“Reservations Are Not Honored” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 47 hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bakersfield, California
“Reservations Are Not Honored”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Several weeks prior, I made reservations for a handicap accessible room for two nights, August 7th and 8th at the Executive Inn and Suites. When I arrived about 6:45 pm on August 7th, I was told that there were no handicap accessible rooms left. I asked what they could do for me with another room or hotel, but the clerk said there wasn't anything she could do since they were oversold. I think she really just thought I was going to just leave. I then asked for the manager and one did come quickly. She said they did have one regular room on first floor, but it wasn't designated as handicap accessible. I said it has to be big enough for wheelchair to get into the bathroom, so it might work. They offered to take me to the room and show it to me. It took all of five minutes for the clerk to show me the room and we went back to the front desk so I could sign in. When we got back to the front desk the manager said the another desk clerk has assigned that room to another incoming guest while I was looking at it and that was the last room they had. She was at the front desk when it happened, but she didn't stop the room from being given to some else. She told me was now trying to get me a room at the Comfort Suites at the Oakland Airport for this night. And that if I checked with back with them tomorrow they might have room for the second night at the Executive Inn. I guess being offered the possibility of a room being available for August 8th was so they only had to comp me for one night at the Comfort Inn.

I have stayed at the Executive Inn before on business trips, but it has been some years since I have been back to the Bay Area and Executive Inn management is sure not the same. I used to suggest the facility to people who were looking to stay on the Oakland side. I obviously will not be recommending it anymore.

Comfort had one room left on the first floor and since my disabled wife had been in the car for hours I didn't want to spend a lot of time trying to get another room. The room was a regular room, but big enough for the wheelchair. It is not the same grade of facility, but at least their staff was helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

515 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Polish first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Its a decent enough hotel in a pretty ordinary part of town. Room clean enough and wi-fi worked just fine.
Although backing onto the water - Room 312 did not have a view. It is supposed to look out over the water but a huge eucalyptus that needs to be taken down (I'm sorry but no amount of pruning will do it - see earlier review and management response) entirely that blocks the light and the view.
Friendly front desk. Ordinary breakfast that uses far too much disposable material for my liking (what is wrong with proper plates and steel cutlery?).
Overall it was fine, and if you are going to watch the A's play it is extremely convenient (5 mins from Coliseum stadium back to the room).

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back (the freeway runs above ground to the front) with a view over the water...
Green Features: what is wrong with proper plates and steel cutlery? it may be that all the plastic stuff is actually recycled but it is horrible to eat with.
Manhattan Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

First of all the property is separated from Oakland by a large freeway so it feels comfortable and we have never had, seen, or heard any problems. But highly recommend you do not go on the other side of the freeway. That said, the rooms are large and comfortable although some have yet to be upgraded. The free breakfast ranges from mediocre to very good on different days. They could also use another waffle iron. Our last trip we noticed a much increased level of smoking outside the hotel and several time smelled smoke on our balcony. Our first four or five stays here the staff was very helpful in upgrading rooms and finding a better rate, even good discounts. We very much missed that part our last trip. Expect we will be looking for another place to stay in the area.

Room Tip: The rooms on the water side are quieter, however, the freeway noise is not very high on the road sid...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Washington State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed two separate nights about a week apart. Got the same room and had two different experiences in the same room. Furnishings somewhat dated (large older tv the first night but a brand new flat screen by the last night) – room has microwave, and larger mini fridge that was cold and nice. Room is large, two queen beds are comfortable.

Very noisy next to highway (get a room at the back of the hotel towards water (which I was offered for an upgrade fee of 20.00 a night which I declined). Website shows waterfront walkway, but it doesn’t go very far. The walkway stops in a pretty scary spot, not necessarily safe in this area, not recommended for a walk about. Front desk wants to be helpful but has inaccurate information on some things.

VERY nice shuttle service and driver (Sam) will take you anywhere and pick you up which we highly recommend rather than walking about in this area. Beds have very thin linens with only one sheet and one blanket and then a top sheet for a comforter and need to be pulled out of the tuck to even get them to your chin. (I hate that) – had to ask for more blankets which they brought very quickly. Luggage trolley was helpful along with an elevator if you are on top floor (being on top floor helps decrease the street noise from the highway). Hallways very smelly and musty, haven't been upgraded in a while. Not much within walking distance (if it were even safe to do so) German bar down the street recommended by front desk was VERY pricey. (if you want an expensive beer and a sausage this is your place).

Asked about ordering a pizza delivery, was given only one bad option - no mention of the Domino’s right there with great prices and perfect delivery, but instead was given only one place (Round Table) with high prices (seriously, 15.99 for a tiny small one topping pizza when Domino’s brought us an extra large two topping for 9.99 and free and very fast delivery) I had leftover pizza for lunch the next day and so did my daughter.

The bathtowels the first stay were thin and scratchy but the last night we stayed a week later, wow, the towels had been upgraded to lovely and so fluffy and luxurious, even better than the 4 star hotel we had stayed at over the weekend.

The included breakfast was pretty good. Scrambled "instant' eggs and some hash browns, you can make waffles and they have several toppings, cereal, several types of yogurt, fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, and pastries, muffins or different breads to toast. They ran out at 8:30 am the first stay so we went at 6 am and got our food the second stay which this time included biscuits and gravy. We just warmed it later but at least we got some. They do replenish but we did have to ask when all of the coffee urn were emptied. Very good for a free breakfast.

