“Very considerate hosts!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Athena, Oregon
“Very considerate hosts!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We came to Oakland for a friend's wedding and needed to be there by 4 pm. From the first phone conversation, the hosts (it seems to be a family-run business) were willing to make our room ready for us early, so we could have more time to rest, shower and change. We really appreciated that.

The building is rather old, but the room was clean and nicely decorated. The beds were comfortable, the water was hot, the iron, hairdryer and wifi all worked. The neighborhood seemed a little on the rough side, but the parking lot is gated and under surveillance. A metalwork fence and gate closes off the pleasant courtyard (complete with tiled fountain) in the center of the inn.

The location is convenient, 5 minutes from the downtown/Lake Merritt area by car, and near a BART station. We're glad we chose the Imperial Inn.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

I stayed here for a few nights while working in San Francisco. Checking in the guy was friendly, and it was done quickly. The grounds and the courtyard were kept clean. The room was great. The bed was clean, with some nice linens. The bathroom was clean. The room overall was very clean! Conveniently close to BART so was able to make in to San Francisco with no problem. The room was refreshed daily very nicely. The bed was made, soaps and towels were refreshed. It was quiet for the most part at night time. It looked like there were some cool eateries close by, although I didn't get much of a chance as I would like to have to get out and explore. The only bad thing I found was wi fi was slow/stopped at times. Overall, a great value for the money!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Stopped here because the hotel prices on San Francisco are unbelievable, the most expensive place I stayed on my trip through California. We stayed here for three nights and buzzed across to San Fran in the morning and at night on the BART which is within walking distance. The BART is cheap and really fast. You have to pay a toll to get to San Fran anyway so you might as-well ride it. The area is not as bad as people make out, I wouldn't stay here if I was a single young female, but as a couple or something I'm sure you will be fine. Where I was brought up was rougher than this, and I'm still alive.

The staff in the hotel were all Indian, not that this makes a difference to anything but I thought it was a spot odd. It's also Buddhist, so nice peaceful people. Check-in was efficient and the staff were friendly and helpful. When I arrived at my room it had a very strong aroma of incense. I don't mind incense but it was a bit too strong. Room was clean, bed was clean, bathroom was clean. TV is huge and has good cable. WiFi works but its a bit slow.

I stayed three nights and the incense wore off pretty much after one. Parking is good and the parking lot is fairly busy so I felt fine leaving the car there. Carl's Jr next door is convenient.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

I was called for a gig at the last minute, in an area of CA in which good, clean, SAFE & FRUGAL lodging it hard to come by. When two venues fell through, I was stuck. Set the GPS on Lodging and drove around areas of Emeryville and Oakland which have seen much better days. Passed by the Imperial Inn, saw the parking lot was not only clean of all types of detritus, human and otherwise, but that it also had only one opening for entrance and exit alike. I pulled in, not feeling too positive when I saw the packed lot. Inside, the manager, Andy, was very pleasant, and explained he could put me up, but only for four nights, at his “best” rate, which came to, with tax and fees, $70 per night. The gig was to last at least 2-3 weeks, but I would deal with the housing issue on the weekend. I said fine, handed over $280 and went to my room.

Beggars cannot be choosers, and thus I found myself walking up the stairs to the second of three floors, the elevator not working. And then, walking to the next to the last room on the landing, quite a hike. I was heartened, however, to find a nice refrigerator and microwave, good TV, free WiFi, which was a little shaky due to my distance from the office. The bed and all other accouterments were fine. I settled my things into the room, then drove the mile or so to the closest Safeway, where I stocked up on items for the few days I would be there, both for work and before and after.

Next day, I returned to the room after a grueling day and found the bed made. Nice. But the towels were gone! Including the clean, unused ones from the rack. Bizarre. Never saw that before, ever. Clerk on duty was nice enough to send up a maid with everything, including the towels, soap, TP, etc. Next day, same thing. Oh, well, at last my own things were left untouched.

I the end, this was a safe haven for a few days until I got settled into a more permanent-temporary setting for the remainder of my gig. There is security at night and a Carl’s Jr. right next door, as well as other shops very close by.

Room Tip: Ask for Andy, the Manager. Very nice man, professional, knowledgeable.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We were visiting friends in Oakland and were pleased to find the reasonably priced Imperial Inn. While it met our needs, in terms of location and cost, we were honestly a bit disappointed in the quality and cleanliness of the room. Perks: free parking, free wifi, a fridge, cable tv, spacious room. Downsides: overall dingy feel to the room (e.g., hole in door of bathroom which also didn't close all the way, something like a big hole/burn in the comforter, phone was disconnected and didn't work at all, etc.). The staff was friendly and welcoming. I should say that we're really not fussy people and don't mind a little noise or mess, and I don't doubt that other rooms might be in better shape than ours was, but I did find the cumulative drab details of the room off-putting.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Well firstly it is important to point out that this is a value inn not a 5 star hotel. My 4 star rating is for the fact that we had a very good experience for the money spent. Good points - clean, big rooms, with cable. Quiet, despite being close to the road. Staff were polite. Location is convenient, it's in a run down part of town but the car park is behind closed gates so that gave me piece of mind regarding security. It is also very close to the shops and restaurants on Piedmont avenue, which was the main reason we were there. Bad points - the bathroom is small and shower only ok.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

I rate this place very good because everything is relative. In this part of Oakland you are *not* going to find a Hilton, or even a Holiday Inn. You will find quite a few places where you will probably not want to stay. This motel, however, may be the best in the neighborhood (which isn't that bad - great bagels just around the corner on Telegraph). It is clean, inexpensive, has comfortable beds and more than adequate amenities, and the management is friendly and helpful. (For example, I returned late one afternoon to find that my room had not yet been cleaned. I talked to the manager and he had it made up within 10 minutes.) Perhaps my only caveat: the area is noisy, the walls not thick; if you are a light sleeper, bring ear plugs.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakland
Bay Breeze Inn Oakland
Quality Inn Oakland
Quality Inn Oakland
#22 of 48 in Oakland
3.5 of 5 stars 183 reviews

Been to Imperial Inn? Share your experiences!