“Not as Bad as we read!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #25 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Grand Junction, Colorado
“Not as Bad as we read!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Some of the reviews for this place and surrounding areas really gave us a scare. But, for a quick over night stay it really was ok. Didn't see any bugs or major problems. It is definitely an older place a little run down perhaps. We stayed in room 207 and actually it was pretty quiet. The room was clean. The pool was clean although, too cool outside to use. The bed was for the most part a place to sleep. We didn't venture away from the hotel. On advise from a Chocolateer in Sonoma we ate dinner in Berkley before we went there. That was a great idea! Nice area Berkley. The day we arrived we asked if we returned our car if shuttle would pick us up from the rental place and was told that was ok, the staff arrived promptly after the call. Shuttle was great in the morning left on time 430 am sharp. No complaints at all except the people that run the front desk really could smile more, chat maybe, they are very focused on whatever is on those screens they stare at. Even the shuttle person they could smile and say "Thanks for the stay come again something". Customer relations could use a little help. But all in all not as bad as most the reviews we read or we just got real lucky and had a good stay in a clean room. Ask for this room if you stay. It passed our test with minor flaws not even worth mentioning for a one night stay. Its not the best place by far. But for a over night stay its just ok. And less than 5 minutes to the airport. Convenient. Price does reflect quality in comparison. Other places around there were VERY pricey and maybe you would feel safer there.

Room Tip: Room 207 was a good room. Clean close to front desk. No problem with noise. Eat before you go becaus...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I waited a little too late to book a room for my trip from LA to see the Oakland Raiders game and couldn't stomach paying over $400.00 for two nights at the Hilton which is right across the street. This place was clean and as quiet as you could expect on a big game weekend. The staff was friendly enough and even provided a pretty substantial continental breakfast. The best part about this place was the location, I love to hang out at the hotel bar at the Oakland Airport Hilton on Saturday night before a football game and my room here might have been closer than if I stayed at the Hilton. Overall a great stay, nice bed and bedding and worth a return trip for sure!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This hotel was the worst experience during my paradise vacation to Hawaii. Hmm why did I expect to be greeted as a customer by any of the staff working at this hotel? Not friendly at all. We were in our room 10 mins when our door was unlocked by a man, he looked in and quickly shut the door, turned out he was a staff person, no apology, no knock before unlocking our door...my sister-in-law and I were stunned to say the least. The room smelled of strong cleaner to cover up the odor of dirty carpet & drapes. The ad for a park, sleep, fly package indicates a guard and camera security. I looked at the monitor and couldn't see my car! This place was way too expensive even with the tiny continental breakfast and the total cost was not provided. I had to ask for a detailed receipt of which the staff person glared at me, questioned why, then reluctantly provided the print out. After vacation our flight landed at midnite so we stayed another night, I had to call three times for the "free" shuttle, a van with broken door & seats. We had many pieces of luggage, by then it was 1am. Our key was handed to us and the staff person walked away, no offer to assist us to our room, by the way was located in the back of the building and the overhead lighting was out. To our shock our beds were malfunctioning Sleep Number beds. Nice time in Hawaii to return home with a backache. How can the Econo Lodge corporate office allow this place to display the time honored name?

Room Tip: Construction close to all rooms. Don't allow the staff to check you into a room with a Sleep Nu...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Canton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I usually have to fly at different places for my business. I never ask for extra ordinary place to stay. But I always expect what I pay, I should get it. This place is a nice place to stay. I loved it. If you are looking for nice, clean hotel to stay in oakland area, go for it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

So, I really want to give a positive review because the staff I interacted with were all very pleasant, particularly housekeeping. Also, the Indian restaurant attached to the hotel is tasty and there's a basic free continental breakfast and a great pool that felt very safe (it's in the middle of the hotel).

However, there's just no way the room was worth the $95 a night that I paid. My bedspread and blankets had hair on them. My nonsmoking room reeked of smoke. Everything smelled, the curtains, bedding... As others have mentioned, the carpet looked like it had perhaps never been cleaned. When I complained about the smoke, the front desk said that they would have some spray some air freshener. Uh, what? News flash, air freshener doesn't get rid of smoke, but you know what does? Cleaning the carpet and curtain etc. Unsurprisingly, their strategy didn't work.

Also, the tv in my room was so blurry so that watching it for more than a few minutes gave me a headache. When I asked the front desk about it, they were very accommodating and said they'd have someone look at it and replace it if it couldn't be fixed. The very pleasant maintenance man went off to my room while I went to lunch. When I got back, I didn't notice any difference in the blurry tv.

On a positive note, the bathroom was very clean and kept well stocked and the room was quiet. The shuttle came to pick me up at the airport 16 minutes after I called and I only had to wait 20 minutes for a shuttle to take me back. But, while everyone was nice, it's just not clean or maintained well enough for my taste.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We wanted a place close to the airport because we had an early flight. The free shuttle running every half hour was a plus. The continental breakfast was a plus. The desk clerk was definitely not a plus. He was curt and rude. Our room was mediocre for cleanliness---filthy socks after walking on the carpeting. There was a small space between the main sleeping area and the bathroom for luggage and hanging clothes, where there was also a non-working small fridge. The problem was that the carpet was totally water-logged in that 5 or 6 feet. After you stepped in that area and then entered the bathroom, your wet feet on the tile caused you to slip and slide all over the bathroom floor. We found this out right after we got in our room and, had I not held onto the sink, I would have fallen. The desk clerk was busy checking in other late arrivals and when we told him about it, he made no comment whatsoever, and the hotel was not full by the looks of vehicles outside, but we were a late check-in, with an early flight, so we just made the best of it. I had to use the towels to soak up some of the water and keep wringing them out as the carpet was so saturated. I also used them on the bathroom floor to navigate from the commode to the doorway, so that I wouldn't fall on the wet floor, and then step again onto the saturated carpet to make my way to the bed. I had to take a towel with me to dry my feet before getting into bed. This was not easy in the dark. Never again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Ukiah, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We booked this Inn because it is close to airport, and you can leave your car in their parking lot, also they drive you to the airport. After taking a shower and walking to the bed, I looked at my
feet, holy moly, they were so dirty from walking on the bathroom floor and carpet in the bedroom area. I asked my husband to show me his feet, who took a shower before me, same think------Dirty!
Tile in bathroom is black, and carpet is very, very, dark, so hard to tell if it is clear or flithty!
Clean rooms means a lot to me, so will not go there again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Oakland Airport? Share your experiences!