“its all about the small things eh?” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 47 hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“its all about the small things eh?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

stayed here a few weeks back with a group ... and was very surprised.

a total mystery is a good way to describe it (earlier review) based upon its location (which is very convenient). with the waterfront as an option it was a great choice especially with everything updated.

here is a small thing that stood out at this hotel - the gentleman who checked us in greeted everyone (I wasn't even at the front desk) and welcomed us into the hotel. such a small thing but key in making us, at least myself very welcome. in a conversation to a friend of mine, i had mentioned i was very thirsty and as any good hotel does (have ears every where), mr fred wong (guy who checked us in) walked up and handed me a water bottle. amazing customer service when least expected!!

and having free super fast internet? great surprise here.

Again, mr fred wong - good job at the hearing, so key in customer server - its about listening and reading between the words. keep up the great work.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
MHochstatter, General Manager at Executive Inn and Suites, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for acknowledging our wonderful front desk team. Frederick is an excellent team member and I am happy that you mentioned him in your review. It is all about the small things and we work very hard to keep a very high standard of our customer service.

Our internet is free everywhere in the hotel and we have recently installed new routers to make it even faster.

Thank you for staying with us.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

514 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Polish first
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This hotel was a nice surprise and still a bit of a mystery. I was very concerned as I exited 880 to reach this hotel. Gang graffiti/dark exit. Then there was the hotel sign. I thought based on the very 80's look (not retro/just out of date) that this place be stuck in the 80's as well. Again, what a nice surprise! The interior was wonderful and updated. Initially I was 'upgraded' to a very large suite which it turned out was at the end of the last building which has been recently renovated. While it did face the water to some degree and had a great view of SF, it wasn't for me as it also faced the freeway with a ton of noise. No problem though. The manager was great and moved me right away to the type of suite I had requested (King/Waterfront). I even got an early check-in! I still had a fantastic view of SF and of the water/ducks/sunset/people watching on the path. My room was very clean and spacious. However, next time I will ask for a room in the main building. While the building I was in was recently renovated and quite lovely, there is no one there (staff wise). As a single female business traveler I felt a little uncomfortable walking back and forth between buildings at night without anyone around (I was at the far end of the building and on the 3rd floor) to get a coke, etc. However, I think for couples this area might be really nice for more privacy. My only complaint is with the level of information given at the front desk. Initially a young lady checked me in. She was very sweet but I received no information about the hotel. When I asked for a room change, again no additional information. As it end up, not only is there are a lot of great things to know about this place! One - there is a bar that is open in the evening, but better yet, on certain nights the bartender prepares meals! I found this out by walking by the bar after going out and finding food for take out. On certain nights he cooks. Examples are meatloaf, steaks, chicken, etc. And extremely reasonably priced! The dinner I missed was only $10 and based on the plates of those who were eating (they were scraped clean), it must have been good. I also didn't receive information on the internet access/password, nothing about breakfast, etc. Ends up they have a T1 for free! Overall I'm quite happy with the place. I think there are a few things they could do to improve their business/profits that are easy fixes but it won't hinder me from staying here again or recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: If traveling alone as a woman - consider asking for a room in the main building where the front desk...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
MHochstatter, General Manager at Executive Inn and Suites, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and sharing your experience! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that it was more than you expected.
I wanted to let you know that our suites building is turning into its own hotel called The Bayside hotel in a few weeks, which means it is now fully staffed, 24 hours a day. As a guest in the Bayside hotel you will still have access to the pool in the main building, as well as the bar at night.

Our bartender prepares meals every now and then, and they are very popular among our guests. I'm sorry that our front desk did not inform you of all of our amenities and services. Our front desk team is supposed to inform you of all of our services at check-in. I will bring this up in our next staff meeting to make sure it does not happen again.
Sherman Oaks, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed here as a family after Xmas and through New Year's. So quiet. Staff is super helpful. Take advantage of the restaurant list and shuttle to Alameda locations. Breakfast is adequate and the view is lovely. I've also stayed here by myself and felt very safe.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Glendale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

I booked it based on the tripadvisor reviews and honestly I am so glad I did! First impressions are poor, it's right off the freeway and looks a bit run down. However the lobby was clean and the staff were very friendly. I booked a suite, which is in the adjacent building, but within walking distance through the hotel. Now here is what impressed me, I travel for business, and this is why I liked this hotel. Free wifi, lots of in room sockets for your mobile devices, comfy bed, excellent bathroom.. I am female and I do like a good bathroom.. Nice products, I washed my hair with them and they were quite good quality. Lots of space in the room.. The gym is basic but has everything you need. As I stayed in the suites there is a separate concierge area, where the breakfast is fantastic. Yogurts, fruit, juice, coffee, toast... What moremdomyou need at 6 in the morning?
What actually made this for me was the fact that I met with a lot of people in the dining area while I stayed here. Parking was good for them, and I could plug my computer in, log on and stay there all day... Thanks... This will be my choice of hotel when in the Oakland area.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Kihei, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is the place to stay when I fly in or out of Oakland. The service has always been great- helpful and friendly. We were upgraded to a suite - felt like a princess. In my travels often stay at places twice as expensive, but never this nice. The bathroom in the suite is the best I have ever seen in a hotel or suite. My daughter and grandson always look forward to joining - we love to walk along the boardwalk and visit Quinn's Lighthouse for a yummy dinner. They are looking forward to staying at Executive Inn before they fly out to visit me; they will take advantage of the ability to leave their car parked while they are away. Helpful shuttle to and from the airport. Go for the water view. Will definitely stay there when I have needs in the Bay area!

Room Tip: Definitely ask for the water view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Daly City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I was scrambling for a nice hotel to stay at in Oakland, and I ran across this hotel. I needed to book something fast, so I called in and talked with Fred. I told him my situation and my time constrains with checking in and out. He was very nice and courteous on the phone and was able to set me up with a beautiful suite. They have a excellent staff here, with customer satisfaction on their minds.

On the day of my check in, i received a really nice suite, pretty much superb. It was very big and accommodating. Everything was close to perfect, even had a small patio with a view of the water. It was really clean, very quite, and my suite just happened to be next to the fitness center, a great plus for me. Also, they have breakfast available in the mornings. Not a super great selection but enough to get me filled up in the morning and on my way to my activities.

This hotel is excellent, very clean, and with the friendly and helpful staff, this place definitely deserves great ratings.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Viborg, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Very friendly and helpfull staff.
Fine service to pick up and drop at BART station, to get to/from San Francisco. Give ring and someone will be there in a few minutes.
Very nice towards the water front, but a little disturbing toward landside with traffic, trains etc.
Good parking facilities. Well equiped rooms.
Nice breakfast, but no restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Executive Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!