“You get what you pay for. ..” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt

You added Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   122 East 12th Street, Oakland, CA 94606 (Formerly Economy Inn)   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #36 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Libertyville, Illinois, United States
“You get what you pay for. ..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

We chose to stay here because it's within walking distance from my son, daughter in law and grandson and there's free parking. Took advice of others and asked for a 2nd floor room,forgot to ask for a lake view! The bed is comfy and there's enough water to take a shower-barely!! Bathroom desperately needs serious remodeling done by someone that knows what they're doing! Unit air conditioning does work well although noisy. Continental breakfast is a joke, but good strong coffee. Manny at front desk is very sweet and helpful, not Ian.

• Stayed July 2014
ABVIOaklandCA L, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
I was disheartened to hear about the negative experience that you had at this hotel. We strive to make every guests experience as comfortable as possible and it is clear that we failed at our mission. I will have our maintenance person change out the shower head in this room. Also we have started to re-tile some of our bathrooms.
I thank you for bringing this to my attention and have shared your review with my entire team. I am very grateful for the feedback that you have provided as it helps us to continually work to improve our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Staff were helpful, breakfast with good choice of cereals was good, TV channel selection was very good, room was big and clean, bathroom was good, shower looked old and badly in need of updating but the water was got and in good supply, Lake Merrit only a block away was very pleasant and a good place to stroll, and we walked several more blocks into Chinatown for a nice dinner. No noise problems. Very near the great Oakland Museum and Laney flea market on weekends.
So, this was for us a perfectly serviceable hotel that met our needs for a great price. Just don't expect anything special or really nice. If you do you should be booking elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
ABVIOaklandCA L, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Oakland / Lake Merritt, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your clean room and the service our staff provided. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.

Management
Tallahassee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My wife and I stayed here from May 11th through the 16th, 2014. We chose this location because of it's location near my daughters apartment and our past experiences staying at ABVI locations. Unfortunately other than it's location there isn't anything I can recommend about this property. It is a block away from beautiful Lake Merritt and even though there are occasional sketchy characters in the area it is for the most part a safe area to stay.
Now to the bad stuff. This property has 2 banners up proclaiming under new management. I don't know whether the old or new management did the renovations on this property but they were very poorly executed. The rooms and bathrooms need to be gutted and do a total renovation instead of the touch ups they tried to do. They actually painted the shower stall tile (right over the broken soap dishes and towel bars) and the paint is peeling off the floor of the shower in big sheets while you shower. There are no outlets in the bathroom or dressing area which I guess explains why they don't supply the rooms with hair dryers like every other hotel we've ever stayed in. The furnishings are very dingy and need to be replaced. The first two days we returned to our rooms after sightseeing, I had to go back to the office to get my room cards reprogrammed because they no longer worked in the locks. The third and fourth day housekeeping never serviced our room and we had to wander down to the office late at night to get clean towels etc. The first night of this, the desk manager promised to bring some up to our room and had to be reminded twice before I finally went to the office and wouldn't leave until he gave me some. The second night of this I just stayed in the office until he gave me some. The breakfast bar each morning was sparse, but at least the coffee was good.
This is an inexpensive hotel and for the price I didn't expect much. But for a little more money I've stayed in nicer older hotels in the same area as this one that had better customer service.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I sincerely apologize for the issues that occurred during your stay. I am sorry that you did not find our bathrooms to be pleasing. As well, I apologize for the issues you had with our outlets. We have installed power strips in every room, so you may now use 4 extra ports. Finally, I am sorry that our service did not meet your expectations. We have a new housekeeping supervisor that goes to every room staying over to bring them fresh towels, and make sure we do a light cleaning has well. All of your feedback will be helpful as we continue to improve our guest experience. . Thank you for choosing ABVI - Oakland CA. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
Springfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

