“Dated and slightly dingy, but with a handy location and helpful staff.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport

Save Saved
You added Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport to your Saves list
Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 Hegenberger Rd, Oakland, CA 94621 (Formerly Park Plaza Hotel)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #19 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Dated and slightly dingy, but with a handy location and helpful staff.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stayed at the Red Lion for just one night and the hotel worked out well for my purposes. It was all about location—I needed to be at the Oakland airport early the next morning to meet arriving friends. I used a discount hotel website and got the room for 89.00 incl. taxes. The room was fairly large, bathroom functional and clean, the king mattress and linens comfortable. The light over the bathroom sink barely offered enough light for me to shave, so I can’t imagine what a woman would do about make-up. The hallways and elevators really show the age of the building. For some reason they have a really stinky (!) air freshener glued to the wall of one of the elevators. It was so potent it kind of clung to my clothes so I could smell it a few minutes later.

In general, maintenance is lacking-- The room door was all scarred up from where people had let the door slam on the security bar, the alarm/time switch on the clock did not work, the TV remote was missing the battery cover… After checking out, I sat in a big upholstered chair in the lobby and it tilted wildly forward – it was missing a leg. When I pointed that out to the receptionist who was 10’ away, he sort of laughed. Judging by his lack of concern, I doubt he reported it to anyone.

I found the hotel very tolerable, although not especially nice. You wouldn’t want to plan more than an overnight. Having said that, the courtesy van drivers went out of their way to be helpful. They made it hassle-free to get to/from the airport and the Coliseum BART station. The front desk gave me a number to call for pick-up and the driver was even cheerful when I called around 01:00A when returning from downtown San Francisco. Although I did tip the drivers, I didn’t feel pressured to do so.

Room Tip: Avoid the 2nd floor with views of the rooftop and A/C systems. There really aren't any great vi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Sacile, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here with my parents in august during a visit to San Francisco. While my wife was in the elevator alone heading to the lobby, the power went off and she was stuck inside on the bottom floor. There was no manager there and the desk receptionist had no idea what to do. The manager was called and even after an hour he still wasn't there. It was a huge mess, the restaurant help inside was asking my stepdad how to calculate tips while we were trying tod figure this out. After 45 minutes, we had enough and called the fire department on our own. We weren't comped anything and after trying to reach the general mangers phone dozens of times after this incident including voicemails being left. He still has yet to call back and continues to ignore our calls. Basically they had no plan in the case of an emergency and only had a new desk receptionist there whom didn't know any of the procedures. If the manger of red lion reads this I want you to reply back. We will never stay at another red lion hotel due to this terrible experience.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed here for one night only. Nothing to complain. Our room was a queen-bed room, clean, big and very comfortable. The refrigerator and microwave oven were helpful. Besides, this hotel is near to a super market so we could buy some food for our trip the next day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel has a convenient free shuttle to and from Oakland Airport. That is the best thing I can say about this hotel. I arrived at 11pm and was given a room on the first floor. To get there, I had to go outside the hotel, through the lobby, in some doors, and through a closed off stairwell. I felt very unsafe just getting to the room. Once I got into my room, I looked out onto my patio. . . there was a large truck parked RIGHT IN FRONT of my patio. The patio had no divider between the parking lot and the patio itself. Anyone could walk from the parking lot onto my patio without any barriers. . . save for the truck that was parallel parked next to my patio.
The room itself was fine but not the quality I have come to expect from Red Lion. The sheets and towels were thin and cheap (Motel 6 quality) and the internet did not work all night (not until 6am the next day). My neighbors were loud at 11:30pm. . . I think they were wrestling.

I fly into Oakland often. Don't think I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights and it was a great place to have stayed. The rooms were spacious and both the room and bathroom were clean and had no problems. There was a ice machine on each level which allowed you to have ice at any time with any drink of yours, which I thought was quite cool. The staff were very helpful and cheerful. All in all, it was a pleasure staying here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed there 10 days. The room was very comfortable. The shuttle drivers were very friendly and accommodating. They took us to and from the Bart station daily. But, I was disappointed that after advertising transportation to Bart as a free service, they stated charging $10 in the middle of my stay. The bus stops directly in front of the hotel and it is only $2.

Skip the restaurant. The cooks do not know how to cook. The restaurant next door closed after we were there a few days. Nothing else available in walking distance.

Nice workout room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Davis, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I landed late in SFO and needed a place to stay for the night before a morning flight in Oakland.

This place..... Horrible neighborhood but semi-alright hotel. I walked to the nearby gas station and encountered pimps, prostitutes, and drug-ridden bums. At 9pm. I tried to call the front desk to ask for a disposable razor. I never heard back, but to be fair they were saturated with flight crews checking in. The room was fine. The parking lot is packed. I get the feeling that a lot of flight crews and out-of-town contractors dominate this place. If you need a functional hotel in this neighborhood then this is your place. Just don't leave the property.

Room Tip: I'd rather stay in the main tower than the rear buildings.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to Red Lion Hotel Oakland International Airport? Share your experiences!