“Beware” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
tucson
“Beware”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

Wanted a clean inexpensive room for a quick night in Oakland. Had plans for dinner in the Piedmont area so the Westwind seemed like a good budget choice. I had called well in advance to reserve two non smoking rooms as we were traveling with friends. They do not take a credit card number, just a name for the reservation. I called to confirm the rooms the morning of our arrival. I also wanted to let the front desk know that our flight arrived in Oakland at 5:30pm so we might not be there until 7pm or so.
When we arrived, the man at the front desk was very nice. He explained that they had some electrical problem in one of the non smoking rooms reserved for us so we would have to have a smoking room. Our friends offered to stay in the smoking room. I never entered the room, but apparently the smoke was bad,
Our room was a non smoking King. It had a weird odor (not smoke, but something else). There was a broken sconce above the bed. I don't mean a burned our light bulb, I mean a jagged piece of glass with a light bulb poking through. The bathroom door had no latch and would not stay closed. The wood was actually missing where the latch would normally be on the door. There was mold/mildew all over the bathroom wall and the cheap plastic shower curtain was also full of mold/mildew.
The toilet was clean. Other than the moldy shower curtain, the shower was clean. The bedsheets smelled of bleach (clean). We were able to get a reasonable nights sleep.
Seems like a trip to home depot and $10 could make a world of diffence in this place. Fix the sconce, change the shower curtain, paint the bathroom wall and fix the door.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
innkeep336, General Manager at Westwind Lodge, responded to this review, February 2, 2011
After reading your review, I understand how our accomodations need to be upgraded. Rest assured should you ever choose to return to us, we would be happy to offer comp your stay in one of our renovated rooms. Again, we apologize for your inconvenience and hope you enjoyed the time you did spend in the bay area.

Thank you for your time.
-Manny

Midwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

When I made my reservation, the man on the phone said to call 48 hours before checking in to confirm the reservation. When I called to confirm the reservation, the woman (presumably the owner) said it was not the policy, nor was my reservation in their book. They did have a room for me though.

The room was clean and good sized. The bathroom was a little cold as the window was only louvered glass.

Current price is $65.00/night.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Davis, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

My room had a great view of the park across the street. I was in Oakland to see my brother who works at Kaiser of Oakland and has a small apartment nearby so locationwise it was perfect. It is a motel but a really good motel. My room came with a microwave, fridge, dvd player, king bed, and i got my own ip address on their wifi netwrk. The housekeepers are great and the kid who runs the office always asked me if i was comfortable. Its nice to know if i ever needed anything like an extra pillow or a movie to watch, all i had to do was ask. if you have the guts to stay at any motel in this area, come to the Westwind Lodge.

jeferson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2006

I work as a travel nurse at Kaiser Hospital on Macarthur Blvd. in Oakland, and the Westwind lodge is right acroos the street. It is very affordable$45.00/night,and while it is not the Hilton it is clean and I felt safe. I will be returning. The room had a microwave, fridge, cable,and a dvd player. The beds were okay. The manager is the son of the owner, and they are trying to re-do all the rooms, and they are going to make a laundry room also. The outside looks bad, but they plan to paint,and get a new sign . I like the idea of trying to help small businesses, that are working to make their places better. For a budget motel, it is above average. They even have wireless.

Been to Westwind Lodge? Share your experiences!