“Continental Breakfast HuH?” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 47 Hotels in Oakland
San Fernando, California
“Continental Breakfast HuH?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

The room was ok and the customer service was moderate ( clerk seemed that he did not want to be there) Food a stale bagel luke warm coffee. The area where they served the breakfast was smaller than my dogs kennel. I could say more but stay away..

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This was an an economical and convenient place to stay. It looks pretty old from the outside, but the rooms are spacious, and it's nice to be able to open the door and walk right out into the courtyard. The coffee at the continental breakfast was actually good, unlike most places. My only complaint was that the towels seemed cheap.

Room Tip: All of the rooms face the inner courtyard. The first-floor rooms have a door that faces the courtyar...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Grand Junction, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Some of the reviews for this place and surrounding areas really gave us a scare. But, for a quick over night stay it really was ok. Didn't see any bugs or major problems. It is definitely an older place a little run down perhaps. We stayed in room 207 and actually it was pretty quiet. The room was clean. The pool was clean although, too cool outside to use. The bed was for the most part a place to sleep. We didn't venture away from the hotel. On advise from a Chocolateer in Sonoma we ate dinner in Berkley before we went there. That was a great idea! Nice area Berkley. The day we arrived we asked if we returned our car if shuttle would pick us up from the rental place and was told that was ok, the staff arrived promptly after the call. Shuttle was great in the morning left on time 430 am sharp. No complaints at all except the people that run the front desk really could smile more, chat maybe, they are very focused on whatever is on those screens they stare at. Even the shuttle person they could smile and say "Thanks for the stay come again something". Customer relations could use a little help. But all in all not as bad as most the reviews we read or we just got real lucky and had a good stay in a clean room. Ask for this room if you stay. It passed our test with minor flaws not even worth mentioning for a one night stay. Its not the best place by far. But for a over night stay its just ok. And less than 5 minutes to the airport. Convenient. Price does reflect quality in comparison. Other places around there were VERY pricey and maybe you would feel safer there.

Room Tip: Room 207 was a good room. Clean close to front desk. No problem with noise. Eat before you go becaus...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I waited a little too late to book a room for my trip from LA to see the Oakland Raiders game and couldn't stomach paying over $400.00 for two nights at the Hilton which is right across the street. This place was clean and as quiet as you could expect on a big game weekend. The staff was friendly enough and even provided a pretty substantial continental breakfast. The best part about this place was the location, I love to hang out at the hotel bar at the Oakland Airport Hilton on Saturday night before a football game and my room here might have been closer than if I stayed at the Hilton. Overall a great stay, nice bed and bedding and worth a return trip for sure!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This hotel was the worst experience during my paradise vacation to Hawaii. Hmm why did I expect to be greeted as a customer by any of the staff working at this hotel? Not friendly at all. We were in our room 10 mins when our door was unlocked by a man, he looked in and quickly shut the door, turned out he was a staff person, no apology, no knock before unlocking our door...my sister-in-law and I were stunned to say the least. The room smelled of strong cleaner to cover up the odor of dirty carpet & drapes. The ad for a park, sleep, fly package indicates a guard and camera security. I looked at the monitor and couldn't see my car! This place was way too expensive even with the tiny continental breakfast and the total cost was not provided. I had to ask for a detailed receipt of which the staff person glared at me, questioned why, then reluctantly provided the print out. After vacation our flight landed at midnite so we stayed another night, I had to call three times for the "free" shuttle, a van with broken door & seats. We had many pieces of luggage, by then it was 1am. Our key was handed to us and the staff person walked away, no offer to assist us to our room, by the way was located in the back of the building and the overhead lighting was out. To our shock our beds were malfunctioning Sleep Number beds. Nice time in Hawaii to return home with a backache. How can the Econo Lodge corporate office allow this place to display the time honored name?

Room Tip: Construction close to all rooms. Don't allow the staff to check you into a room with a Sleep Nu...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Canton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I usually have to fly at different places for my business. I never ask for extra ordinary place to stay. But I always expect what I pay, I should get it. This place is a nice place to stay. I loved it. If you are looking for nice, clean hotel to stay in oakland area, go for it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

So, I really want to give a positive review because the staff I interacted with were all very pleasant, particularly housekeeping. Also, the Indian restaurant attached to the hotel is tasty and there's a basic free continental breakfast and a great pool that felt very safe (it's in the middle of the hotel).

However, there's just no way the room was worth the $95 a night that I paid. My bedspread and blankets had hair on them. My nonsmoking room reeked of smoke. Everything smelled, the curtains, bedding... As others have mentioned, the carpet looked like it had perhaps never been cleaned. When I complained about the smoke, the front desk said that they would have some spray some air freshener. Uh, what? News flash, air freshener doesn't get rid of smoke, but you know what does? Cleaning the carpet and curtain etc. Unsurprisingly, their strategy didn't work.

Also, the tv in my room was so blurry so that watching it for more than a few minutes gave me a headache. When I asked the front desk about it, they were very accommodating and said they'd have someone look at it and replace it if it couldn't be fixed. The very pleasant maintenance man went off to my room while I went to lunch. When I got back, I didn't notice any difference in the blurry tv.

On a positive note, the bathroom was very clean and kept well stocked and the room was quiet. The shuttle came to pick me up at the airport 16 minutes after I called and I only had to wait 20 minutes for a shuttle to take me back. But, while everyone was nice, it's just not clean or maintained well enough for my taste.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Oakland Airport? Share your experiences!