“Suprisingly Good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Long Beach, California
“Suprisingly Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I waited a little too late to book a room for my trip from LA to see the Oakland Raiders game and couldn't stomach paying over $400.00 for two nights at the Hilton which is right across the street. This place was clean and as quiet as you could expect on a big game weekend. The staff was friendly enough and even provided a pretty substantial continental breakfast. The best part about this place was the location, I love to hang out at the hotel bar at the Oakland Airport Hilton on Saturday night before a football game and my room here might have been closer than if I stayed at the Hilton. Overall a great stay, nice bed and bedding and worth a return trip for sure!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This hotel was the worst experience during my paradise vacation to Hawaii. Hmm why did I expect to be greeted as a customer by any of the staff working at this hotel? Not friendly at all. We were in our room 10 mins when our door was unlocked by a man, he looked in and quickly shut the door, turned out he was a staff person, no apology, no knock before unlocking our door...my sister-in-law and I were stunned to say the least. The room smelled of strong cleaner to cover up the odor of dirty carpet & drapes. The ad for a park, sleep, fly package indicates a guard and camera security. I looked at the monitor and couldn't see my car! This place was way too expensive even with the tiny continental breakfast and the total cost was not provided. I had to ask for a detailed receipt of which the staff person glared at me, questioned why, then reluctantly provided the print out. After vacation our flight landed at midnite so we stayed another night, I had to call three times for the "free" shuttle, a van with broken door & seats. We had many pieces of luggage, by then it was 1am. Our key was handed to us and the staff person walked away, no offer to assist us to our room, by the way was located in the back of the building and the overhead lighting was out. To our shock our beds were malfunctioning Sleep Number beds. Nice time in Hawaii to return home with a backache. How can the Econo Lodge corporate office allow this place to display the time honored name?

Room Tip: Construction close to all rooms. Don't allow the staff to check you into a room with a Sleep Nu...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Canton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I usually have to fly at different places for my business. I never ask for extra ordinary place to stay. But I always expect what I pay, I should get it. This place is a nice place to stay. I loved it. If you are looking for nice, clean hotel to stay in oakland area, go for it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

So, I really want to give a positive review because the staff I interacted with were all very pleasant, particularly housekeeping. Also, the Indian restaurant attached to the hotel is tasty and there's a basic free continental breakfast and a great pool that felt very safe (it's in the middle of the hotel).

However, there's just no way the room was worth the $95 a night that I paid. My bedspread and blankets had hair on them. My nonsmoking room reeked of smoke. Everything smelled, the curtains, bedding... As others have mentioned, the carpet looked like it had perhaps never been cleaned. When I complained about the smoke, the front desk said that they would have some spray some air freshener. Uh, what? News flash, air freshener doesn't get rid of smoke, but you know what does? Cleaning the carpet and curtain etc. Unsurprisingly, their strategy didn't work.

Also, the tv in my room was so blurry so that watching it for more than a few minutes gave me a headache. When I asked the front desk about it, they were very accommodating and said they'd have someone look at it and replace it if it couldn't be fixed. The very pleasant maintenance man went off to my room while I went to lunch. When I got back, I didn't notice any difference in the blurry tv.

On a positive note, the bathroom was very clean and kept well stocked and the room was quiet. The shuttle came to pick me up at the airport 16 minutes after I called and I only had to wait 20 minutes for a shuttle to take me back. But, while everyone was nice, it's just not clean or maintained well enough for my taste.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We wanted a place close to the airport because we had an early flight. The free shuttle running every half hour was a plus. The continental breakfast was a plus. The desk clerk was definitely not a plus. He was curt and rude. Our room was mediocre for cleanliness---filthy socks after walking on the carpeting. There was a small space between the main sleeping area and the bathroom for luggage and hanging clothes, where there was also a non-working small fridge. The problem was that the carpet was totally water-logged in that 5 or 6 feet. After you stepped in that area and then entered the bathroom, your wet feet on the tile caused you to slip and slide all over the bathroom floor. We found this out right after we got in our room and, had I not held onto the sink, I would have fallen. The desk clerk was busy checking in other late arrivals and when we told him about it, he made no comment whatsoever, and the hotel was not full by the looks of vehicles outside, but we were a late check-in, with an early flight, so we just made the best of it. I had to use the towels to soak up some of the water and keep wringing them out as the carpet was so saturated. I also used them on the bathroom floor to navigate from the commode to the doorway, so that I wouldn't fall on the wet floor, and then step again onto the saturated carpet to make my way to the bed. I had to take a towel with me to dry my feet before getting into bed. This was not easy in the dark. Never again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Ukiah, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We booked this Inn because it is close to airport, and you can leave your car in their parking lot, also they drive you to the airport. After taking a shower and walking to the bed, I looked at my
feet, holy moly, they were so dirty from walking on the bathroom floor and carpet in the bedroom area. I asked my husband to show me his feet, who took a shower before me, same think------Dirty!
Tile in bathroom is black, and carpet is very, very, dark, so hard to tell if it is clear or flithty!
Clean rooms means a lot to me, so will not go there again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Davenport, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

First the facility is old not 1980's old but probably 1960's old. Outside of this place is totally run down. The inner courtyard - during my stay - was full of old equipment from the restaurant, worn out hotel room parts and stacks of other stuff. The outdoor pool area seemed functional and the landscaping did include some nice trees as well as some areas in need of modernization.

The room itself was old but clean. The bathroom floor and shower were made of black tile (which shows dirt) and SPOTLESS. The bed was an adjustable firmness mattress and not as comfortable as I would have preferred. The TV was old and had some static on a few channels but the channel offering was good.

The parking lot is secure. The shuttle service is extraordinary. They will take you anywhere in the local area to make your stay comfortable. In my case they picked me up at the rental car center, brought me back, then took me to the airport. The drivers were not talkative but very polite and cared about your experience (I was dressed for 100 degree weather in a Oakland when the temperature was 50's).

An added kicker, the Indian restaurant connected to the hotel has great food and superb prices.

Room Tip: Try for a second floor room away from the interstate
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Oakland Airport? Share your experiences!