“Disgusting” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt

Save Saved
You added Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   122 East 12th Street, Oakland, CA 94606 (Formerly Economy Inn)   |
Ranked #35 of 47 hotels in Oakland
Sacramento, California
“Disgusting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

No human should be subjected to this sub-standard , unhealthy and unsafe environment. I am astonished that the city health department permits this type of filth and that the drug and prostitution exists so openly. The total lack of management may be explained as condoning the room sales as hourly rates. The room had no hair drier, no iron or ironing board, no vanity or space for tooth brush,etc. in bathroom. The sink stopper was connected to a metal chain hanging over the back of the sink. There were bugs. The entire room was saturated with cigarette smoke and there was a burned match behind the night stand. The door frame and door did not fit, so the outside was actually inside. This place was unhealthy, unsafe, deplorable, disgusting and nasty. It was the first time I ever stayed in a Motel/Hotel that had reserved parking spaces for the city Police. REALLY !!!! Just don't stop---keep going.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
ABVIOaklandCA L, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt, responded to this review, 2 days ago
I received a copy of your review and wanted to take the time to personally respond.
I was disheartened to hear about the negative experience that you had at this hotel. We strive to make every guests experience as comfortable as possible.
Last night, the hotel was sold out and I did not get any guest complaints. Please feel free to call me to discuss your stay in detail because I really would like to make things right with you.
I thank you for bringing this to my attention and I will share your review with my entire team to ensure that this experience will not repeat itself in the future. I am very grateful for the feedback that you have provided as it helps us to continually work to improve our hotel.

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Omg! Where should I start? Not only could the front office not understand that there were two families with the same last names for the life of them, but the room looked like it was ready to be filmed for the next upcoming horror movie!
To add insult to injury the toilet was plugged and wouldn't flush! My son's room toilet also would not flush!!!! Never again!!!!

Stayed August 2014
ABVIOaklandCA L, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt, responded to this review, 1 week ago
I received a copy of your complaint and wanted to take the time to personally respond.
I did check the maintenance log and could not find any record of the toilet being reported clogged or being fixed. The room is vacant now and working properly. I am sorry if you had trouble with it while you stayed with us.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My $725 reservation for one week costed me over $1000 do to their own technicalities. Drug infested addicts and dealers. I only received room service once. Bathroom so moldy had to keep door shut to keep from baby being exposed. Broken air conditioning. And had a family of strangers walk straight in my room with their own key and invaded the privacy of my family. And when when confronted the desk, I was told if I didn't like it I could leave. I will be contacting my lawyer

• Stayed August 2014
ABVIOaklandCA L, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
I do remember talking to you yesterday before you left. The only reason why your rate change is because you only book your room for 3 nights, then came back to us later and wanted to extend your reservation. By then the rate went up and you wanted the rate you check in at on Sunday.
We did do your stay over housekeeping service. There was only one day that you put out a do not disturb sign on your door. We did not knock your door for this reason. Then later after housekeeping went home for the day, you ask if we can go back to your room. I explain that they did not do your room because of this reason. But I still sent the housekeeping supervisor back because I wanted to make sure everything gets done.

Please contact me directly should you wish to discuss this matter further.
South Pasadena, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

SCARY !!! Beware, dangerous area. Drug addicts, police raids, etc. I would hope that Trip Advisor would not have it as a hotel they even recommend on their website! Hotel staff give your room away even after you've prepaid and confirmed.

Room Tip: Run the other way. Don't even consider this hotel. Drug addicts in and out constantly. Drug n...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
This hotel does not have an issue with our guest using drugs.
I do remember talking to you on the phone. I am really sorry that we did not have a room for you. And the 3rd party website you book your stay with refunded your money.
Again, I am really sorry for being sold out and not having a room for you. We will try our best to make sure this does not happen again.
California Desert, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Lost our reservation to begin with, even though it was made on the ABV website, and this pig sty was fully booked when we arrived. Ricky was kind enough to try to sort out mess with Anri on tel (Anri was home) - we get two king rooms (222/224), needless to say the bed sheets in either room were not replaced from previous whomever...bathrooms, holy guacamole...feces still evident in toilet, shower curtain had enough mold to try a science lab experiment, little cockroach was coming out of drain to check who the new neighbors are. Next day, we are promised the 2 double (originally booked on the reservation)...when we return from redwoods late at night, they say they had no guarantee they would have it (now we have Ian at front desk) so he obliges to give us 125, says hotel was fully booked again (OMG...excrement was still in the toilet, blaaargh) - so he calls maintenance guy, who wipes the toilet with a facial towel, then leaves it there. My wife accidentally left her nightgown, we found it in the room the second day, after the fellow checked out (PROOF THAT THEY DON'T CLEAN THE ROOMS WELL OR NOT AT ALL) I cancelled the third night and booked at the Berkley ABV (which for the exception of no a/c was pretty decent, quiet, and most of all, clean. So, bottom line...Alcatraz (yes, even in its dilapidated ruin state) might be a better choice. To lose our reservation is one thing, take care of your customer and provide some sort of comp, but if your garbage dump, with pot heads and crack heads getting high in the parking lot place has nothing to offer, find another hotel in the ABV network to take us. I've been to several third-world countries where very basics were provided, but they were clean, and operated with pride, not crack-heads. AVOID AT ALL COSTS, pay 30 more and stay at the Berkley ABV if you want clean and quiet (but not too fantastic either). BULLDOZE THE PROPERTY, Americas Best Value Inn, take note of this atrociousness, absolute horror (and this is a good review, don't dare ask my wife).

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
ABVIOaklandCA L, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
I was disheartened to hear about the negative experience that you had at this hotel. We strive to make every guests experience as comfortable as possible and it is clear that we failed at our mission. I do remember talking to you from home. I did give you two king rooms for the same price has one double bed room to make up for us not receiving your reservation.
Oakland CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have stayed 2 nights at the Lake Merritt Best Value: it is very handy to the Alameda County Courthouse where i had business and a decent but pleasant walk from Caffe 817, my favorite downtown Oakland haunt run so well by Scott and Emily. The rooms have everything you need, but not everything you might want (a little skimpy on extra towels - big deal huh?). The location is great near Mi Rancho taco truck, open to 2:30 am most nights and 3:00 am weekends. Near the lovely Lake Merritt, the largest man-made lake fully contained within a city in the US. A pleasant walk from the Merritt Bakery and Restaurant and Lucky Supermarket and the always intriguing Chinatown, they do indeed do things differently in Chinatown. The price fits most budgets and is far below the market for the area. Give it a try if you are in Oakland.

Room Tip: Smile when you checkin and talk to the innkeeper...that always helps.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am glad that you found our staff to be welcoming and helpful during your visit with us. I will be sure to share your kind remarks with our team. Thank you for choosing us and we appreciate your business.
seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Spent two nights there while visiting my daughter. The shower didn't drain; the TV didn't work; the Internet didn't work. Staff didn't seem to care about these things. Sketchy clientele. Servicable, but wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
I do thank you for giving us your feedback. You will be happy to know we are currently working on re-tiling our bathroom shower area. But your drain problem was due to previous guest clogging the drain with hair. It is an common problem at any hotel and an easy fix with a snake. All of our rooms have band new flat screens TV's, and and they are all working with no issues.
I thank you for bringing this to my attention and have shared your review with my entire team to ensure that this experience will not repeat itself in the future. I am very grateful for the feedback that you have provided as it helps us to continually work to improve our hotel.

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt? Share your experiences!