It was fairly close to the airport, though some hotels were closer. If there were a lot of traffic on the 880 it would be difficult to sit there with a pending flight waiting.

Staff here excel in customer service and friendliness. I would definitely stay again and in fact did choose it again for a stay later in the same week, so glad I did!

Room Tip: If you are willing to pay for an upgrade the rooms on the water side are quieter.
Manteca, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times and find the rooms large and clean, the staff excellent and the location very convenient. This time we did experience several inappropriate noise issues past midnight but when we alerted the front desk these were immediately taken care of.

One thing we also noticed this visit - smoking on the breakfast patio and room patios. Since this is a 100% smoke free hotel we were very surprised by this issue.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the water are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
DanielSalesManager, Manager at Executive Inn and Suites, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. However, it was troubling to hear about the smoking issue that you experienced. We take our non-smoking policy very seriously, and we try to inform our guests that smoking is not allowed on the breakfast patio, directly underneath our guest room balconies. I am glad you brought this up, as I will make sure we are much clearer on our communication with our guests.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us!
Patterson, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

I actually stayed next door at best western. But they share a shuttle. Doris is the driver and what a joy she is. Timely. Funny and very considerate. I realized that I had left my phone in the van so I called the hotel and that wonderful woman turned around and brought me back my phone. Although I did not stay at the property I did go have BBQ and a drink there and I have to say it was a very nice property. I would stay there for sure. Thank you Doris! You saved the day!

• Stayed July 2013
vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

If you haven't clued in yet, I will only be writing about my exceptionally excellent experience while staying at the Executive Inn & Suites, Oakland, CA. So if you're still interested, read on!

BOOKING:
I stayed with Executive Inn & Suites (EIS) because it was part of an air and hotel package through Allegiant Air. I have to admit that I thought this place would be a not-so-good motel or inn, however with the exceptional reviews through tripadvisor, I was convinced it couldn't be that bad, as well, Quality Inn, Motel 6 and Best Western are close in proximity, so the location must be ok.....haven't regretted it!
Since this was our 1st family trip with a baby I emailed EIS to inquire and confirm the following:
A) the room had a fridge and microwave (great for baby milk and solid storage!)
B) baby crib, this was on a first come basis, so we lucked out and got it!

HOTEL PERK: they have a free shuttle pick up from OAKLAND airport to EIS, so once you're off the plane and picked up your luggage, give them a call and they will let you know where they will pick u up (usually where the hotel shuttles will pick up which is right outside the hotel airport, very convenient).

FRONT DESK: friendly and knowledgeable staff!
Restaurant info, transportation info, etc.
They were in the loop with the BART strike so they helped us with information to get into San Francisco during that time. The hotel shuttle takes you to the closest BART station (Lake Meridian) or Jack London Square (the ferry).

ROOMS:
we lucked out and got a room with a balcony facing the water, it was very calm and serene with canada geese that hang out there in the mornings, made us think we were back home in Canada!
The room was standard, a little dated but ok clean. I usually don't inspect rooms too thoroughly in case I do find anything I didn't want to see, however, this time it was pretty obvious. There were a few dry fruit loops (cereal) near the garbage can area which couldn't have been us since we had just checked in. oh well, life goes on!

BREAKFAST:
They have complimentary breakfast for registered guests every morning. Standard items such as: cereals, milk, fruit, toast, bagel, English muffin, Danish pastry, make your own waffle, asst'd juice, tea, coffee, hot items vary each day, so you may possibly get: scramble eggs, egg omelet, sausage, biscuit & gravy.

BUSINESS CENTRE:
They have 2 computers with printers available for hotel guests, very handy for airport check-in online.

LAUNDRY:
We did laundry there, you will need $2 worth of QUARTERS for the machine, they have a dispenser for laundry soap if you forget yours and the use of the dryer was $0.50.

OUTSIDE POOL:
This may be the warmest outdoor pool that I have EVER encountered, We've only been in there in the mornings, I'm not sure if it's warm in the evening; they have a 1-3 person hot tub next to the pool.

LOCATION: If you have a car, they have free parking at the hotel, from what I read from other reviews, this is rare and a great perk since parking in San Francisco can be up to $35/day to park your car.
The hotel is a bit far from anything (near the highway), you can take a leisurely stroll along the promenade next to the water.
There is a pub/restaurant that is 5-10 minute walk; a Starbucks and a Quiznos sub 5-10 minute walk (different direction from pub/restaurant).

Overall, we enjoyed our stay here (as you can obviously read), the staff made our first trip with a baby and during the BART strike VERY enjoyable and non stressful (shuttle and all!)

I hope this review helps ease your mind booking with the Executive Inn & Suites Embarcadero Cove!

Room Tip: For quietness: you may want to request for room(s) away from ice machine and laundry, there is no do...
Green Features: I think I got an older part of the hotel so I didn't get any 'recycle' pails in the room, however, I read in their binder that the hotel does recycle. I had 2 garbage pails in the room so I used one for plastic bottles and cardboard/paper for housekeeping to recycle them.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
DanielSalesManager, Manager at Executive Inn and Suites, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for sharing your detailed review about our hotel and your experience with us. This will help many of our future and potential guests, figure out if we are a good fit for them. Our guest is our number one priority, so I am very glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us. I will be more than happy to welcome you back to us in the future!

Been to Executive Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!