I'm afraid this review is mostly reactive, and for that I apologize, but when I see a business being treated with wretched unfairness I feel a responsibility to respond. Apparently some people think they should get Courvoiier and caviar on a Coors and crackers budget. (Or they're the competition trying to steer more business their way?) I review businesses for how well they provide for their target consumer and this inn does superbly at a price point less than Motel 6. You simply will not find a better deal within 40 miles of San Francisco.
Look at the photos--does this look like a dump? I checked in for two nights recently for a grand total of $107 because the weekly-rate hotel near my job has to kick you out after four-weeks of occupancy or you become a tenant under California law. (Thanks California do-gooders--one again you've buggered the very people your nanny-state laws ostensibly aim to protect. If occupants keep paying the weekly rate, no sane hotel owner is going to make them check out, ever.)
What I found was a clean, tastefully painted and furnished room with a pillow-top mattress more comfy than the one I once slept on at the Plaza Hotel in New York. The granite sink and shaving area outside the toilet and shower were particularly attractive. After I showered, I microwaved a Taco Hell burrito, retrieved my eggnog from the fridge below, then watched a minotaur rape a squire in "Your Highness" on HBO. Afterward, I finished John D. MacDonald's "Pale Gray for Guilt" by the light of the bright lights recessed in the ceiling above the head of the bed.
So what's missing? A friendly staff? No, they couldn't have been nicer. Parking? There's a ton of it. Lamps? See above--the recessed ceiling lights do a better job for bedtime reading than most of the small 60-watt table lamps found in most inns. Wall art? Not in my room--there was a nice print. Shampoo? Oh puh-leeze. And if you want more than two pillows, princess, bring you own--I do.
What other issues have been raised? Scary people? I didn't see any. Just a lot of trucks parked about, indicating a working crowd trying to get a good night's sleep. Scary neighborhood? There's nothing there to be scared of. It's a semi-industrial area of construction suppliers and such, absolutely deserted at night. No self-respecting criminal would waste his time there unless he wanted to steal some garden statuary. The motel itself is enclosed within a high fence topped with concertina wire, with ingress and egress along a single drive by the office. It's secure enough. DO bring some foam earplugs (recommend Pretty in Pink brand--so soft, so comfy, so pink). The freeway hugs one side of the inn and trains run about a half mile north. (Me, I love the sound a train whistle at night. I requested that side off the inn.)
The worst problem you'll likely have is working out the route to the place. Coliseum Way is one-way at that point, so you'll probably need to circle around using Alameda Avenue and 50th Street. Consult a map app.
- Also Known As:
- Bay Breeze Inn Oakland Hotel Oakland
- Bay Breeze Inn Oakland Hotel
- Bay Breeze Hotel Oakland
- Bay Breeze Oakland
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are centered in the sixth Largest Metropolitan area in the United States: the San Francisco Bay Area. Bay Breeze Inn is just a short walk to Oracle Arena and McAfee Coliseum - home to the Oakland Athletics, Oakland Raiders and Golden State Warriors as well as a host of other sporting events, concerts and family shows. The Oakland International Airport is a short four mile drive from the Bay Breeze Inn. We're conveniently located off interstate highway 880 - only a 20 minute drive to downtown San Francisco, 30 minute drive to San Jose and 45 minute drive to Napa Valley Wine Country. The Bay Breeze Inn is near some of the best dining, shopping and entertainment the Bay Area has to offer in historic Jack London Square. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Tingo, Venere, Priceline and Hotwire so you can book your Bay Breeze Inn Oakland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.