“Clean and Peaceful” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Santa Cruz, California
“Clean and Peaceful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The facility was clean and with a waterside room, very quiet and peaceful. There is a walkway along the water that leads to a brewery with average food but good beer. It is also not far from Jack London Square. The breakfast had the usual offerings including a waffle station. I appreciated they had real ceramic bowls for my oatmeal, compostable tableware, and ripe bananas. Unfortunately the coffee was bitter and they did not have real creamer. The room did not have a full closet but that was ok with me. Other features I liked were the internet worked well, TV had HBO, water pressure was good, room had a balcony, and free parking. Overall, I had a good rest for a good value. I will stay again.

Room Tip: Waterside rooms are quiet.
Green Features: For breakfast they had real ceramic cereal bowls and compostable flatware.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
MHochstatter, General Manager at Executive Inn and Suites, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on the rooms as well as our breakfast service. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope you will return in the near future.

We do have real creamer for your coffee in the morning, and I truly apologize if we did not have it available for you that morning. We have a little fridge next to the juice machine where you can find the creamer. That fridge should always have plenty of creamer. On top of that, we have the flavored creamers in a bowl on a side table. I will look into this and make sure we always have plenty of creamers available.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

514 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Polish first
Houston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

hotel browsing through travel sites, and I came across all the reviews on Tripadvisor which made me decide to sign up for an account so I can rave about this place.

The hotel is great and just what I expected from browsing all the reviews on here. Breakfast was more than what I expected as there were hot items which is always a nice addition to just pastries.

The staff was phenomenal and very helpful. I spoke with Frederick who gave me helpful information about the public transportation to San Fran. We were able to take the ferry, cable car, and the bart train which was a blast.

We had a room on the waterside and it was wonderful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I was looking forward to this place - it had received several great reviews on the Priceline site. Alas, they stuck me on the highway side instead of the ocean side, and they put me in a damp, warm room with a jet-engine-sounding air conditioner and a TV that wouldn't bring in all the advertised channels, and those that it did bring in, had bars rolling through the picture.

I went to the bar, and the sole bartender was overwhelmed with no help. I sat at the bar with a loud guy in a sleeveless t-shirt who cussed a lot. The bartender was rude and stressed. It was not a relaxing place.

Because it had received good reviews, I tried to work with the place. I called to alert the front desk to the issue, and they sent maintenance up to work on it, which the guy did, for an hour and a half, while I was hoping to relax in my room after a long day of travel. They never offered another room, and it appeared that the hotel could not have been more than 1/3 full.

It was not a relaxing or restful place. It does not, in my opinion, deserve the rankings it has received.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
MHochstatter, General Manager at Executive Inn and Suites, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
I am truly sorry to hear about your experience Dan. The reason we receive all these good reviews is because we usually exceed our guests expectations. We work hard to have all of our guests leave the hotel with memories of a wonderful stay.

I apologize that you had problems with your TV. We have taken a look at the TV and corrected the problem. Every room in our property should be receiving all of the advertised channels.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience with the TV. I believe we did however offer you to change room, but you declined. If a guest is not happy with their room, we try to do everything we can to accommodate their needs.

Some nights our bar is busier than others. We try to have the bar be a place where you can come down and socialize, while at the same time have a drink. We also have tables available, away from the bar, if someone would like to sit away from the crowd while still being able to watch TV or enjoy the view of the beautiful estuary.

The fact that we did not meet your expectations of being a relaxing and restful place on the waterfront, is a failure on our end, and I take full responsibility. I hope you are willing to give us a second chance to redeem ourselves and to prove to you why we are worthy of all the good reviews. Please contact me directly at mark.hochstatter@executiveinnoakland.com, and I will take care of your next reservation.
Albuquerque, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This was the place recommended by the organizers of the conference at which I was speaking, so I reserved a room here. I appreciated not having to have a car (they were very gracious about offering rides to the conference center at Laney College and back to the airport when I did have to pick up the car after the conference was over).

The room was comfortable, bedding was fine. The view of the bay is lovely. I especially appreciated the fact that the fan on the AC/heat unit could stay on— a nice, even, white-noise background. (I know it's a little thing and may not be an issue for some people, but I'm in a different hotel for the rest of this trip and when the room cools off, the AC turns off. When it kicks on again, it's quite loud. Even with earplugs, it kept waking me up throughout the night.)

There's no restaurant there, but there's a super friendly guy named Howie who apparently grills something different every night: I had the steak (with mashed potatoes and broccoli) the first night and the salmon the next. The whole meal was $10. It just worked out.

I really do want to thank the staff of this hotel. Each person was extremely friendly and helpful, very committed to being sure that my needs were met. Awesome.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a bay view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your conference at Laney College. We were very happy to have you stay with us and I heard your group had a wonderful time in the bar on Friday night, with Howie.

I am glad you were able to take advantage of Howie's grill nights. They are very popular among our guests. Unfortunately, we can only offer them twice a week, but you must have been able to catch them both nights.

Thank you for acknowledging our hard working staff. I hope to welcome you back with us in the near future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

The customer service was good with friendly and knowledgeable staff. I found the location a bit challenging and not easy to navigate. The room was clean but had older furnishings and a overly firm bed. I stay in Oakland frequently and thought I'd try somewhere different. Unfortunately it didn't work out as well as I had planned.

Stayed April 2013
MHochstatter, General Manager at Executive Inn and Suites, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us and share your experience, and for acknowledging our staff and customer service.

I am sorry you found it hard to find our hotel We are right off of the I-880. If you are driving north on the 880, you take the 5th avenue/embarcadero exit. If you are driving south on the 880, take the 16th avenue exit.

The mattresses in our hotel have recently been replaced with brand new mattresses. That might be the reason they are a little firm.

I certainly hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back. If there is any way I can be of service, please feel free to contact me at mark.hochstatter@executiveinnoakland.com.
Orem, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I travel for business all of the time. Most of the time I stay in 3 star places just to keep expenses down but ocassionally I'll spring for a nicer place. It was time to do that so I stayed here for a nice change. The room was large, clean and the bed was comfy. And I enjoyed the water view from the balcony. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was very good but I was surprised and disappointed that there was no meat included. They had eggs, pancakes, waffles, fruit, cerial, etc. But no meat. That was the only negative to my stay.

Room Tip: Pay the extra fee to have a Water View. Otherwise you'll have a Freeway View.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
MHochstatter, General Manager at Executive Inn and Suites, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you Dale for choosing to stay with us for your business travel. I am glad you enjoyed our spacious rooms and beautiful water view.

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our lack of meat included in the breakfast. Unfortunately, we only serve an upgraded continental breakfast at our hotel. A regular continental breakfast does not include any hot items. Our upgraded one does has two hot items per day. These two hot items differ from day to day. For instance, on Sundays we serve french toast and link sausages, while on Mondays we serve scrambled eggs and hash brown. We do not guarantee meat all days of the week.

I apologize if this was not made clear prior to your reservation with us, and I take responsibility for this lack of communication. I will make sure all of our guests are aware of our breakfast offer. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and giving us the chance to improve on the service to our guests.

We look forward to having you back with us in the future.
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I will like say that the staff at this hotel is awesome. Especially a special thank you to Doris who provide me with great customer service and conversation as she took me to my destination daily. Doris and the rest of the staff i give you a 10 out of a 10. Wonderful job. I will definitely be back at this hotel.

Room Tip: Room facing the lake side is the best.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Executive Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!