“Good value.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport

You added Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport to your Saves list
Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 Hegenberger Rd, Oakland, CA 94621 (Formerly Park Plaza Hotel)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Spring Savings
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Fairbanks, Alaska
“Good value.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I book all my hotels through Priceline - Name Your Own Price. For my 80.00 bid, Priceline placed me in this hotel. After reading some of the reviews, I was very concerned and expecting the worst, but once the deal is sealed with Name Your Own Price, there is no turning back.

Our flight landed at 8:30am after a long red eye. After picking up the car, we arrived at the property around 10am. I was not surprised that they didn't have a room ready due to the early hour but I thought it was worth a try. The front desk person, Sabita, was very polite and told us that we should try back at noon and there would probably be a room ready for us.

We killed some time and came back around 11:45. Sabita had a room for us in the main building. She gave us a key, but the computer system was down and she was unable to print the sign in form. She said she would call when the computers were back up and I asked her if I could just come down in an hour instead because I didn't want the phone to wake my wife. She said it would be fine.

The room was fine. Nothing fancy, just a typical room. It had everything we needed. The bathroom floor is EXTREMELY slippery when wet!!! Use caution. The soap trays in the shower were stupid. There is no way for the water to drain, so the soap just sits in the puddle; unusable, in my opinion, so we just let the soap sit on the sill. The coffee cups are black ceramic, so it's difficult to know if they're clean. I prefer disposable paper or styrofoam cups. The heating and AC system was effective and quiet.

The hotel is not in a nice area, but the parking lot was well lit and fairly secure. I wasn't apprehensive at all about parking and had no problems during our stay. Also it is free.

The housekeeping staff was friendly and accommodating. They were quiet in the halls and did a great job.

The wifi at this hotel is useless. I called the desk and talked to Carmela. She could not have been more rude. She insisted that it was working and that the problem was my equipment. I gave it a few minutes and called again to see if someone could possibly reset the modem. I talked to a different person who said she would "make a notation". The next morning, I called the front desk and the person I spoke with said that the night shift had not passed the info on and that she would have maintenance look at it. 5 minutes later, it was back up. Unfortunately, the next night and all of the subsequent days it was either down or too slow to use.

On the second night, I left my key in my room and needed a new one. The person behind the desk didn't ask me for any ID or verification that I was even a guest. NOT COOL.

In summary, day shift personnel were very professional and competent. Night shift personnel were the exact opposite and a detriment to the hotel reputation. Carmela, who was a manager, needs some training in basic courtesy and her attitude reflects in the people who were working with her on her shift. If it were not for them, I would have rated this hotel much higher.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Mexico City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Is our first family visit to Oakland, we were very please with this excelente hotel, the parking is free, the beds are real EXCELENT, the only problem is that the buffet is poor (egs, cereal, fruit, coffe), and they close the buffet at 09:00 hrs. so you must wake up early. But they have excelente staff.

Oakland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This hotel is not nice. First off the computers were down and it took me 30 minutes to check in and I was the only one there. My reservation was not correct. TV was from the 60's. I guess the other one was broken or stolen off the wall. Carpet in the room was dingy and old. The only good thing was I didn't personally have to pay for the stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
We value each and every one of our guests and I truly apologize that we failed to provide you a room that was properly cleaned. I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced when checking in as well. Thanks to your comments, we will be working with our front desk staff on this as well.
We do appreciate your feedback and hope we have the chance to serve you better in the near future.
Kind Regards
Phoenix, AZ USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Reserved a room for 3 adults and was sent to a room with one bed without warning or offering a rollaway. Carpet and wallpaper was worn and dirty. Paid a ransom to be "upgraded" to a room with two beds and a view of an outdoor pool that was falling apart. Crown molding in lobby looked as though it was ready to fall down, and desk chair and restaurant seating was torn. The only good thing about this dump was the airport shuttle, which we weren't given the option to sleep in either. Don't waste your money on this declining rat hole.

Room Tip: Top "executive" floor is a joke, along with the property.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced regarding the room you were checked into. I would also like to apologize for the condition of the room you were upgraded to and I assure you this will be addressed accordingly.
We hope you will provide us with the opportunity to rectify these issues so that we can have you back and provide you with the superior service deserved!
Kind Regards
Chicago, Il
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

For quick layovers this hotel is adequate. The front desk staff were terrible. The service gets 0/5 but the convenience to the airport and "budget" prices are the hotels saving graces. The room was clean but required updating. On check out the front desk staff was speaking on the phone to a friend and let us know as much... very unprofessional. If you are looking for service, don't stay here, you will probably be extremely irritated.

Oakland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

At checking in the manager that checked us in was very rude, she went on to tell us that they were booked up, and if we don't want our rooms she could sell them to someone else at a higher price, then stood
There looking at us & said do you want your rooms or not!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing, I booked 2 rooms for 3 nights, I thought I would have been treated better then that, we had flown in and where all tired, we kepted the rooms, I wanted to just go somewhere else after being treated like that but it
Was late and felt like we had no choice. We stayed out back in a different area then the main Hotel, the area is not very nice, my family & I did not feel safe & it
Was clean but smelled old. I would not come back and stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

RL_Customer_Care, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
We aim to consistently deliver a courteous and professional check in and stay to our guests and I would to apologize for the lack of service you received. Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention and I would like to assure you that these issues will be addressed accordingly.
I We are actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable.
Carmela Royce
Front Office Manager
Red Lion Oakland International Hotel
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

They were friendly, attentive and I felt I received more than the hotel rate might suggest. I definitely recommend staying here. The complimentary shuttle to the BART station made getting to our meeting in S. F. across the bay super easy (they even sent the shuttle when we called after returning to San Leandro on the BART). The only thing I missed was some kind of bench out front when waiting for the shuttle to arrive ... please ... :o) ... I would love to stay there again. The ice machine on the 6th floor makes a noise like a distant drum, which I am sure they can fix, and the waiter at breakfast didn't listen at all when I gave my order, but changed it promptly.

Room Tip: The room with a balcony was a nice option. I recommend asking for it.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport? Share your experiences!