“Best Choice for SF Bay Area” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
St. Marys, OH
“Best Choice for SF Bay Area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Excellent choice for anywhere in SF Bay Area, business or pleasure. Fabulous first class facility, immaculately maintained, located right on the water in Oakland. Large all suite rooms with meeting facilities. Free shuttle to airport and anywhere within 3 miles. Nearby ferry or rapid transit takes you anywhere. All rooms large and well appointed. Superb breakfast and M-Th wine and cheese included. Best thing was professional, friendly staff, who responded to any request. With higher prices around SF Bay Area, we appreciated a reduced rate for a longer stay. Definitely the place to be!

Room Tip: Ask for water view room. Great sunsets and very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Polish first
Missoula
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I had no expectations as I needed to stay at the Executive Inn to participate in a weekend workshop at the nearby Institute of Mosaic Art in Oakland. I was pleasantly surprised to realize that the Executive Inn had a friendly staff, a good business center with free computer use, was clean and well run, AND offered a 3 mile radius shuttle service for those of us without cars. They make drop offs at the local Bart station and also connect with the Oakland airport. I would highly recommend this establishment and plan to visit again.
My impression is that the hotel is under good management.

Room Tip: The side facing the water is probably a better night's sleep. The side facing the freeway hums...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Middleton Cheney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

We booked this Hotel mainly for the Price and to use as a base for San Francisco. The Hotel is ok but the room we were allocated (#245) faced the Freeway and was extremely noisy day and throughout the night, so sleeping was difficult. We asked to switch but was told it wasn't possible. The room itself was clean and tidy so no problems there. The complimentary breakfast was just ok, not much variety. The area the Hotel is in leaves much to be desired, nothing to do in the immediate vicinity with little choice of affordable restaurants or fast food outlets and we certainly would not walk around during the evening.
The staff were friendly and helpful at the front desk and there was a business centre available for internet/printing and they provided helpful transport to the ferry, the kids enjoyed the small pool too.
With hindsight it may have been worth paying the extra and getting closer to a nicer area.

Room Tip: Avoid Freeway facing rooms as they are extremely noisy, we had #245
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

The room was more spacious than the standard room. The large tub and separate shower was a pleasantly supprise. The room was kept very cleanand orderly. I wish I could have had my wife along with me to enjoy this stay. The evening wine and cheese hour was a great way to meet people from other type of businesses. I especially liked sitting on the back patio drinking wine and enjoyed the cool breeze while watching the sun go down.

Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Monterey, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Hotwire.com provided us with a room at the Executive Inn for an evening at Cal Performances, Berkeley. We couldn't have made a better choice, we were quite comfortable, breakfast was included , parking was free and the price couldn't be beat. This was no surprise as we've stayed here several times over the past few years. We've booked reservations for 4 days next month to attend my wife's college reunion at Mills.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I stayed here last year on business, chose this hotel because it was rated highly on tripadvisor, and I was put in a nice room overlooking a small bay, in the "new" building. At least I was told it was the newer building by the person who checked me in. I had a nice experience, although the front desk was a little distant and not what I'd call warm and cheery. With that in mind, I thought the place would be perfect for our family visit last week. Wrong!

We booked it the night before and asked for the "newer" building and a top floor room. We were told they don't assign rooms, we'd have to check in and get whatever was left. Check-in started at 2 p.m. We got there at 3:15 p.m. and were given a room in the "older" building, which is where the front desk is located. We were told there was no other choice and now the hotel was pretty much full and, I gathered, we were "late."

Got to our room and it smelled like cigarette smoke. We specifically asked for nonsmoking, so we immediately called the front desk and let them know. The lady put us on hold for a very long time, so long that my husband decided that walking to the lobby would be faster. My hubby related that the clerk gave him a new room, this time on a middle floor. When he mentioned that we just can't tolerate smoke, she immediately said "We have nothing to upgrade you to." Huh? We hadn't asked!

On our way to the next room, we ran into housekeeping one door down from where we were headed and asked for extra pillows. We let her know our room number and that we'd like an extra 3 (the room comes equipped with 4 of the smallest "regular" sized pillows I've ever seen, although they're fairly comfortable. An hour later, no sign of her, so we called the front desk. Again, no response, so we had to ask. Again.

We get all the stuff to the new room- no offer of help, even though we had two kids with us- and the next room smells better, albeit of chemicals. The "decor" could be carbon dated to the late 70's, early 80's at latest.... Orange and yellow and... goodness knows what. There is no actual closet. The spot where you can hang clothes also serves as an open-air room divider. Very weird and something I've never seen before.

The bathroom has brown and off-white subway tile and had a weird black-ish substance (dirt?) on the outside of the tub. Staff left 3 bath towels, even though it was a double queen bed hotel room with 4 people in it. One of the room's floor lamps was tilted to one side and obviously broken. We felt compelled to notify the front desk, lest we be held responsible. They sent a maintenance guy even though we hadn't asked for one- we were simply notifying them- who took the lamp and then came back with a new one, even though we told him we didn't need one.

Forget about amenities like iPod docking alarm clocks, DVD players (or even VCR players!), bathrobes, or even extra blankets tucked away in a drawer. And, although there was a barely adequate supply of cable/satellite channels, virtually no kids channels. So forget about entertaining kids while showering or dressing....

The one decent thing they had was a better-than-average breakfast buffet. Hot foods such as scrambled eggs and sausage, a variety of good dry cereals, 3 or 4 juices, various breads, muffins, and fruits, yogurts, coffees, etc.... These days, a breakfast buffet includes all the cold stuff, but generally not the hot stuff, so I have to say on that score this place was fine. Oddly, they use plastic utensils. Now, I'm not a Birkenstock-wearing, save the planet kind of gal (although I recycle and try to be a little conscientious), but to save a few dollars, this hotel is generating a HUGE amount of trash in the way of those plastic utensils. So not cool.

We shall not return. Sorry to say, because the little balcony with the two plastic chairs overlooking the bay is nice. Just not enough to overcome all the rest of the bad.

Room Tip: Check in RIGHT at 2 p.m. and settle only for a room in the building next to the lobby/check-in!
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

The hotel staff was terrific with setting the room, providing refreshments, and responsiveness in general. I asked for a projector when ours broke and five minutes later I had one…

Room Tip: be sure to get a water side room because the Embarcadero side room is loud at night with the traffic
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Executive Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!