“Smoke gets in your bed” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Washington, DC
“Smoke gets in your bed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

So, I really want to give a positive review because the staff I interacted with were all very pleasant, particularly housekeeping. Also, the Indian restaurant attached to the hotel is tasty and there's a basic free continental breakfast and a great pool that felt very safe (it's in the middle of the hotel).

However, there's just no way the room was worth the $95 a night that I paid. My bedspread and blankets had hair on them. My nonsmoking room reeked of smoke. Everything smelled, the curtains, bedding... As others have mentioned, the carpet looked like it had perhaps never been cleaned. When I complained about the smoke, the front desk said that they would have some spray some air freshener. Uh, what? News flash, air freshener doesn't get rid of smoke, but you know what does? Cleaning the carpet and curtain etc. Unsurprisingly, their strategy didn't work.

Also, the tv in my room was so blurry so that watching it for more than a few minutes gave me a headache. When I asked the front desk about it, they were very accommodating and said they'd have someone look at it and replace it if it couldn't be fixed. The very pleasant maintenance man went off to my room while I went to lunch. When I got back, I didn't notice any difference in the blurry tv.

On a positive note, the bathroom was very clean and kept well stocked and the room was quiet. The shuttle came to pick me up at the airport 16 minutes after I called and I only had to wait 20 minutes for a shuttle to take me back. But, while everyone was nice, it's just not clean or maintained well enough for my taste.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We wanted a place close to the airport because we had an early flight. The free shuttle running every half hour was a plus. The continental breakfast was a plus. The desk clerk was definitely not a plus. He was curt and rude. Our room was mediocre for cleanliness---filthy socks after walking on the carpeting. There was a small space between the main sleeping area and the bathroom for luggage and hanging clothes, where there was also a non-working small fridge. The problem was that the carpet was totally water-logged in that 5 or 6 feet. After you stepped in that area and then entered the bathroom, your wet feet on the tile caused you to slip and slide all over the bathroom floor. We found this out right after we got in our room and, had I not held onto the sink, I would have fallen. The desk clerk was busy checking in other late arrivals and when we told him about it, he made no comment whatsoever, and the hotel was not full by the looks of vehicles outside, but we were a late check-in, with an early flight, so we just made the best of it. I had to use the towels to soak up some of the water and keep wringing them out as the carpet was so saturated. I also used them on the bathroom floor to navigate from the commode to the doorway, so that I wouldn't fall on the wet floor, and then step again onto the saturated carpet to make my way to the bed. I had to take a towel with me to dry my feet before getting into bed. This was not easy in the dark. Never again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Ukiah, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We booked this Inn because it is close to airport, and you can leave your car in their parking lot, also they drive you to the airport. After taking a shower and walking to the bed, I looked at my
feet, holy moly, they were so dirty from walking on the bathroom floor and carpet in the bedroom area. I asked my husband to show me his feet, who took a shower before me, same think------Dirty!
Tile in bathroom is black, and carpet is very, very, dark, so hard to tell if it is clear or flithty!
Clean rooms means a lot to me, so will not go there again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Davenport, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

First the facility is old not 1980's old but probably 1960's old. Outside of this place is totally run down. The inner courtyard - during my stay - was full of old equipment from the restaurant, worn out hotel room parts and stacks of other stuff. The outdoor pool area seemed functional and the landscaping did include some nice trees as well as some areas in need of modernization.

The room itself was old but clean. The bathroom floor and shower were made of black tile (which shows dirt) and SPOTLESS. The bed was an adjustable firmness mattress and not as comfortable as I would have preferred. The TV was old and had some static on a few channels but the channel offering was good.

The parking lot is secure. The shuttle service is extraordinary. They will take you anywhere in the local area to make your stay comfortable. In my case they picked me up at the rental car center, brought me back, then took me to the airport. The drivers were not talkative but very polite and cared about your experience (I was dressed for 100 degree weather in a Oakland when the temperature was 50's).

An added kicker, the Indian restaurant connected to the hotel has great food and superb prices.

Room Tip: Try for a second floor room away from the interstate
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
San Leandro, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

this is my first hotel review, so apology in advance if I miss out on certain bits. This hotel was referred to me by a close friend, he said John it might be a good idea to find a park and fly hotel near the oakland airport. Find a hotel that will allow you to park your car, fly out, fly back in, get your car and go. No need to wait on people taking you from place to place and no need to worry about missing your flight. I said you know your right. This hotel has a great park and fly option, my car was in the same condition when I returned, shuttle was on time, no the rooms were decent, no complaints, worked well in my case.

Room Tip: plan well, rest well, before a flight
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
San Leandro, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Its a suprise to see all the negative reviews for this place. I guess it was a good thing I booked the room before reading all these reviews. I know this is not a five star hotel so I do not expect a five star experience, but the staff was extremely helpful, they provided me a shuttle to bart station which I used to get to San Francisco, they provided me free maps, suggestions on restaurants and activities, direction, and a early checkin. That right there was not expected. From the street view you would never expect such a nice place. Yes the building looks a little older maybe built in the 80s or 90s, but the landscaping was beatiful, rooms were big and clean, and what I never seen at a two star hotel before was a pond with big trees, bamboo, a waterfall, and turtles, no fish though. But o well, I was please with my stay and experience, great value.

Room Tip: Never had Indian food before, but it was pretty good
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Nuenen, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

We booked this place for one night before we catch the plane back home. The man at the reception was very unfriendly, bored and unhelpful. The room was ok, but not cleaned properly (no smoking room, but on the balcony there was an ashtray full of sigarets from the previous guests.) if you leave the window open you can smell the fuel of the airplanes. I would not recomend this place. The adjustable air matresses are really terrible. And there is a construction site next door, the workers start working at 7 am , so it is very noisy in the morning.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Oakland Airport? Share your experiences!