“A little dated but solid” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1755 Embarcadero, Oakland, CA 94606   |
Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oceanside, California
“A little dated but solid”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We enjoyed our stay and would return. With that out of the way, there were some minor issues e.g., a slow drain in the tub that was not fixed during my stay despite me notifying the front desk, or the whirlpool jets not working, or the bathroom door opening and hitting the sink unless you shut it each time you leave the bathroom. The facilities look a little dated and could use a refresh.
The free shuttle service is great. The breakfast is good and complete. The staff was super friendly.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Polish first
Roseville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I needed a hotel in Oakland to avoid some bay area traffic for a morning meeting. My flight came in about 11:30 PM, and after a 15 minute drive from the airport, I was parked. Check in was fast and pleasant. My room was freshly remodeled and IMMACULATE. I travel a lot, and I don't think I've ever been in a more thoroughly cleaned room. The room layout itself was a little dated, but the furnishings, paint, fixtures, carpet were all new. Nice shower and a good bed, sheets and towels. Never heard noise while I was there.
Although breakfast was included, I only grabbed a banana. I did scope out the food and it looked like typical Continental fare. I didn't have a room with a view, but the water sides looked nice...more of a lagoon than the "bay" though. Checkout was smooth and easy. All in all a very smooth and pleasant stay.

Room Tip: ask for one of the newly refurbished rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed here for 5 days in early June and loved it. Waterfront property, right across the coastguard island in Brooklyn Basin. Waterside trail was directly accessible from the patio my ground floor room.

Rooms are nice and specious. But nothing great about it. It has everything that you'd expect. Comfortable. But no wow factor.

If you are staying towards the end of the property, as in my case, room 158, wifi intenet was non-existent. Please choose a more central room. I was frustrated. However the lobby area had good wifi signal strength.

Breakfast spread was good. Alameda is only 5 mins drive with lots of eating choices. However there is nothing in the immediate vicinity (10 mins walking radius) of this property.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Deer Park, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Completely RUDE managers and front desk people. Charged wrong credit card after asking them to charge a different card and they tried to say it was okay to do. Gave our room away because we "didn't deserve it because we didn't pay as much as someone else because we had a military discount." Talked down to us and talked down to the new girl and embarrassed her in front of guests.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
MHochstatter, General Manager at Executive Inn and Suites, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Dustin-Laynee

Allow me to apologizing for the experience you had at our desk. The encounter you describe is not how we run our hotel and definitely not how we want to treat our guests or each other. If you have a moment please call me at the hotel as I would like to know more about the experience in order to make sure that it never happens again.

LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We stayed at the Executive Inn for 4 nights, as it was recommended by our friend who was hosting a number of events over an extended weekend. There was a mix-up (or a misstep) upon our arrival - the room we booked was not available even though I had booked it way in advance, given a deposit, reconfirmed the night before, and alerted them that we'd be arriving from the airport late. There was no indication that we wouldn't be getting the Deluxe King Waterview room. In any case, the staff remained professional and did everything they could to get us to the correct room the next day. (The other King room they gave us for the first night was still water view but it was smaller and didn't have a solid wall between the bedroom and bathroom vanity area - not ideal.)

After that minor glitch, our stay went very well. All the staff, including manager Miguel T and various other employees, were welcoming, very accommodating and gracious. (By the way, when we called down to the front desk to get the internet code that first night, personnel who answered the phone seemed to know about our situation and apologized again, assuring us that things would be taken care of first thing when the manager arrived. Nice touch.) I'd read TA reviews about the staff and I was very glad that those glowing reviews were true!

We used the hotel shuttle several times (e.g., Jack London Square, Chinatown, BART station), which was great and I have to say, one of the reasons we'd chosen this hotel because we didn't have a car for the weekend. The free hotel shuttle is definitely a wonderful service - a great value and an opportunity to see parts of Oakland that we typically overlook.

Since the property is in the middle of renovations, I do hope they consider upgrading their so-called gym. It was a very small room with a treadmill, I think a bike, and multi-purpose machine. I couldn't imagine trying to work out with another person in the room - it was just too small with limited equipment and would get stuffy quickly.

Otherwise, the hotel was a good choice due to its courteous staff, fine breakfast, great shuttle service, free internet, and pretty water view. I would stay here again when I'm next in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Pleasantly surprised by the hotel and staff. Staying in Oakland because our granddaughter is in the children's hospital. First stay was at another hotel but it was very poorly kept up. Moved to this hotel after the recommendation of hospital staff. Very clean rooms, nice breakfast in the mornings. Very nice staff. Walking along the water with a nice view. Definitely would stay again hopefully for a fun situation.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Aliso Viejo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Depending on why you are staying at this hotel makes the difference. If you need to be in the city, they have a shuttle to the local BART and it can be quite easy to get into the city. Unfortunately, there is nothing very close to this hotel worth noting. You need to either taxi or get a shuttle. If you work in this particular area of Oakland then this may be OK

There are two sides to this property and a sister property. We stayed on the non-renovated side as we didn't know any better. The renovated side is a world of difference from the old tired side we stayed at but I understand they are beginning to renovate this side too.

The water view is very nice in the evening although they charged extra for it. It should've been comped based on the poor shape of the rooms.

The lounge staff were quite good each and every evening. They also have a Steak and a Salmon BBQ dinner evening that is excellent.

I'm sure the reviews next year will be better for those staying after they finish the upgrades.

Room Tip: Ask for water view
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to Executive Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!