“Many pleasant stays” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
San Diego
“Many pleasant stays”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

Good value here. Close to Oakland Ferry landing to get to SF. Ask for Garden room, much quieter, not on the street or central courtyard. Very friendly and courteous staff. They offer free parking on site. AAA discount, spacious and clean rooms. Have stayed here many times and will continue to go there. Shops at Jack London are within walking distance and good restaurants. Beer Revolution is across the street. If you appreciate good craft beers, definitely a must.

Room Tip: Garden room, facing courtyard, not street.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

My wife and I decided to take a short trip and watch some some jazz at Yoshis which is about 1 block away from the hotel. The hotel was recommended to us by the jazz club.
It was very convenient and located not to far from restaurants and the jazz club.
The rooms are very clean and the staff is very friendly. the restaurant downstairs serves great breakfasts in large portions.
we will definitely be back

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

I stayed here and it was gross! I have been bit all over and I'm not sure what to do about it. I took several pictures and will be posting them soon. DO NOT STAY HERE!
There is a train nearby and it's VERY LOUD

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
13 Thank 28Frog2011
momi1, General Manager at The Inn at Jack London Square, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
The Inn at Jack London Square under went an extensive renovation. We are proud in our housekeeping practices and room maintanence. Our property has not received any complaints of this nature.
We stand behind our product and under no circumstances would we allow our room to be sold in unsatisfactory conditions.

Travelers are raving about these Oakland hotels

Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

We had many problems with this hotel. The first problem we had was that we could NOT find a parking spot because the hotel shares the lot with the nearby restaurant. After that was resolved, we were given a room on the 1st floor across from the pool (all of the rooms open onto an outdoor courtyard with a pool). It was very small and musty with stained carpets. It was 10 p.m, and after a long day's drive, we were all tired and just wanted to get a good night sleep. The room beside us was quite noisy so at about 10:45 p.m. we finally called the front desk. After that was done, the train came by (whistle and all!) and let us know it ...every HALF HOUR!. All was fine until we were woken up by a women talking on her cell phone outside of our room at 7:30 a.m.. She wasn't speaking loudly but because the walls are so thin, we could hear everything that she was saying... We got out of bed, opened the door and asked her to move and thankfully she did. So, our first night was pretty restless. The next morning we tried to find another hotel but eveything was booked, so we stayed out on the town as long as possible since another night in the hotel wasn't really appealing. We returned and hoped it would be quiet. However, at about 3:00 am we were awoken again from the adjoining room on the other side of us. We went to the front desk (instead of calling because we thought that this might wake the kids) and they sent up a security person. About 30 minutes later, the same group started up again. We went to the front desk again and they security went to speak with the group again -- too late, though, the kids woke up! So, it wasn't until about 4:30 am that we were asleep again. When we got up the next day, the manager wasn't available to speak with us. The front desk staff said that they would inform the manager of the issues that occurred overnight but we never heard from them. We had to spend one last night in this dump and when we checked out we tried to speak with the manager again. And again, we were told that the manager was unavailable.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
11 Thank 155004Rob
Salinas, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

I stayed one night and had a clean, comfortable room at a reasonable price. It is close to Jack London Square and downtown. I would certainly come back.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Raroach
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

The hotel is fine. It is relaxing and the rooms are nice. The price is good value for what you get in return. Oakland is a dodgy city, but Jack London Square seemed to be danger free.
The major problem I had with this hotel is that they charged me twice for my stay and I am still waiting to be refunded. Initially I booked through another website and paid in full for 4 nights. Upon arrival we had decided to stay another couple of days. On the third the day I rang the front desk and explained that we would be staying another two nights and that I will be paying in cash. I wanted to inform them of this as I needed the money that was on my credit card for something else. I was told it was no problem and that I could settle everything at check out time. On the morning of check out I went online to internet banking to check the amount that was still on my card. It had been deducted a similar amount that added up to the extra two nights and the room service that accumulated over the 6 nights stay. I rang my bank home in Ireland and they confirmed that my card had been charged by the Inn at Jack London Square. The guy at front desk said we could pay with cash and that the card will be refunded with 48hours. I was upset that my card had been charged when it was agreed that I would be paying in cash, but we were told that the money would go back on the card within 48hours. It has been 96 hours and payment has not been refunded. It has left me and my friend really stuck for money on our trip. The difference of $277 is a lot for us. It means we have not been able to eat out in restaurants, instead we eat in Burger King or Subway. I told them I would be paying in cash. They are completely incompetent. The hotel should have informed me before charging my card. Any other hotel I have ever stayed in have always informed before charging my card. If it comes across that I am bitter about what happened, it's because I am. Be very careful with these careless people. I sent them an email explaining how I felt and I got no apology.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank robdreilly
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

There were two gentlemen I felt actually did their job right. Everyone else including the staff at the restaurant just next door provided some of the worst food and service I have ever experienced. They pretty much attempted to strip you of your money. I work in customer service and the "customer comes first" is now at all a propriety to these people. The room was clean and hotel was close to Broadway and that's about as good as it gets.. I would think twice before staying here.

Room Tip: Just avoid this place.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo