“Clean hotel with easy access to freeway and airport.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport

You added Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport to your Saves list
Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 Hegenberger Rd, Oakland, CA 94621 (Formerly Park Plaza Hotel)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #16 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Phoenix, Arizona
“Clean hotel with easy access to freeway and airport.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

we had a very late arrival to this location. I received my room key without a problem, however my 3 traveling companions had a horrible time with Marlow, the night desk person, obtaining their rooms. All the other staff members were very polite and helpful. This hotel has a very nice Bristol within their building. with very good food and reasonable cost. Room and all facilities were very clean. This location is on hotel row and next year will have access to the BART extensions planned to Oakland airport.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

This could of been a bad day at the hotel the one night I stayed. There was a football game between the Raiders and Steelers and every hotel in the area was booked. I booked at the Red Lion (not my first choice) but because I thought it was higher quality over other hotels in the area, like a Motel 6.
I came into the lobby and there was an argument between a guest and the staff. What was it about, I dont know, but instead of trying to calm the situation, I was quite disturbed when one of the staff members had to get in the last word, so the guest had to get his word in and for the next 10min it was a batter of trying to get the last word. Again, I dont know what it was about, but I walked into that loud argument and that is Strike 1 against this hotel.
There is not much of a choice to eat in and around the area, there is an italian restaurant, but on Sundays it was closed, with no car and being in Oakland, I decided it was safer to stay in and eat at the restaurant.
The food it okay at best, not bad, but not gourmet either. They offer a variety of dishes from steak dinners, pastas and bar foods like burgers and wings. I had the burger (playing it safe) but here is how the restaurant went.
The service was lousy, slow, and non exsistent at best. I picked the cleanest of tables because more than half the tables were still dirty. I chose a table at the corner and the table next to me was not bussed, I counted 4 tables that were not bussed in the 90min I was at the restaurant. I did not want to be there for 90min, but the service was slow. There was 1 waiter, 1 bartender for a full bar and restaurant on a Sunday home game. You figured the manager would of staffed for this, but he/she didnt it was slow. I waited 15min just to get a drink order and another 10min to get the drink, then another 10min to wait to order the food. The food wait was 25min, and for the 90 min I was there, my drink was refilled only once, and I had to 'borrow' a napkin from a clean table and I had no silverware and no one asked me if my meal was okay or if I needed anything else. And when I left, the same 4 tables were not bussed or cleaned. In fact a party of 5 came in and had to move the dirty glasses out of the way, and instead of the waiter taking them away, he moved them aside to the furthest part of the table. Strike 2.
The hotel room looked nice, nice comfy bed okay showers, decent TV with a smaller than average channel line up, but a few things that irked me. 1. the cleanliness. I dont think the sheets were changed. 2. On the hook behind the bathroom door, there were 2 towels form the night before still on the hanger. And 3. no one picks up the trash in the hallways. I cant tell if it was the sheets or what, but at 3am, I woke up to this horrible smell. I couldnt go back to sleep and I had to wake up at 4 anyways, so took a shower, and when I leaving I noticed someone had put all of their food right infront of my door. 2 full containers of half eaten food with this overwhelming stench of onions (probably what woke me up) Strike 3.
Again, I could of stayed there on a bad night. But my first impression was horrible. I was on a very short business trip, I wanted to get a good nights sleep, good food, and be ready for my 6am flight the next day. I got okay food, horrible service, dirty towels, arguments between guest and staff, and didnt sleep because of a horrible smell in my room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Az
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Although overall the hotel is comfortable, convenient, and clean; I can only give the Red Lion one star due to the worst experience we have ever encountered in our 30+ years of traveling for personal or business trips. "Marlowe" (she refused to give us her last name) working registration at the front desk ignored us, would not make eye contact, then openly argued and interrupted me in front of other guests as I tried to explain to a different employee - that all three rooms we had booked more than 45 days prior to our arrival date could not be in the "back" building due to physical limitations. Be aware that the older building located behind the pool does NOT HAVE AN ELEVATOR- a clear violation of the American with Disabilities Act. I am preparing a letter that will be sent to the Corporate office of Red Lion Hotels.

Room Tip: If you cannot walk up one - three flights of stairs due to a physical limitation, before you are han...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Billings, Montana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

checked in at 10 pm at night , parked the car in front of the main entrance, and we were entering the hotel lobby to check in. got the luggage out of the car and locked the car, went back after five minutes, and the rental car was broken in, passenger window smashed, briefcase and purse stolen, Damage more than 3000 USD , all credit cards , drivers license, passport all was gone...
Horrible neighborhood, very dangerous....would never ever stay there again...Hotel staff were very helpful tho, but the management should have installed a camera in front and make the place more safe for customers, because we heard after our incident that this was not the first time in this area.....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco Bay Area
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Don't leave your car parked here for Park/Fly. When we returned from our wonderful vacation leaving our car in their main parking area after 14 days we found are car broken into. The general manager of this facility did not attempt to compensate or remediate this situation for us, i.e. I will now have to cover the expenses to repair my car for $310+. This hotel is a very marginal high crime area, typical for many areas of Oakland. Drive directly to airport earlier and park in the bonifide secured nearby pay lots instead, This hotel has a good staff but is very limited in terms of available dining and a reasonable safe surrounding neighborhood.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lodi, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed the night before an early morning flight. We left our car there for a week. Staff was good, check in good and the shuttle ran as advertised. The bar was also nice the night we got there for a cocktail before going to bed.

Room Tip: Confirm your reservation the day you will arrive and pre-pay if you have a late check in. They have...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Haleiwa, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Some of the staff really go out of their way, whether it be the pool man or Rom at the front desk. Because it is an airport hotel, if you are a frequent traveler their corporate rate is awesome and if you book even one night you can park your car FREE 10 days!!! Beat that! You can't, which is why this is our hotel of choice in the area. They are pet friendly too. However the best part is if you are a jogger or hiker or biker or rollerblader, lovely trails through the San Leandro Bay begin almost exactly across the street and they extend for a few miles. One of my dogs is still recovering from our fun day out in the sun. Unless you look for it, you wouldn't really know all that amazing protected wetlands is just across the street.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport? Share your experiences!