“Recommended” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Boulder, Colorado
“Recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

I rate this place very good because everything is relative. In this part of Oakland you are *not* going to find a Hilton, or even a Holiday Inn. You will find quite a few places where you will probably not want to stay. This motel, however, may be the best in the neighborhood (which isn't that bad - great bagels just around the corner on Telegraph). It is clean, inexpensive, has comfortable beds and more than adequate amenities, and the management is friendly and helpful. (For example, I returned late one afternoon to find that my room had not yet been cleaned. I talked to the manager and he had it made up within 10 minutes.) Perhaps my only caveat: the area is noisy, the walls not thick; if you are a light sleeper, bring ear plugs.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

My mom and I wanted to find a room close to the Fox Theater for a concert. The Imperial was in a very close location to the venue and, as an added bonus, its vicinity to the Macarthur Bart station was unbeatable. The motel is dated on the outside but it seems like the family that owns the place has put in a great effort to make the interior of the rooms more up-to-date and comfortable. We were only using the room from about 6pm until 9am the next morning, so there are a few parts of the room I cannot speak for, like the quality of the shower or the operation of the appliances (though the fridge kept our beer cold!). It seemed like the channels on the TV were not programmed correctly. In the room was a channel listing of at least fifty channels but I doubt that more than 20 of them were actually view-able. BUT, we weren't there to watch TV, and that's my only complaint. The bed was very comfortable and I got a great night's rest. The most memorable part of our stay at the Imperial Inn is how nice and accommodating the family that owns the hotel was to us. When it was time for us to go to the show, it was going to take an excessive amount of time for a cab to come get us. The hotel owner just had his lovely daughter take us a very short distance up the road to the Fox Theater. It was no inconvenience and she even told us to call when the show was over for a ride home (though, when it was over, we felt it was too late and just got a cab back). For $70 in the Bay Area, I feel like we got our money's worth. We were so surprised at how nice they were, they have earned our business for many Fox Theater concerts to come.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Fresno
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for one night as I was going to an event in SF. Rooms near the event were pricey or cheap but one risked contracting hep C by the looks of them. I stayed in Oakland for the price and this inn had several reviews recommending it. Check in was fast and the staff was polite. The outside was clean and the court yard was very cute. Only one way in and out of the actual hotel which I liked as it kept funny folks away. My two queen room was a good size and appeared clean. A microwave and mini fridge came in handy during my quick stay as I didn't have much time to go eat elsewhere so I took my own stuff. Bathroom was very tiny. Shower head was very low so I had to adjust and minimal toiletries provided. Toilet paper was super thin and cheap. Otherwise plenty of towels were provided and were clean. There was also an iron and hair dryer available and some closet space. Good selection of channels on the tv. Checked the sheets before laying on them and found no hair, stains on them but I did find a few tiny holes. Coffee machine was missing the pot and I wasn't given the wifi code. What bothered me was that the door did not lock properly and thankfully my brother was there to slam it and wiggle the lock so we were safe. This is not a five star! There are improvements to be made but I can tell management works hard to keep it up. Budget cannot be beat and I slept well for one night. Overall good stay!

• Stayed November 2013
california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I'm an easy going guy. I'm also CHEAP! I read some reviews about this place, and figured I'd take a chance at staying there for $70/night during the weekend. Well let's go down the list of why you should avoid this craphole:
1) I confirmed my reservations (I know people don't do that anymore), and asked the lady to make sure I got one of the renovated rooms. What did I get instead? I walked in to see a dresser with a broken drawer hanging diagonally, a cigarette burned end table by the bed, a fabric chair and "ottoman" that had a very "suspicious" stain on it (I'll let your imagination figure that one out, because MY imagination had me running for the door..I'M NOT LYING HERE!). So, I go down to the lobby, and this punk kid behind the counter tells me that the drawers are like that in EVERY room (as if he were convincing me not to be insulted by it). When I asked him to change my room, he said no, and started rambling (honestly) about how "there are higher people, and "You know how that is." HIGHER PEOPLE? THIS IS A $70/NIGHT SLOP HOUSE! WHO'S THE BIGWIG STAYING HERE???? Luckily, the woman I had talked to the night before heard my outrage at the kid, and came out. She gave me another room that was renovated. It was cleaner, but I have to admit that my mood was set by the bad experience. Then I found out that the A/C, cut off after 40 minutes of use! It was a hot weekend. THEN the window wouldn't open for air (room 208...The room to AVOID was 210).
Now, I really tried to be the 'good sport" and figure that I get what I pay for, but when the management didn't do anything about a party next to my room on Saturday night, that's when I figured the service here was lacking as bad as the area that this place was located. I TOTALLY get parties on Saturday night, but I was easily able to hear teenagers here drinking, smoking, and going NUTS passed midnight. I thought to myself, "I CAN'T be the only one who hears them!!!!" So I called. I'll give them credit in that they called the cops, and got the scuzzy tenants out; but only after they let them go nuts for 3 hours well into the morning. Even as the rowdies were being escorted out, other tenants started yelling at them to shut up. That made me realize that I WASN'T the only one who heard them for the duration of their wild party, and that the owners of the hotel were totally fine with this as long as they got their rent paid for the room.
AVOID THIS CRAP HOLE! GO TO MOTEL 6 INSTEAD..At least with Motel 6, if you get crappy treatment, then a complaint will get you a free night comped..Here? You just get a smiling lady constantly doing damage control! OH!!! The bathrooms are so small that it's hard to open and close the door when inside. They also messed up bringing me towels for each and every night (there were 3 pre-paid nights, mind you). Also, when I needed to go back in my room on the morning of departure (to make a phone call to a cab), they simply refused to answer the bell at their office.
IT'S IN A ROUGH AREA OF OAKLAND, AND YOU'RE GUARANTEED TO HAVE A HARROWING EXPERIENCE IF YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE BUT PASS THIS HOVEL BY!! MARK MY WORDS; YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay in your car before you pull up in their driveway.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
united kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

we stayed here for 4 nights as we couldn't get anywhere near san fran due to America cup. first impressions weren't great. neighbourhood isn't great where the motel I wouldn't feel safe to walk around at night on my own but saying that I didn't so it might have been fine. hotel rooms need proper cleaning and also could do with renovating. the wifi isn't great either and all the items in the room don't match. there is a phone in the room but its just for show. if this motel was cheap, all these things wouldn't matter as much but it wasn't. I had to speak to them about the wifi but nothing changed and then when I checked out they didn't even ask how my stay was as I guess they don't want to hear or don't care. positive notes.....the bart train is just around the corner 5 mins most and a 20 minute journey in the centre of san fran. carl j is next door and although we only tried it once the food was great so something quick. you also get 20% discount if you eat here from the hotel. the car parking is free. if this motel was updated and the prices stayed the same or if the motel lowed the prices there would be more positive reviews.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This hotel stopped in the 70's and it seems that nothing have been renewed or clean since that. Rooms have a bad smell, beds are not cleans and even the bathroom is dirty. Employees barely speak English. Stay away!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

After being quoted rates of $180 to $290 by the big chains around the Emeryville Amtrak station, I found a cab driver who introduced me to the Imperial! What a pleasant surprise! Large CLEAN room, comfortable king bed, refrigerator and microwave, along with coffee and bottled water; all for $75 including tax. I'll be back!

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Imperial Inn? Share your experiences!