“THERE ARE TOO MANY BETTER CHOICES AT THEIR PRICE!” 2 of 5 stars

Imperial Inn
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   490 W MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94609   |
Ranked #14 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
california
“THERE ARE TOO MANY BETTER CHOICES AT THEIR PRICE!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I'm an easy going guy. I'm also CHEAP! I read some reviews about this place, and figured I'd take a chance at staying there for $70/night during the weekend. Well let's go down the list of why you should avoid this craphole:
1) I confirmed my reservations (I know people don't do that anymore), and asked the lady to make sure I got one of the renovated rooms. What did I get instead? I walked in to see a dresser with a broken drawer hanging diagonally, a cigarette burned end table by the bed, a fabric chair and "ottoman" that had a very "suspicious" stain on it (I'll let your imagination figure that one out, because MY imagination had me running for the door..I'M NOT LYING HERE!). So, I go down to the lobby, and this punk kid behind the counter tells me that the drawers are like that in EVERY room (as if he were convincing me not to be insulted by it). When I asked him to change my room, he said no, and started rambling (honestly) about how "there are higher people, and "You know how that is." HIGHER PEOPLE? THIS IS A $70/NIGHT SLOP HOUSE! WHO'S THE BIGWIG STAYING HERE???? Luckily, the woman I had talked to the night before heard my outrage at the kid, and came out. She gave me another room that was renovated. It was cleaner, but I have to admit that my mood was set by the bad experience. Then I found out that the A/C, cut off after 40 minutes of use! It was a hot weekend. THEN the window wouldn't open for air (room 208...The room to AVOID was 210).
Now, I really tried to be the 'good sport" and figure that I get what I pay for, but when the management didn't do anything about a party next to my room on Saturday night, that's when I figured the service here was lacking as bad as the area that this place was located. I TOTALLY get parties on Saturday night, but I was easily able to hear teenagers here drinking, smoking, and going NUTS passed midnight. I thought to myself, "I CAN'T be the only one who hears them!!!!" So I called. I'll give them credit in that they called the cops, and got the scuzzy tenants out; but only after they let them go nuts for 3 hours well into the morning. Even as the rowdies were being escorted out, other tenants started yelling at them to shut up. That made me realize that I WASN'T the only one who heard them for the duration of their wild party, and that the owners of the hotel were totally fine with this as long as they got their rent paid for the room.
AVOID THIS CRAP HOLE! GO TO MOTEL 6 INSTEAD..At least with Motel 6, if you get crappy treatment, then a complaint will get you a free night comped..Here? You just get a smiling lady constantly doing damage control! OH!!! The bathrooms are so small that it's hard to open and close the door when inside. They also messed up bringing me towels for each and every night (there were 3 pre-paid nights, mind you). Also, when I needed to go back in my room on the morning of departure (to make a phone call to a cab), they simply refused to answer the bell at their office.
IT'S IN A ROUGH AREA OF OAKLAND, AND YOU'RE GUARANTEED TO HAVE A HARROWING EXPERIENCE IF YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE BUT PASS THIS HOVEL BY!! MARK MY WORDS; YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay in your car before you pull up in their driveway.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
united kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

we stayed here for 4 nights as we couldn't get anywhere near san fran due to America cup. first impressions weren't great. neighbourhood isn't great where the motel I wouldn't feel safe to walk around at night on my own but saying that I didn't so it might have been fine. hotel rooms need proper cleaning and also could do with renovating. the wifi isn't great either and all the items in the room don't match. there is a phone in the room but its just for show. if this motel was cheap, all these things wouldn't matter as much but it wasn't. I had to speak to them about the wifi but nothing changed and then when I checked out they didn't even ask how my stay was as I guess they don't want to hear or don't care. positive notes.....the bart train is just around the corner 5 mins most and a 20 minute journey in the centre of san fran. carl j is next door and although we only tried it once the food was great so something quick. you also get 20% discount if you eat here from the hotel. the car parking is free. if this motel was updated and the prices stayed the same or if the motel lowed the prices there would be more positive reviews.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This hotel stopped in the 70's and it seems that nothing have been renewed or clean since that. Rooms have a bad smell, beds are not cleans and even the bathroom is dirty. Employees barely speak English. Stay away!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

After being quoted rates of $180 to $290 by the big chains around the Emeryville Amtrak station, I found a cab driver who introduced me to the Imperial! What a pleasant surprise! Large CLEAN room, comfortable king bed, refrigerator and microwave, along with coffee and bottled water; all for $75 including tax. I'll be back!

• Stayed August 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Excellent value. Close to BART and only 30 min to Embarcadero which includes walking to the station. Room was nice, quiet and clean. Bed was wonderful! We will be back next time we're visiting San Francisco.

• Stayed August 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Went to visit oakland, CA in late january and stayed here at the Imperial Inn for 6 nights. The first thing I noticed that caught my attention right away, was the complementary spiritual literature placed in plain view inside the office. With the Watchtower magazines being purposely placed, it indicated that the staff had a knowledge and Understanding of Our Grand Creator. This made me very comfortable. Especially since I am a believer. I arrived in town late, therefore I was a little upset to learn that my reservation could not be found. I had booked online earlier in the month through travelers But the office had no evidence of me booking. None the less, everything was resolved once I presented my confirmation papers. Once inside my room, I was blown away. The room was tidy, and spacious, the carpet was clean, and the furniture was nice. My room came with soap, shampoo, plenty of towels, a bottle water and a chocolate chip cookie. Everyday the room was refreshed. There was only one hanger in my room but no big deal. The best part of my stay was the staff without a doubt. Everyone working there was very hospitable from my the time of my arrival until my departure. The staff took pride in the interior and the exterior of the motel. early in the morning you could see the staff watering the plants, sweeping the grounds, and cleaning the fountain inside the courtyard. I was allowed to print out my boarding pass from behind the front desk, and I also was granted a late check out. When I return to Oakland i will stay here again. Downtown Oakland is only 10 mins away by bus. I played basketball at a playground that was only a 5 minute walk from the Imperial inn. Food wise, there is a Carl Jr's restaurant that serves outstanding burgers right out front of the Imperial Inn, and a Jack In The Box, (something us folks don't have on the east coast) right down the street.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Lovely management Susie n staff Dev provided great, polite service even at odd hours way past midnight. Spacious rooms. Replenished toiletries n towels daily. Excellent location: next to Carls Junior n Korean restaurant; 5 minutes walk from Bart, half an hour bart ride to San Francisco. Also very short walking distance to Walgreens supermarket n more than 10 eateries serving cosmopolitan food from Italian to Chinese to Ethiopian.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Imperial Inn? Share your experiences!