“A senior citizen in a room with no heat - for 2 nights - a safety issue : who would believe this story?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt

You added Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   122 East 12th Street, Oakland, CA 94606 (Formerly Economy Inn)   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Winter Savings-Save 15%
Ranked #35 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Burke, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I checked in Mon. night in January 2015 and was issued room 111. I was issued a room that was theoretically blocked as the heat does not work in the room. I did not know that and I do not know if the woman on the reception desk did. In the middle of the night I called to ask for assistance to start the heater (it was below freezing Jan 12 and Jan 13). No answer. I called at 7am and was told it would be fixed by 10am. I returned to the hotel at 6pm on Tuesday and found still no functioning heater. I spoke to John at the front desk, who informed me the room should never have been issued to a guest. He spoke to the manager, Ian (who refused later to speak to me - saying he was not on the clock). Ian said that despite having unoccupied rooms they were all booked for incoming guests so he would not move me - in effect if I suffered through one night I could suffer through a second night but no need to subject a new guest to that cold. He did offer to speak with me the next morning at 7am which of course does not solve the problem. He felt a discount would make me sleep warmer. Haha!! In any case, I am checked out at 7:320am with the rest of my group: Ian was there and said not a word, or apology. So if he respnds to this review, that's more than he did when there.

I spoke to the 800 reservations personnel and specifically Johnny, who I was told was a supervisor. He told me he could not do anything but at my insistence spoke with the front desk (john) who acknowledged the problem and repeated his manager's instructions. Johnny said they might set a time limit so that if a guest did not arrive they could move me. John the receptionist said that would not happen until midnight. Given my bad cough, John then offered to give me a second blanket which he did bring to the room.

In summary, I was issued a room marked as inhabitable because the heater didn't work, the problem was not fixed even though I called about it, and no one took responsibility to set aside another room for me in the course of the day. The manager felt that if I survived one night, why night 2 nights. This seems to be Americana Value Club service. The message wad clear to me: a future guest is more important than a paying guest. Is that the message of the brand?

Room Tip: Ask about the heating in 111 before taking it
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2014

The front desk started off by helping us as much as they can. They printed us maps, directions, and called us a cab or two. I took this trip to visit my family and I forgot my phone charger at home. I asked Ian at the front if he had any extra. He then proceeded to pull a plethora of cables from the back and asked which type I needed. I was able to finally charge my phone with the cable and he even showed me this new device that can charge on the road. I thought it was pretty nifty. Anywho our room was great. The guests outside were a bit noisy the first day but after the 2nd it got quieter. I recommend 3rs floor as rooms are thin walled. At check out we had a lot of bags but the maint guy helped us bring them down. I think name was Man that's what we heard him called. They really try to accommodate you here.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
ABVIOaklandCA L, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt, responded to this review, November 12, 2014
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your stay at our hotel. Our business is one in which the staff gets to know our guests, who sometimes stay with us for weeks or months and to have everyone feel comfortable at their "home away from home". We believe that building a professional, courteous, and accommodating relationship with our guests will continue to bring them back for future stays. I would also like to thank you for your kind comments about our staff and in particular Ian & Mann . I will be happy to let everyone know they are delivering the guest satisfaction that we strive to provide each and every day.

Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for posting your review. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations, in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2014 via mobile

The front desk crew rocked!
Loved the room after the crazy work hours, bed felt so good and chilling with the TV was perfect.
Yvette helped me so much with maps and good ideas of stuff to do! She made me smile every day.
Headin home to Florida but this was a great home base while I was here.

• Stayed October 2014
ABVIOaklandCA L, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt, responded to this review, November 10, 2014
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your stay at our hotel. Our business is one in which the staff gets to know our guests, who sometimes stay with us for weeks or months and to have everyone feel comfortable at their "home away from home". We believe that building a professional, courteous, and accommodating relationship with our guests will continue to bring them back for future stays. I would also like to thank you for your kind comments about our staff and in particular Yvette . I will be happy to let everyone know they are delivering the guest satisfaction that we strive to provide each and every day.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2014

The Good:
* Carpet, bed linens, shower curtain and towels appeared new
* Good amenities, including air conditioning, flat panel TV, microwave and refrigerator
* Friendly desk clerk
* Low price

