“OK stay for convenience” 3 of 5 stars

The Inn at Jack London Square
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   233 Broadway, Oakland, CA 94607   |
Ranked #12 of 47 hotels in Oakland
Gardnerville, Nevada
“OK stay for convenience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We were attending a dinner cruise that launched across the water in Alameda so we wanted something close. The price was reasonable so we chose this one. I'm most interested in cleanliness, a comfortable bed and a strong shower. This hotel had all those things. It was a good one night stay. The neighborhood is not one to explore although we did walk one block over to see Jack London Square. In the morning we ordered room service from the Buttercup Cafe. The prices were reasonable and the breakfast very good. Cons: small bathroom, small sink area, toilet ran and had to be finessed each time, shower floor was uneven as if the unit needed to be replaced. Pros:nice looking pool area, free wi-fi, one block from Jack London square.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Oakland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We are a non profit in Oakland and booked this hotel for our out of country guests from Africa. The room was prepaid on a visa card. When they arrived after a long journey, the hotel's visa card machine did not read our guests visa card (required for incidentals) and would not check them in!!!! Talk about a grand welcome to the US and Oakland!

We called and spoke to the lady at the front desk (the manager was of course not available) told them that we could get to the hotel by this evening and will have credit card that hopefully their machine will recognize, and explained that this out of country guest could check in . Again his room was already paid for!! But no they would not let him check in. Needless to say we are feeling very bad for our partner and guest!

Definitely we will not be ever using this hotel and advise others to avoid the place!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MomiGM, Manager at The Inn at Jack London Square, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your out of town guests. It is unfortunate that your guest had expriened such inconvenience while trying to check in to our property. It is within hotel guideline and policies that all guests are advised either verbally or by written communicatuion of our credit card policy. In order to protect our facilities, we require a valid credit at check in for incidentals, which your guest could not provide. As a result of the credit not being valid, your guest was advised to contact you, and as soon as you provided the hotel with a valid card-your guest was checked in.
we wish you and your gues the best.
Redondo Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We travelled to Oakland by train and stayed at this hotel overnight. It is close to Amtrak station (less than 1/3 rd mile) and is easy to find. The rooms were clean and bright, and bed was comfortable. They have free Wi-Fi internet.

The adjacent Buttercup restaurant serves a great breakfast (including Mimosas!)

Room Tip: Take a room on the east side - further from railroad tracks.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
grover beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

My hubby & I have stayed here several times over the past 10 years & it has always been a good experience. Not a 'fancy' hotel-if you want Marriott, stay there-but clean, well maintained older rooms. Not noisy, and I come from a small town & would notice city (cars/people/trains) that others have noted. EXCELLENT staff-Evelyn is a treasure & great hospitality rep-knows the area & answered all my questions. Not sure why beahbay823 had a problem with a 10am "late' check out as check out is noon. I think many folks expect the Ritz-this is a basic hotel w/great staff in a pretty funky yet fun location. I am 55 and had no problem walking back from the BART (8 blocks) to the hotel at 11pm after the Raiders game. Lots to do & don't miss Beer Revolution (across the street) or the BBQ place (across and down 1 block). To all the whiny folks who don't like this place-stay somewhere else or put on your big kid panties and enjoy!

Room Tip: If you want 4 or more stars, not your place. If you like basic/casual w/ a little funk and good loca...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

It is an okay motel, but not what I look for when I stay out of town. I was sort of excited in thinking that I would be staying at a boutique hotel and was really looking forward to it. However, I only stayed one night before moving to a different hotel. It is an older motel but the rooms are clean. Reminded me of the Travel Lodges that use to be popular when I was younger. I did not care for the fact of a window right on the walkway and the noise from people walking by. The door on my lock was broken and there was a gap between the bottom of the door and the floor, which meant little critters could come in if they wanted. The motel is located in an area that leaves something to be desired, but the Buttercup grill next door is a great place to grab a bite to eat.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Came in late on the Amtrak Coast Starlight and we were going to SFO in the morning to rent a car. It was only several blocks from the station to the hotel so we walked. I was with my husband so it was ok, but we went through a couple of sketchy blocks to get to the hotel!

Check in was fine, rate was very good (prepaid through Hotels.com) and the room was very, very clean. It was what I expected from a 2-3 star place. A comfortable place to spend the night.

The room had a doorway into the inside hallway as well as the pool. The pool looked nice and clean and so did the rest of the area. We did not use anything but the bed!

As an earlier poster said, they were friendly, but they really did not go out of their way.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Torrance, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Actually never stayed here. Tried to check in this afternoon the lady at the front desk said $60.00 per night, I said fine! She took my card swiped it & said: Do you have a car? I said yes, she said well Sir thats a $12.00 charge for parking. I answered No thanks I will go elsewhere, she gave my card back & I walked away. Later in the evening I checked my bank account & noticed that she charged me $209.00!!
I called her & she said the extra charge was for Incidentals, what is Incidentals? Never heard of that. I asked her why she had not called the bank to release the charge, she answered "I cannot do that" My manager does that. I really advise against patronizing this place. The receptionist has a pretty bad attitude & takes delight in being rude. She thinks that she is the customer! I come to this area often & like to go to Regal Cinemas, & eat at Il Pescatore restaurant, but I will never come here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Inn at Jack London Square? Share your experiences!