I'm giving this a "very good" rating because I think the important things, like cleanliness, friendly staff, convenience, price & a little bit of charm are important. But I acknowledge some might disagree. However, after spending over $350 in SF for not much bigger space, $75 seemed like a steal. I come to Oakland to visit family, and one of my favorite things is to run around Lake Merritt, and it is right across the street. So, the room: it kind of reminded me of staying in the Caribbean. Dated, but quaint. Clean and a bit worn. We stayed on the first floor, and parked right in front of our room - convenient. No fancy shampoo or towels - just the basics. The bed was comfortable, there was a flat screen tv, refrigerator & microwave. We rented 2 rooms - one had an old style bathtub and one a tiled shower. The staff was very friendly. If you are used to staying in a hotel where everything is new & perfect, this is not the place for you. But if you want convenience, comfort, ease, and great price, try this one out!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Background: Stayed one night while visiting family/friends in the East Bay.
Check-in/Staff: Check in was fairly smooth. Although we checked in after 3PM, there was a slight delay in checking in. They needed to make sure our room was ready.
Hotel/motel property: The property is near Lake Merritt and City Hall. The building is somewhat dated - about 50-70 years old. Although the location is OK, some of the Oakland riffraff appear to be staying there. This included (1) several rooms wreaking of marijuana, and a gentleman openly smoking a joint in his doorway; (2) a young lady with a hateful look walking very slowly in the middle of the parking lot to block your car until she's finished getting to where ever she was going; (3) food spilled in the middle of the corridor not cleaned up all evening/morning.
Room: The room was average in size, the bed was too soft and the bathroom fixtures were dated. The room included a small flat screen TV, a refrigerator and a microwave. There was a paucity of outlets in the room and no hair dryer was available. (I asked the front desk - none in the rooms and none available to borrow). Worst of all, the toilet clogged - the front desk delivered a plunger to the room to help remedy the problem.
Other amenities: The breakfast area was fine with coffee, toast, cereal & yogurt. The juice machine was either out or not functioning. The wifi in the room was very slow. Loading websites and email loaded very slowly or timed out.
Overall: Average to poor. Not bad for the price. However, the property/room conditions, cleanliness, and some of the clientele were issues.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Chose this location because it was relatively close to my sister who is dying from cancer. Room was small but clean, no wash clothes, cable went out Fri. night, was told it would not be back on til Mon. Front desk clerk was a bit unpleasant when I inquired about the cable saying that he didn't advertise rooms with cable, but rather with a tv. Then stated I couldn't look at tv without cable. I checked ad via my cell and it did state rooms had cable with HBO. Never saw HBO only ION. Left Sun. We also ran out of tissue and had to request more. Cable was restored Sat. night and fresh towels Sat. morning but they omitted hand towels. Breakfast was convenient so that was a plus. Bathroom door didn't close properly but we made due. There was open soap left in the shower from the previous occupants, but was thrown away after clean up on Sat. Curtins wouldn't close so had to put a pin it them for complete privacy. Refrigerator and microwave in room a big plus. It served its purpose.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Coppell, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

This is a tough one to review.

First the positive: This motel enjoys a great location on Lake Merritt, close to the County Court, the Cathedral of Light and other major Oakland institutions. The management is very solicitous and engaged. The bed was comfortable and there is free breakfast.

I chose this motel because it had a positive TripAdvisor review and because I wanted to start my work day (I'm on business) with a nice run around Lake Merritt (the run was great!), there is free parking and free Internet -- I planned to work all morning from my room.

Now the negatives: The motel is old and while there are some improvements (bed, desks, etc), it is very dated, The bathroom in my room (126) looked to be in near original condition and I had plumbing problems when I first used the toilet -- not a great way to start a stay, especially given that I pulled in at 10 pm. The worst part was that the wireless service simply didn't work at a level that I could work. So it's off to find a Starbucks.

The motel staff had someone in my room immediately after I complained about the toilet and they discounted my room due to the internet issue.

All in all, if you want to start your day with a run in an extremely convenient place, but don't care about a luxe travel experience, this is the place for you. Next time, I'll make sure I'm closer to the wireless router and I certainly would never stay here with my wife.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business