“Great hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Well situated hotel for trips into San Francisco. Lovely location overlooking the water. Great shuttle service to the Bart Station - just had to book your trip every day and then just ring when you're back at the station, the staff come to fetch you within minutes. Nice pool area, but the hot tub wasn't working which was a shame.
Excellent breakfust buffet, lots of choice, and coffee on offer all day. But I have to give a huge 'thank you' to Howie in the restaurant, who conjured up mouth-watering steaks on the bbq in the evenings! Honestly, I have never tasted steaks like them! They melted in your mouth! Don't miss them, if you have the opportunity to stay at this hotel. Even though there was no menu per se in the evenings, Howie cooked up a sensation for an amazingly reasonable price - $10 for a thick steak, salad and mashed potatoes - fab!
Would definitely recommend this hotel (but make sure you sample Howie's steaks.......)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Polish first
Tigard, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My daughter and I booked the hotel on recommendation of one of the colleges we were staying in. We were picked up promptly from the airport by their shuttle. The shuttle service alone made the room worth it. Doris is a gem! Always friendly and taking us smiling to BART, one of our colleges,etc. We felt like we were being "ferried" by a friend! She even said to let her know how my daughter does with colleges. Unfortunately she can't work 24/7 lol... The rest of shuttle staff were friendly, but Doris takes it to a new level. The rest of the staff were friendly and helpful as well. Room was clean and roomy, we were on the bay side and has a great view. We also had a neighbor I was a little concerned about as I went to our room and heard their music through the door, but in the room I heard nothing (they were next door not across the hall). The only issues we had were very minor. First off our toilet needed handle adjustment to refill on its own, the hot tub is more of a soaking tub as the jets were non-existent in power, and and housekeeping needs to be sure to check coffee pots when cleaning rooms for new tenant (ours was still half full of coffee), the pillows were a little hard for my taste also. My only major complaint was that at the end of one of our days, we contacted the hotel close to our BART station as we were two women (mother and daughter) traveling and didn't want to wait at night; we were told to call again when we arrived and then waited for 20 minutes for the shuttle in an area we were a little nervous about although the BART station is well lit. The breakfast was comparable to other hotels that do an extended continental breakfast. I appreciated that when they ask you to hang towels if you will use them again, they don't replace them anyway as other hotels do, they seem intent on being as eco-friendly as they can. Overall I would recommend the hotel but do request bay side as the other side is very close to the freeway. Also be sure to schedule shuttle trips (early) as they list on the website shuttle leaves every half hour, but don't say you need to schedule and can't get on one without pre-arrangement so you may find yourself limited

Room Tip: Rooms on bay are quieter with good view of Oakland inlet.
Green Features: The hotel asks you to reuse bed linens if you are comfortable and to hang towels if you want to reuse and actually leaves them for you to use again
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

After flying across the country, the last thing I wanted to hear was a problem. Executive Inn had overbooked and they reserved the right to ship us to a comparable hotel. Except it wasn't comparable...it was awful. I complained...a lot. Management assured me this never happens and they went into overdrive. A day later they sent a shuttle to return us to Executive Inn. Things got awesome from there.

The rooms were very clean. Staff couldn't have been more pleasant. The views were lovely. Building security was comforting for a woman traveling alone. The quality of the amenities was an exceptional value...from the sharp flat screen tvs to the great water pressure in the showers and the freshly bleached towels, it was excellent.

There is no restaurant onsite but an amped up continental breakfast is served in the bar. And then there's Howie. Howie is the hidden treasure of the Executive Inn. He's the resident bartender who also grills steaks...four-inch thick, melt-in-your mouth steaks at value prices. He's that bartender who knows his craft, reads people like a pro and talks as much or as little as customers like.

It should be noted that long after I was satisfied, Executive Inn staff kept making up for the error. They upgraded my room, moved my belongings for me and bought my dinner. Mark, Frederick, Enrique, Miguel, Mike and Howie could not have done more.

If you find yourself in Oakland, stay at the Executive Inn. You'll be glad you did.

• Stayed August 2013
Bakersfield, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Several weeks prior, I made reservations for a handicap accessible room for two nights, August 7th and 8th at the Executive Inn and Suites. When I arrived about 6:45 pm on August 7th, I was told that there were no handicap accessible rooms left. I asked what they could do for me with another room or hotel, but the clerk said there wasn't anything she could do since they were oversold. I think she really just thought I was going to just leave. I then asked for the manager and one did come quickly. She said they did have one regular room on first floor, but it wasn't designated as handicap accessible. I said it has to be big enough for wheelchair to get into the bathroom, so it might work. They offered to take me to the room and show it to me. It took all of five minutes for the clerk to show me the room and we went back to the front desk so I could sign in. When we got back to the front desk the manager said the another desk clerk has assigned that room to another incoming guest while I was looking at it and that was the last room they had. She was at the front desk when it happened, but she didn't stop the room from being given to some else. She told me was now trying to get me a room at the Comfort Suites at the Oakland Airport for this night. And that if I checked with back with them tomorrow they might have room for the second night at the Executive Inn. I guess being offered the possibility of a room being available for August 8th was so they only had to comp me for one night at the Comfort Inn.

