“great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 47 hotels in Oakland
A TripAdvisor Member
“great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

we have stayed here a few times and are always pleased. It is close to the events in the area, close shopping for any needs you have forgotten and terrific staff. Easy to get to the airport or BART with their guest shuttles and lovely to have breakfast in the morning .

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

174 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

First of all let me say that the staff at this hotel was extremely polite, friendly, and helpful. I believe they are doing the best that they can do under difficult circumstances. Those circumstances seem to consist of a situation where either the individual management of this property or the corporate office of La Quinta has decided not to maintain this hotel at the level of other La Quinta sites. The result is that this hotel is far below the standard of other La Quinta properties where I have stayed.

The overall quality of the furniture and fixtures in the room was cheap and flimsy. Although the bathroom was very clean and the bedding also appeared to be clean, one of the chairs had stains on the seat and the toilet barely flushed. The room had only a small wardrobe instead of a closet; the television not only was not HD, it had the worst picture I’ve seen in years (severe ghosting) and the WiFi only worked in the bathroom. The furniture in the lobby was dirty and shabby ; although the breakfast did offer do-‘em-yourself waffles, the rest of the breakfast consisted of boiled eggs, toast, and cold cereal and there was only powdered creamer for the coffee. Riding the shuttle from the airport after returning the rental car the night before we left Oakland felt like quite an adventure, as the shuttle van appeared to be on its last legs; the driver had to place it in neutral at every traffic stop to keep the engine from dying. The interior of the van was dirty, the seat upholstery was battered and collapsed and the interior door handle was broken so that I had to exit the van by climbing from the middle seat through the front passenger door. Fortunately, the shuttle to the airport the following morning was somewhat newer and sturdier although it appeared to be a shared service that stopped at three other hotels in the area.

In summary, I reserved a room at this property based on past good experiences at La Quinta properties but I was very disappointed with the overall low quality of the physical aspects of the property, shuttle, etc. although, as I mentioned earlier, the staff were extremely professional and courteous. I believe the shabby state of this property is due to decisions by upper management or lack of budgetary support at the corporate level. I would certainly understand (and agree) if the management needed to raise prices to support the higher standards that usually characterize La Quinta properties. This would be better than disappointing loyal La Quinta customers who expect to receive higher quality than this property delivers.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We were looking for a place to stay near the Oakland A's Ballpark. We were delighted to find a LaQuinta near it and within walking distance.

The staff was friendly and efficient. Great room and quiet even though there were 2 Asian student groups that stayed at the facility at the same time they were placed on different floors so the guests on level 1 never heard them until the lobby was full at breakfast.

If we return to this area we will definitely restay at this LaQuinta

Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

How shall I begin? The moment we walked into our room we were greeted by the stench of mold. Apparently, we were placed in a "handicapped room", meaning that the bathroom was handicapped friendly, as in it was practically a "rain room." Anytime someone took a shower, the whole floor in the bathroom was soaked, and the tiles had dark mold in between each tile. There was no ventilation fan in the bathroom, and not even a soap holder. There was no place to put your shampoo bottles/soap in the shower. It was practically a shower head sticking out of the wall, and the water went everywhere. In order not to have your clothes soaked you had to put them on the toilet top.

We were a group of four and they only gave us one wash cloth.

There also was no comforter or top blanket on the beds, only two flimsy sheets and a little blanket. Because there was no ventilation fan, the entire room became damp anytime someone took a shower. The carpet was damp and sticky, and the "free WIFI" was impossible to get up and running.

Because of this experience, we have decided to never use La Quinta ever again. It's the second time that we have been disappointed. Ya, we know that it's not a 5 star hotel, but it's not that hard to install a fan in the bathroom or bleach the floor.

We left this La Quinta, eager to go home, happy we didn't have to endure another night of the "mold cave."

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
Panama City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

This hotel is located very close to the ball park an easy drive. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Pretty good value for this area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Redding, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

I have stayed at this location 20-30 times over the past year. Recently after each stay I always say I will book at another hotel. Unfortunately other hotels aren't always avaialable, so I have kept coming back. The lights in the bathroom and the entry to the room are on a motion sensor and a timer. Also the air conditioner is on a motion sensor. On a hot night, when you go to bed, it will shut off. If you aren't moving around it turns off after a while. But to help you guys out who plan to stay here, just unplug the air conditioner from the box that's on the wall and plug it directly into the outlet (make sure it is turned off while you do this to be safe). That will keep it running for as long as you want it to. On my last stay there wasn't a single towel in the bathroom. I called the front desk and she said they would bring some up...... After 2 hours I called again and the manager answered. This time someone delivered the towels. There was not a laundry bag in the closet. Also, on many of my past trips foreign tour groups show up in busses and all of a sudden the hallways get very noisy. They slam doors, yell to eachother thru the doors from the hallways, and hang out in the halls talking to each other, keeping me awake. I have never had my car broken into at this hotel, but it is usually one of my biggest concerns. I know other people have had theirs broken into. This is not a safe neighborhood. They do have a security guy who walks the parking lot at night when he isn't in the lobby reading, or sleeping on the couch (I have seen him do both). I would expect more from him after the robbery/murder that took place in a room here back in 2007. Also, where are the HD tv's? I heard that they bought them months ago, but yet the crappy analog tv's are still in the rooms. Also, don't count on the ice machine on the 3rd floor to be working. There has been a sign on it for almost a year that it is out of order. I guess management has no desire to replace it. One more thing, you may want to bring your own pillow. I have never seen such a flat pillow before.

The only good thing I can say about this place is the wonderful woman who works at the front desk until 3pm. She is so nice and sweet. I actually look forward to seeing her each time I book this hotel. I don't dare show up after 3 though, because the service is never, even remotely, as good. I'm sorry I forget her name, because you guys would love her!

Room Tip: If I were you I would ask for a room on the top floor all the way at the end of the hallway. That sh...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to La Quinta Inn Oakland Airport Coliseum? Share your experiences!