“Good Value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Melbourne, Australia
“Good Value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Used this hotel as our base for San Fransisco and it worked out really well and meant we got to see parts of the States we probably wouldn't have seen had we known that some parts of Oakland weren't that great. This place and Jack London Square is a little oasis and we would recommend it to anyone or family if they're looking for a nice place for a very reasonable price..also highly recommend Miss Pearl's Gumbo!!!!

Room Tip: Queen sized rooms were great for our family
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Bridgewater, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Nice location on the waterfront, but the housecleaning was terrible. There was previous guest's trash in the room, used soap in the shower and the tissue box was empty. The room was noisy, both the A/C and thin walls. Hallways were dreary and dimly lit. Free interent access, which was nice, but it kept dropping the connection, which was quite annoying. I was also disappointed in the Jack London Square that the hotel was located in. Surprisingly very few restaurant choices or cafes.i will say that the valet and the front desk were very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Was greeted by bell personnel and helped into the lobby. The check in person was very nice and helpful. She was also able to give me a room with a bay view, which was greatly appreciated. The room was nice, but a little out of the way to get to, as I had to walk outside then down to another lobby to take the elevator.

Rooms were clean and fresh. Housekeeping did a fantastic job during my stay in freshening the room. The hotel also offers a free breakfast (some days it was great, others were a disappointment), as well as an evening reception. They have a selection of local wines and cheeses as well as other snacks. I great welcome after a long work day.

The immediate area is nice...the surrounding area is not. There are also trains that run regularly, so I would recommend a room on the water. You still hear them, but not as bad. They do offer a free shuttle service that left right on schedule throughout the day though that would take you door to door to businesses in the downtown Oakland area.

Since staying here, I have recommended others to stay here, and they too have all had good experiences.

Room Tip: Select a bay view room to block out the train noise.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Weymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed two days at the Waterfront Hotel and it was marvelous. The staff was extremely helpful giving suggestions for transportation to San Francisco. The ferry to Fishermens Pier was only a two minute walk from the hotel. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. We never heard the trains that others complained about! We did eat at Miss Pearls, the restaurant that is attached to the hotel and enjoyed it tremendously. The food was fantastic! I would definitely stay at the Waterfront Hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Nice views, clean comfortable and quiet room. Very courteous staff who provided us with all the information we needed. We had no issues at all here. Very relaxing and charming. I would give 5 stars but there is only a shower, not a tub, and the bathroom is a little small. I'm a fan of boutique hotels and their quirks and the waterfront with its nautical, and sometimes pirate theme, did not disappoint. Beautiful outdoor pool, but a little too chilly today! Here for one night anniversary trip away from home.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This hotel is really well-situated in Jack London Square. It's also a very short stroll to the Sunday Farmer's Market. Walkers will enjoy the proximity to downtown, Chinatown, numerous smaller restaurants, as well as the BART station.

I arrived on a Sunday and was pleased with the positive energy of the check-in staff, but was bummed that the elevator was out of order. I was thrilled to be upgraded and even happier to have a room with a balcony that overlooks the nicer side. And was tickeled by the poolside fashion show.

If only I knew what the night would bring.

One my first night, the room A/C was so, so, so very loud. It rattled, it hissed, it wheezed, it shook. It was annoying. It disturbed my sleep. I live in New York City and am used to noise, but man oh man, the noise was a major downer. I reported the issue the next morning and was told an engineer would investigate.

Unfortunately, I don't think an engineer was sent. In fact, a different receptionist admitted that the hotel is aware of the noise.

Because the hotel was booked, I was stuck staying in the same room.

Also crappy was later learning that another part of the hotel had a working elevator. I paid $299, plus taxes, for a second relatively sleepless night and a broken elevator.

The last bad, but then better, issue was that my checkout receptionist told me I couldn't get a shutte ride to the BART station because it was midday. Didn't matter that the vans were parked. Fortunately, the valets overruled her and wound up taking me and another man to the train.

Considering the third receptionist was aware of the A/C issue, why was she unwilling to say "yes" to the van ride? Why didn't any of the receptionists offer meal vouchers at the restaurant as a way to soften the terrible-ness of the god-awful noise in my room. A small gesture would've gone a long way - especially since I selected this hotel based on two things: TripAdvisor and The New York Times.

Oh well. At least I really enjoyed Oakland!

Room Tip: Listen to the A/C before getting settled. You may need to switch rooms. Stay in the tower area...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I came to Oakland to help my daughter move and was planning on staying in San Francisco for one night near her work. With the Oracle conference in SF all of the hotels were either full up or super pricey. So, after deciding to stay in Oakland, this hotel looked like a good choice. Its on the marina with nice views and most important to me, it felt very safe!

Its a nice hotel with a nautical theme that is actually tastefully done. The beds were super comfy and the high thread count sheets made for a wonderful, comfortable sleep. I had room service in the morning which was delivered right on time and was surprisingly good and not super expensive.

I was a little put off by that fact that they have mandatory valet parking for $20 but I had to walk past my car everytime I went between my room and the lobby - so, I would walk past the car to give the valet my ticket and he would go back and get the car and bring it to me. The room also has windows that open up to the waterfront which the previous occupant had opened and so the room had alot of flies in it! When I mentioned this at checkout I was told I could have called them for a fly swatter - I think they just need to put screens on the windows or make sure that house keeping handles the situation before someone new moves into the room.

Due to having a credit with one of the online booking services I paid less then half price for the room, so taking everything into account it was still good for me!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Waterfront Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!