The Bad:
* Noisy intersection - - heavy vehicles and motorcycles accelerating away from stoplight well past midnight
* Plumbing problems - - shower water alternated between scalding hot and freezing cold
* Bathroom fan did not work
* Electric outlet underneath desk was the 2-prong style - - would not accept my computer plug
* Internet connection worked when I checked in, but not the next morning

The Ugly:
* This motel is an old property desperately in need of renovation - - the electricity and plumbing was antiquated, the walls and door moldings showed decades of wear and tear, and the bathroom mirror was corroded

* The view from my room included the abandoned and trash-filled swimming pool, graffiti-covered walls, and the chain-link fencing and barbed wire of neighboring businesses

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
ABVIOaklandCA L, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt, responded to this review, October 21, 2014
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write about your stay at our hotel. Our business is one in which the staff gets to know our guests, who sometimes stay with us for weeks and to have everyone feel comfortable at their "home away from home".
We are working on upgrading are shower right now. And we just completed the entire parking lot upgrade.

Orange county
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2014

This place wasn't that bad if your just looking for a place to sleep, they do offer a little breakfast in the morning and the guest weren't all that bad, I see it like this if you can pass by someone and they say hi to you, then it's not that bad, but if your looking for the royal treatment, this is not where you want to be. I heard a few people complaining, and the manger was very polite the whole time, so you get what you pay for " a place to sleep".you can already tell by the time you drive up, what to expect. So stop with the complaining and just go somewhere else. They are trying to please whose who are willing to listen.

Stayed October 2014
ABVIOaklandCA L, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt, responded to this review, October 20, 2014

Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2014

I stay at this motel often primarily because of the price vs. value issue. The next to last visit was terrible, with many things not working or properly maintained in the room I received. The last visit was a big improvement, with a refurbished bathroom, everything working properly, and improved housekeeping. Only one small complaint: they were out of orange juice for the free continental breakfast, which is pretty sparse to begin with.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms when checking in. There is no elevator, so avoid the third floo...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
ABVIOaklandCA L, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt, responded to this review, October 17, 2014
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write some good things about your stay at our hotel. Our business is one in which the staff gets to know our guests, who sometimes stay with us for weeks or months and to have everyone feel comfortable at their "home away from home". We believe that building a professional, courteous, and accommodating relationship with our guests will continue to bring them back for future stays. I will be happy to let everyone know that they are delivering the guest satisfaction that we strive to provide each and every day.
I am sorry about running out of orange juice for two hours, we got our shipment on the same day it ran out. We had two large tour groups that was filling up their water bottles for the road.
Marina, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2014

I stayed at this motel with a friend on a last minute weekend trip to Oakland.
The only 2 good things about this motel is that parking was free/secure and the motel's location right next to Lake Merritt and in close proximity to downtown Oakland.
The room in itself was not too bad - except the bathroom, it was in dire need of a facelift, there were paint cracks, rust and mold everywhere.
The bathroom had only one towel, when I called the front desk to ask for another towel I was told they were out of clean towels, I could tell that the front desk attendant was embarrassed by this and was very apologetic, but there were 2 of us staying in the room who needed to shower, luckily I had an extra beach towel in my car.
I'm not sure I would stay here again, but if you are on a budget and don't mind a few inconveniences then I would say take your chance and hopefully you'll have a better experience than I did staying at this motel.

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
ABVIOaklandCA L, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt, responded to this review, October 3, 2014
I received a copy of your complaint and wanted to take the time to personally respond.
I was disheartened to hear about the negative experience that you had at this hotel. We normally put two sets of towels in every room. We did have a large convention group in town and they asked for extra set of towel all week. And we like to stock towels at the front desk when guest come in after hours. So if you came in after the big rush, we may have had no more towels at the front desk after hours
I am sorry you had issues with with us and I hope you continue to come back to stay here at this hotel.
I thank you for bringing this to my attention and I will share your review with my entire team to ensure that this experience will not repeat itself in the future. I am very grateful for the feedback that you have provided as it helps us to continually work to improve our hotel.

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt? Share your experiences!