“Amazing Hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Amazing Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed in the suites building for a few nights because I family member passed. Upon our arrival we were directed from the main building called the Executive Inn to the suites building which is now called The Bayside Hotel. I want to keep my review positive, but I would like to highlight that the man at the front desk at the Executive Inn. I believe his name was Miguel? Anyway, he was a very unpolished employee. He was chewing on food, his shirt was not tucked in and he did not seem to know what was going on? I don't blame him though? The poor guy was pretty busy and seemed to be alone at the reception desk.

I asked in there was a supervisor to help him, and he informed us that he was the manager on duty? I must say that I was little perturbed because he just didn't come across as management material. But, nonetheless he did his job and I don't hold him responsible for being so busy.

Things turned for the good as soon as we walked into the suites building. We noticed that it was a whole different world? Everything was crisp and new, it smelled good, it was beautiful and the service was amazingly different and polished.

I will start off with the manager Jay. He was beyond a dedicated employee, and he was amazing. He was inviting, warm, professional, polished and a true gentleman. This young professional went beyond the call of duty on several occasions. I hope that his boss recognizes what a gem he has on his hands. I told Jay all about my sisters passing and I got so emotional because he listened to every word I had to say. I was almost about to cry and he reached over handed me a tissue and walked over and offered my a genuine embrace that I accepted. He told me his grandmother had recently had a serious surgery due to cancer and he got a little emotional too. He shared some kind of words that really helped me process my sisters passing. What stood out the most is was a statement he made. He said. "Energy transcends time & space, and although your sister has passed? Her energy will transform and become part of the universal consciousness. I believe your sister is part of the great cosmic consciousness now, and she will always be there in the stars, in the wind, in the ocean, in the flowers, in all the beautiful things in the universe." I was blown away, and I felt a sense of peace in my heart after this conversation. I believe that the universe spoke too me through this young man.

I also want to commend Heather for her friendliness and her great spirit. She was able to make sure she got a hold of me as soon as some flowers I was expecting arrived, and I was afraid that I would be gone before I left the hotel. She was as friendly ad warm as Jay. I also met Chanel who was a beautiful and very professional young lady, she drove me a few times to BART, and her pleasant demeanor impressed me. With such a beautiful location and the amazing staff! I can foresee a great future for this little gem of a hotel. I live in Chicago and I am not sure when I will be back, but when I do come back I know exactly where to stay.

-Michele

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
MHochstatter, General Manager at Executive Inn and Suites, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you so much Michele for sharing your experience with us. I was very touched by your review and my deepest condolences go out to you and your family.
I wanted to let you know that I do recognize our amazing staff including Jay, Heather and Chanel, and I thank you for sharing your great experience.

We look forward to having you back with us in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Polish first
Clovis, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed there for a business trip. I had done some research in this website and saw that it was rated #1. I was slightly apprehensive when I saw the location, right across from the 880. I checked in with no problem. The staff was very helpful. I got to my room and was surprised to see that it appeared to be older. As it turns out, it was a wonderful room. I didn't hear the 880 at all. The breakfast was great every morning. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. A pleasant overall experience.

• Stayed January 2013
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I’ve stayed here while working between northern and southern California for more than 10 years. I always have a good experience which is why I keep returning.

After retiring I stayed here for nearly three months while searching for a place to live after relocating back to the bay area. I always get a suite or room with a water view and would live here if I could.

The staff is always helpful and friendly.

I love this place!!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the Oakland Estuary!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

this hotel is very nice and kept up. i loved how there was a business center and a fitness center as well. this stay was for my significant other's bday and the staff there made it more comfortable with their friendliness, esp. fred, he said good morning to us and made us feel welcomed. i understand it may get busy at times but acknowledging the customers is always a nice gesture.

Room Tip: the king executive suite will never fail you
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

stayed here a few weeks back with a group ... and was very surprised.

a total mystery is a good way to describe it (earlier review) based upon its location (which is very convenient). with the waterfront as an option it was a great choice especially with everything updated.

here is a small thing that stood out at this hotel - the gentleman who checked us in greeted everyone (I wasn't even at the front desk) and welcomed us into the hotel. such a small thing but key in making us, at least myself very welcome. in a conversation to a friend of mine, i had mentioned i was very thirsty and as any good hotel does (have ears every where), mr fred wong (guy who checked us in) walked up and handed me a water bottle. amazing customer service when least expected!!

and having free super fast internet? great surprise here.

Again, mr fred wong - good job at the hearing, so key in customer server - its about listening and reading between the words. keep up the great work.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
MHochstatter, General Manager at Executive Inn and Suites, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for acknowledging our wonderful front desk team. Frederick is an excellent team member and I am happy that you mentioned him in your review. It is all about the small things and we work very hard to keep a very high standard of our customer service.

Our internet is free everywhere in the hotel and we have recently installed new routers to make it even faster.

Thank you for staying with us.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This hotel was a nice surprise and still a bit of a mystery. I was very concerned as I exited 880 to reach this hotel. Gang graffiti/dark exit. Then there was the hotel sign. I thought based on the very 80's look (not retro/just out of date) that this place be stuck in the 80's as well. Again, what a nice surprise! The interior was wonderful and updated. Initially I was 'upgraded' to a very large suite which it turned out was at the end of the last building which has been recently renovated. While it did face the water to some degree and had a great view of SF, it wasn't for me as it also faced the freeway with a ton of noise. No problem though. The manager was great and moved me right away to the type of suite I had requested (King/Waterfront). I even got an early check-in! I still had a fantastic view of SF and of the water/ducks/sunset/people watching on the path. My room was very clean and spacious. However, next time I will ask for a room in the main building. While the building I was in was recently renovated and quite lovely, there is no one there (staff wise). As a single female business traveler I felt a little uncomfortable walking back and forth between buildings at night without anyone around (I was at the far end of the building and on the 3rd floor) to get a coke, etc. However, I think for couples this area might be really nice for more privacy. My only complaint is with the level of information given at the front desk. Initially a young lady checked me in. She was very sweet but I received no information about the hotel. When I asked for a room change, again no additional information. As it end up, not only is there are a lot of great things to know about this place! One - there is a bar that is open in the evening, but better yet, on certain nights the bartender prepares meals! I found this out by walking by the bar after going out and finding food for take out. On certain nights he cooks. Examples are meatloaf, steaks, chicken, etc. And extremely reasonably priced! The dinner I missed was only $10 and based on the plates of those who were eating (they were scraped clean), it must have been good. I also didn't receive information on the internet access/password, nothing about breakfast, etc. Ends up they have a T1 for free! Overall I'm quite happy with the place. I think there are a few things they could do to improve their business/profits that are easy fixes but it won't hinder me from staying here again or recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: If traveling alone as a woman - consider asking for a room in the main building where the front desk...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
MHochstatter, General Manager at Executive Inn and Suites, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and sharing your experience! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that it was more than you expected.
I wanted to let you know that our suites building is turning into its own hotel called The Bayside hotel in a few weeks, which means it is now fully staffed, 24 hours a day. As a guest in the Bayside hotel you will still have access to the pool in the main building, as well as the bar at night.

Our bartender prepares meals every now and then, and they are very popular among our guests. I'm sorry that our front desk did not inform you of all of our amenities and services. Our front desk team is supposed to inform you of all of our services at check-in. I will bring this up in our next staff meeting to make sure it does not happen again.
Sherman Oaks, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed here as a family after Xmas and through New Year's. So quiet. Staff is super helpful. Take advantage of the restaurant list and shuttle to Alameda locations. Breakfast is adequate and the view is lovely. I've also stayed here by myself and felt very safe.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Executive Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!