“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel is a little dated, but very clean with new wall paper, carpets, and bedding. The room was good sized. The only parking is Valet parking at a cost of $20.00. The continental breakfast was limited in selection. The coffee was very good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Lake Tahoe, NV
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I believe this is the first 1 star review I have given.

I checked in on Sunday night, January 20. I got in on a late flight and got into my room at 1:30 am. Got to sleep around 2:00 and got woken up at 3:00 with trains. Got back to sleep and then woken up at 7:35 with construction guys working on the hotel on my back porch. Was stunned they were working so early.

I then opened up the curtains in my "Parlor Suite" (which I thought was very small for the best suite they had) and I stunned to be staring at a guy with his dog looking at me naked. Come to find out, these rooms have a connective balcony on the 2nd floor and anyone can walk into the back of anyone else's room. I stay in hotels over 100 nights a year and have never experienced this.

I got moved the 2nd night to a room with a private back yard and supposedly quiet (from the trains)room. Trains were going by all night long. There are no rooms I would imagine in this hotel that are not affected by the train noise.

All that was a bummer, but to me, one of the most significant issues was the complete lack of integrity in pricing. I stay at Joie de Vivre hotels and I received a 20% off coupon in my email. So, I used this to book a room and on the website, there are various options for rooms, and the most expensive room was "Parlor Suite". I have no problem for paying for better rooms and I booked this room. The first night I thought it was incredibly small for a suite but I was too tired to do anything about it. After being moved the 2nd night, there was no way it was a suite....it was a regular room. I went to the front desk and after about 10 minutes, I was finally told that my room was not a suite but a regular view room. He said that their computer only shows one rate and does not work with costs on the website. He said that yes, he saw that I had booked the parlor suite but gave me another room (at least one downgrade down and maybe 2 downgrades down) but did not reduce the cost. I asked how they could possibly even begin to charge more for a room and not provide the room......complete bait and switch and he said that yes, I was 100% right, he did not mean to deceive me, but the computer did not support some things with the website and it was too difficult to do. So, he credited me $20 for the one night which was not nearly the amount that it cost me to upgrade. He said he would have a manager call me in the morning and they did not.

After one other bad experience last year at a Joie de Vivre hotel, which I used to love, I can pretty much state that I will not be staying at them again.

Too bad.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Jemez Springs, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Great location, a bit on the old side but lots of charm on the Bay side. My first room was not on the water and was really depressing. Moving to the water side made all the difference. The Jack London area is very nice. But do not go across the tracks. A friend was mugged and it is sketch city there. maybe during the day but not at night. Scotts is a great restaurant nearby.

Room Tip: Get a view of the water and a balcony. Only cost 10$ more.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Venice, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed here one night after arriving by Amtrak from Los Angeles. Walking distance from train station. Room was comfortable and staff was friendly. We couldn't get the TV to work, and the heater didn't work work, and it was too late (after midnight) to get assistance. Nice location.

Yuba City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This is a nice hotel for a weekend getaway. The hotel was having a sale so we opted to go with a suite...I wasn't disappointed, but the room didn't meet my expectations either. Their website made it seem like the room would be a lot more luxurious than it was. The furniture was a little dated but still nice. Without getting too lengthy, it was like a standard room with a little more space. I was expecting more since we paid for a suite - I know for next time to just opt for a standard room We had a nice view of the harbor and the square though and the staff was amazing. Everyone was super nice and very friendly. The only compliant I have is that there was a ton of noise from the room above us.I'm not sure if it was a guest room or a conference room, but it sounded like there were elephants running around in the early hours of the morning. That made it a little difficult to sleep in. And as far as parking, it does cost $20, but you can leave your vehicle there for 24 hours. So if you want to take the ferry to San Francisco you can leave your car there and not have to worry about finding another safe place to park. Considering the cost of parking in San Fran, I didn't mind. I would definitely reccomend this hotel and I plan to go back in the near future.

Room Tip: Don't upgrade to a suite, the standard rooms are just as nice. And ask for a high floor room so...
San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The Waterfront Hotel is located in Jack London Square near downtown. Easily accessible from I-880, The Waterfront offers a tranquil respite for business travelers or a romantic getaway. We enjoy Joie de Vevre hotels and The Waterfront is no exception. Small, cozy and classy best describe this gem with wonderful views of the Marina and Oakland waterway. We recommend a corner king suite with a balcony. In the afternoons, enjoy the sunset on the balcony with complimentary wine and cheese. We were searching for an upscale hotel without the size and hustle of the major chains. The Waterfront was the perfect discovery. It is our only choice for overnight stay in Oakland.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 251. Request a king corner suite!
Alta Loma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This hotel is in a quiet neiborhood in Oakland in the jack London Square. Try to get a 3rd floor room with an ocean view and you will have a great view of the harbor. The ferry to San Francisco is right outside and you can save the parking fees in san Francisco. a down side to this hotel is that you have to pay a mandatory 20.00/night valet parking fee. The rooms are nicely done but the mattresses need replacing and the heater/ac unit is very loud. There is a resturant on site and a several restaurants within a block.

Room Tip: ask for a room withan ocean view on the 3rd floor. Pay minimal fee to upgrade if needed.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Waterfront Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!