I have stayed at the Executive Inn before on business trips, but it has been some years since I have been back to the Bay Area and Executive Inn management is sure not the same. I used to suggest the facility to people who were looking to stay on the Oakland side. I obviously will not be recommending it anymore.

Comfort had one room left on the first floor and since my disabled wife had been in the car for hours I didn't want to spend a lot of time trying to get another room. The room was a regular room, but big enough for the wheelchair. It is not the same grade of facility, but at least their staff was helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Its a decent enough hotel in a pretty ordinary part of town. Room clean enough and wi-fi worked just fine.
Although backing onto the water - Room 312 did not have a view. It is supposed to look out over the water but a huge eucalyptus that needs to be taken down (I'm sorry but no amount of pruning will do it - see earlier review and management response) entirely that blocks the light and the view.
Friendly front desk. Ordinary breakfast that uses far too much disposable material for my liking (what is wrong with proper plates and steel cutlery?).
Overall it was fine, and if you are going to watch the A's play it is extremely convenient (5 mins from Coliseum stadium back to the room).

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back (the freeway runs above ground to the front) with a view over the water...
Green Features: what is wrong with proper plates and steel cutlery? it may be that all the plastic stuff is actually recycled but it is horrible to eat with.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manhattan Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

First of all the property is separated from Oakland by a large freeway so it feels comfortable and we have never had, seen, or heard any problems. But highly recommend you do not go on the other side of the freeway. That said, the rooms are large and comfortable although some have yet to be upgraded. The free breakfast ranges from mediocre to very good on different days. They could also use another waffle iron. Our last trip we noticed a much increased level of smoking outside the hotel and several time smelled smoke on our balcony. Our first four or five stays here the staff was very helpful in upgrading rooms and finding a better rate, even good discounts. We very much missed that part our last trip. Expect we will be looking for another place to stay in the area.

Room Tip: The rooms on the water side are quieter, however, the freeway noise is not very high on the road sid...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Washington State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed two separate nights about a week apart. Got the same room and had two different experiences in the same room. Furnishings somewhat dated (large older tv the first night but a brand new flat screen by the last night) – room has microwave, and larger mini fridge that was cold and nice. Room is large, two queen beds are comfortable.

Very noisy next to highway (get a room at the back of the hotel towards water (which I was offered for an upgrade fee of 20.00 a night which I declined). Website shows waterfront walkway, but it doesn’t go very far. The walkway stops in a pretty scary spot, not necessarily safe in this area, not recommended for a walk about. Front desk wants to be helpful but has inaccurate information on some things.

VERY nice shuttle service and driver (Sam) will take you anywhere and pick you up which we highly recommend rather than walking about in this area. Beds have very thin linens with only one sheet and one blanket and then a top sheet for a comforter and need to be pulled out of the tuck to even get them to your chin. (I hate that) – had to ask for more blankets which they brought very quickly. Luggage trolley was helpful along with an elevator if you are on top floor (being on top floor helps decrease the street noise from the highway). Hallways very smelly and musty, haven't been upgraded in a while. Not much within walking distance (if it were even safe to do so) German bar down the street recommended by front desk was VERY pricey. (if you want an expensive beer and a sausage this is your place).

Asked about ordering a pizza delivery, was given only one bad option - no mention of the Domino’s right there with great prices and perfect delivery, but instead was given only one place (Round Table) with high prices (seriously, 15.99 for a tiny small one topping pizza when Domino’s brought us an extra large two topping for 9.99 and free and very fast delivery) I had leftover pizza for lunch the next day and so did my daughter.

The bathtowels the first stay were thin and scratchy but the last night we stayed a week later, wow, the towels had been upgraded to lovely and so fluffy and luxurious, even better than the 4 star hotel we had stayed at over the weekend.

The included breakfast was pretty good. Scrambled "instant' eggs and some hash browns, you can make waffles and they have several toppings, cereal, several types of yogurt, fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, and pastries, muffins or different breads to toast. They ran out at 8:30 am the first stay so we went at 6 am and got our food the second stay which this time included biscuits and gravy. We just warmed it later but at least we got some. They do replenish but we did have to ask when all of the coffee urn were emptied. Very good for a free breakfast.

It was fairly close to the airport, though some hotels were closer. If there were a lot of traffic on the 880 it would be difficult to sit there with a pending flight waiting.

Staff here excel in customer service and friendliness. I would definitely stay again and in fact did choose it again for a stay later in the same week, so glad I did!

Room Tip: If you are willing to pay for an upgrade the rooms on the water side are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Executive Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!