“Great CLEAN hotel if on a budget, but ask for a quiet room at check-in.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport

Save Saved
You added Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport to your Saves list
Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 Hegenberger Rd, Oakland, CA 94621 (Formerly Park Plaza Hotel)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
“Great CLEAN hotel if on a budget, but ask for a quiet room at check-in.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

From the moment I arrived and saw airline pilots checking in I knew I would at least have a clean room. My king sized room for 10 nights was the right size, and had a very cozy bed. I will say being in the front of the building was not ideal as the main road and the Harley store generated a great deal of noise.

The WiFi was adequate for web browsing, but was way too slow for VPN, you tube, Netflix, ABC, or facetime. You will have to use your 4g hotspot for any of those.

I enjoyed the restaurant and quickly became addicted to the Blackened Ahi sandwich. There are not too many choices on the menu but there were enough to satisfy me. I am in no way a food snob.

The service was touch and go. Housekeeping did a great job. The manager was super nice and I can not say anything but positive things about the shuttle bus drivers. They were polite, informative, and picked me up at the BART whenever I called and were quick to do so.

Really my only two complaints with service were a front desk clerk named Donna who misplaced a package delivered to me that was time sensitive, never answered me direct about my questions, and in general didn't seem to know what she was doing any time I interacted with her. The other clerks were more than helpful and went above and beyond to find my package for me and to answer my questions. In the end it the situation with my package was comical because Donna had thought it was a box of key cards and put it in their stock. It was an annoyance but the other staff helped fix her oversight.

Issue 2 was that my toilet was broken the whole trip and ran constantly. They offered to change rooms but after a while it became like white noise and I didn't mind. The manager was very apologetic and offered me free breakfast in exchange for the trouble. It wasn't a huge bother other than I knew water was being wasted. Some nights I would shut off the water as a courtesy to them and the environment.

Aside from Donna and the toilet issue, I was very satisfied with my stay and would gladly stay at the red lion again. I would probably request a quiet room over bed choice, but if I'm in the area this would be my first choice.

I've stayed at the Hilton across the street and it was musty and dank. If cleanliness is paramount on a budget, you can't beat the Red Lion Hotel...

Just hope Donna isn't the one manning the desk.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
South Bend, IN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I chose this hotel because of its location practically on the airport property and because other Red Lion Hotels were really quite good. Not the case with this one. The hotel has a tower plus two other units on the back 40. The tower may have been OK. But the unit in the back, was terrible. I was in the 2nd floor room furthest toward the airport. Airport noise was nil. However, a whining mechanical noise that could not be blocked by ear plugs continued the entire night. In addition, free WiFi was advertised. I could barely pick up the WiFi at the check in desk and restaurant, and not at all in my room in the back 40. On the positive side, I enjoyed my evening meal at the tiny restaurant and even tinier kitchen. My bed was comfortable even though I didn't sleep much due to the whine. There are other places nearby. Next time I'll stay there.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, pick a room in the tower.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to post a review of your various experiences while visiting our property. We apologize for the unpleasant stay you experienced due to the mechanical noise noise not allowing you to get a good night sleep. This is something we will be looking into and following up with our engineering staff on. We value you as a guest and make every effort to enhance our guest experience. In the future, if you are having any troubles with your guest room, please do not hesitate to contact our front desk for additional assistance. Thank you for being a valued guest and we look forward to serving you again!
Juneau, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

My family stayed here briefly on a quick layover back from Hawaii. The airport shuttle was prompt and the room comfortable (if a little small). The beds were a bit firmer than I like, but a decent stay overall.

• Stayed February 2013
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

As soon alas you enter a room, the lights in the entry way turn on as do the lights in the vanity area. While this is helpful on one level, it proved to be disturbing during the night. There is no way to deactivate the sensor. Getting up a couple of times in the night is not unusual for me. I did not appreciate having bright lights turn on every time I got up. It was very difficult to return to sleep. The hotel is in a good location; close the OAK and a courtesy shuttle that runs every 20 minutes. Stay here if you do not get up often in the night or if you pack duct tape to cover the sensor. Personally, I am going to try the Hampton Inn down the street.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

If you like sleeping in a tractor trailer, next to a freight elevator, with the smell of overflowing ashtrays next to your head, THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU !!!

i think next time, I'll would just sleep in the back of a Uhaul at a Walmart, before staying there.

*Heat system fan very noisy.
*Entire floor has overwhelming smell of smoke.
("Non-Smoking Hotel" must mean not on fire
so much so, they leave the hallway window open, in 40° weather.
*Toilet runs on/off not stop (so it was shut off).
*Hearing noise like an elevator, although it's all the way down the hall (the only one in service).
*Carpets in room, still wet. Can only hope it's from cleaning ???

• Stayed December 2012
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed here in November on our late night return from Hawaii...With 24 hour airport shuttle they were very convenient, and they were very welcoming even after midnight...Early opening restaurant allowed us to have breakfast before being back at airport at 7 AM...Clean comfortable rooms...after our "safety" issues at another facility on our outbound trip, this is the place I will choose for future overnight trips to Oakland

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

No complaints here. My whole group liked the rooms. Parking was free.
Check-in was painless, and the clerk was very helpful.
The rooms looked like they were recently refurbished.
I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport? Share your experiences!