“Great, boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Wine on the Waterfront
Ranked #5 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
“Great, boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I recently spent a night at the Waterfront Hotel. The staff were amazing, we arrived early in the morning for a conference my husband was attending. The valet parked our car directly in front of the hotel so that I could retrieve our luggage later in the day and then drove me to the BART station an hour later so that I could spend the day in San Francisco. When I checked into the hotel that afternoon, we were given an beautiful room with a view of the harbor. The staff even called a few hours later to make sure that we were happy. This is a great hotel, next to the ferry to SF and many restaurants.

Room Tip: Choose a room with the harbor view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Mesa, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I am sitting here in my room writing this review! I am very displeased with the service and conditions here at this hotel. Admittedly, on the outside, it is a quaint little establishment with all the looks of a very nice place to stay. I preface the rest of this with my extreme loathing of the phrase, "I apologize, Sir!"

Last night I checked in, to a well rehearsed welcome speech that definitely did not have "believe me" in her tone. She quietly asked if I had problems with stairs, because, of course, "I apologize, Sir! but the elevator is out of service..."

I get to my room to find that after a long day of travel, I could only use the toilet once because it does not flush. I went to bed, shrugging these things off as simple problems. But... when I abruptly awoke at 4:30 am to the lovely sound of a man in the next room talking about his sexual exploits and how much money he was gonna make on this next deal he was working on. The walls are "paper thin". I managed to make it until 5:15 before I could not longer take it and got up to take my shower, only to find that the toilet was not the only thing that would not drain. Apparently, the pipes had backed up into the tub.

I reported the tub, toilet, and "pimp daddy" to the front desk when I left for work, and again heard "I apologize, Sir!" but was assured that all would be remedied.

When work was done, as instructed, I called the hotel for shuttle service back to the hotel from the Oakland City Center where they dropped me off, but even though they advertise shuttle service until 8pm, they regretted to inform me that their driver was also their valet, and I would need to find alternate means of returning. So i had to walk 10 blocks because there was not a cab in site. When I arrived at the hotel, guess what I heard? "I apologize, Sir, for any inconvenience this may have caused."

I arrived at my room to find a Do Not Disturb Card on my door and a note that said "Sorry for not servicing your room, but we respect your privacy." I entered to find the tub and toilet still in its state of disrepair.

I tried to log onto my computer to write a review, but it appeared that my room had been cut off from accessing my internet privileges. I called the front desk... "I apologize, Sir, but our internet is from an outside vendor, and you have to take this up with them..." An hour later after 37 minutes on hold, i managed to get my account straight.

So here I am... regretting every minute that my client booked me in this hotel. I feel disgusted that they paid over $500 for two nights that have been worse, in my experience, than staying at a Motel 6.

I am sure many of you can overlook these little things, because the view from my room is fantastic, but that view is not of this hotel. Some people like saying that they stayed in a pricey hotel, but it still has to have a value added side to it.

In my travels, I have stayed in everything from the cheap dive motels to the Waldorf Astoria in New York, and this has to be the worst value for the price that I can speak of. At least in a dive you expect the worst. I hope that this helps you decide where to stay on your next visit to Oakland, I know the next time I come, I am going back to the City Center Marriott.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The waterfront Hotel is in a beautiful part of Oakland. The hotel's views of the waterfront are exquisite.

The staff at the hotel are pleasant, the rooms are nice but it is the outlook over the bay that is the best thing about staying here. I would have rated this hotel higher but on the night before we were leaving guests moved into the room above us and we could hear every move they made. Every step sounded like a thud, so up until 12.15 am we were still awake by the noises. They stopped till 7.15 am when the thudding started again.

We arrived on a Friday and on Saturday and Sunday thought we would use the Hotel shuttle. - only to be told that it doesn't run on weekends. Previous reviews have mentioned the noise from the Amtrak trains whistle. Yes it is loud but it does quieten down in the evenings. We did use the ferry and the trains to get over to the San Francisco side of the bay and we were glad we were staying on the Oakland side. There are beggars on both sides and they are prominent as you walk into Oakland but they don't hassle you.

I would only recommend this hotel if you were assured a top floor room.

Room Tip: Only accept a top floor room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We were lucky to find the Waterfront after almost every hotel in San Francisco was booked up because of series of big events the weekend we visited...and we were so glad we did. I travel a lot and stay at a lot of upscale hotels but the Waterfront is as good as any Marriott but with more character. Great location next to Yoshi's Jazz Bar (same owners as SF) and we chose to eat at Miss Pearls (at the hotel instead of going back to SF). Excellent Southern Gourmet.

The staff was especially kind and helpful with a special shout-out to Tatianna and the front desk. She gave the hotel a warm (at home) feel that you don't find at chain hotels. I bugged her with all kinds of questions and she proved to be very well informed and I wisely followed her advice.

So I never thought of visiting Oakland till now and it was more or less be happenstance. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to this hotel again. Clean comfortable rooms too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stayed here while visiting relatives in Alameda. Great room, LOVE the fact it is pet friendly. Front desk staff were great. Good coffee in the AM in the lobby. Hallways needed an overhall. But rooms were a good size, staff were able to supply us with a fridge at no cost. Valet staff friendly and efficient. We never had to wait long for our car.

Room Tip: Our room faced the city side and was fine.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Hotel is in Jack London Square, which can be a good and a bad thing.

By and large, Jack London Sq is a safe neighborhood, with a lot of new bars/restaurants. Located right on the inlet/water, across from Alameda Island. The hotel is right on the water, as is the nice pool, and a few of the balconies.

However, Jack London Sq also has an Amtrak Station/Caltrain that rolls through there quite a bit. AND...the conductor legally has to blow the whistle at every cross street. So if you have to be up for work at 7 AM, chances are you'll be awake....at 5:30.

Quite frankly, that is the one negative of the hotel.

Other than that, the rooms I've stayed in have been great. On both occasions I was facing the water, so I think the train whistle was minimized. On weekends the train barely runs, so it's not an issue. It hasn't woken me. However, that whistle has woken me on Lake Merritt, where I live, which is a mile away.

They have a great little foyer/lobby with nice couches, fireplace, and access to a patio/pool area. I've read a book down there a number of times in total relaxation.

Hotel is right next to Yoshi's, and close enough to a lot of other things.

Weekend: 4 Stars
Weekday w/o earplugs 2.5
Weekday w/ earplugs 3.5

Room Tip: Stay in the back, preferably a room with balcony. VERY RELAXING. Overlooks the water and the pool...
Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Topeka, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was my third stay at Waterfront Hotel at Jack London Square & I'll definitely use it again. Big plus is the water & marina view, but also the ferry landing is right there. So fun to take that over to San Francisco vs driving. They need to update a bit, especially carpet in hallways, but overall it's nice, clean, great location & has lots of restaurants close by.

Room Tip: Get a water view room if you can.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Waterfront Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!