You added Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   122 East 12th Street, Oakland, CA 94606 (Formerly Economy Inn)   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights - Save 20%
Ranked #36 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Cottage Grove, MN
“Denise ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Our room was very run down. It seems like the whole hotel needs renovations. We did enjoy walking the path around Lake Merritt and the fact we could walk to the Bart. There is very few restaurants located close to the hotel. The staff didn't seem very knowledgeable about the area.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
ABVIOaklandCA L, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Hello Denise,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, your comments and honesty is truly appreciated. As the new General Manager of this property, I am seeking feedback from valued guests such as yourself in an effort to constantly make improvements. You are absolutely correct in that there are areas that require attention and we've taken steps to make those improvements beginning with our bathroom renovation. There are further improvements planned in the future and we hope to have you with us again once they are completed.

I am sorry to hear that the staff you encountered were not helpful in regard to being knowledgeable about our locale. I will definitely be working with them to improve their customer service. I thank you again for sharing your experience and hope to see you again in the future.

Warmest regards,

Christopher Hill
Americas Best Value Inn - Lake Merritt, Oakland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Huntington Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I'd been lulled into believing that ABVI had a uniform standard for quality and service-until now. The location was good, but it is right on the edge of being not good. The place had a low-class clientel, most of whom smoked and threw their cigarette buts outside their doors. On my first morning, I stepped in vomit on the upper stairs and again dripping down to the lower level. They cut off the breakfast bar too early and everthing in the room is cheap and out of date. We came back on one occaision to find an irate customer cursing at the manager and pounding down the door of the office! Forget about staying here.

Room Tip: The Marriot is only a few blocks away
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Photos are not showing the run down condition of this hotel. Got a 3rd floor with bad smell and water stains on ceiling. Cheap interior, linen and towels. Would grade it 1 star and below. Hot/cold water handles are switched, view from back window is garbage. Stay away.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
West Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

My first impression was that this is a budget hotel in a good location. The parking lot is fenced and clean. The staff is very welcoming and helpful. The location of this hotel is perfect for Oakland. Merritt Lake is across the street and it is just perfect in this regard. The room was somewhat clean but did have a musky smell to it. The shower was newly renovated and nice.

When I checked in I told the clerk that I was there on business and needed to make sure that the WiFi connection was good. He put me in a room near the office with the hopes that the location would help. The internet was great when it connected but dropped off unexpectedly for long periods of time. My connection (both on my phone and laptop) to the router was solid but the connection from that router to the internet was very inconsistent. I asked the office clerk to reset the router but he didn't know the location of the router or how to reset it if he did know where it was. There were only two electrical outlets in the room, one behind the TV and one by the entry door. If you brought a hair dryer, don't expect to use it in the bathroom unless you brought your own extension cord. There weren't any lamps on the night stands because there weren't any outlets for them to plug into.

Lastly - the bed. It was horrible and old. When you sat on the side of it it sank deeply. There was a large hump in the middle.

The location and the staff are the best things about this hotel. I WANT to stay here when I'm in town for business but the terrible internet and bedding, during this visit, will likely make me look elsewhere. :-(

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
ABVIOaklandCA L, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
I received a copy of your complaint and wanted to take the time to personally respond.
I was disheartened to hear about the negative experience that you had at this hotel. I understand you experience trouble with the Wifi and had an uncomfortable bed. I am sorry for you connection issues. I called our provider this morning and all of the routers where tested and have no issues at this time. He did tell me that some guest gets kicked off when they are steaming too much bandwidth.
I believe we spoke about your issues and we found a way to make it right with you.
I thank you for bringing this to my attention and I will share your review with my entire team to ensure that this experience will not repeat itself in the future. I am very grateful for the feedback that you have provided as it helps us to continually work to improve our hotel.
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2015

Location, Location, Location! Across the street for wonderful Lake Merritt and trail. Short drive to China Town and Jack London areas. Merely a long walk to Downtown area. Great view of building scape skyline. Arthur particularly helpful.

Room Tip: From the 2nd and 3rd floors from #s 206 to 201 & 306 to 301, you have a view of the pedestrian b...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
ABVIOaklandCA L, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt, responded to this review, March 31, 2015
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your stay at our hotel. Our business is one in which the staff gets to know our guests, who sometimes stay with us for weeks or months and to have everyone feel comfortable at their "home away from home". We believe that building a professional, courteous, and accommodating relationship with our guests will continue to bring them back for future stays. I would also like to thank you for your kind comments about our staff and in particular Arthur. I will be happy to let everyone know they are delivering the guest satisfaction that we strive to provide each and every day.

Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for posting your review. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations, in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2015

I've stayed at the ABVI - Lake Merrit, Oakland many times and contrast to many others, have always been a loyal customer, that is until now.

After misplacing my debit card I was using a temporary debit card, and for two nights in a row, was denied check in as their system could not get authorization on my card. The card was fine, and my bank confirmed the card is working and said its the hotels system not reading temporary cards.

The Manager was called, treated me like a criminal and never once made me feel like the loyal customer and ABVI Brand Champion I had been. So for two night I was stuck in downtown Oakland looking for a room. I even called prior to check in to make sure all was fine with check in, And was told I was all set.

I won't stay there again unless I get a call from the Manager saying they have resolved the issues in using temporary cards and rhat my business is welcomed and appreciated.

Shame on you.

JD

Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2015

I booked for oneday as a family. The room was very bad condition. Cleanliness, furnitures, eveything was terrible. The room was smelled moisture. Location is not safety.
breakfast didnt fullfilled our expactations. I dont recommend any family to stay in this facility

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
ABVIOaklandCA L, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt, responded to this review, March 24, 2015
I was disheartened to hear about the negative experience that you had at this hotel. I would love the opportunity to talk to you in person about your stay with us. We are in the process of finishing upgrading every bathroom at our hotel.
I also would like the opportunity to apologize for your unhappiness. And find out more information about your stay with us.

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt? Share your experiences!