“"Great Jazz Venue!"” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Fresno, California
“"Great Jazz Venue!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My daughter and I saw the 10:00 p.m. Poncho Sanchez Latin Jazz Band show at this venue on March 15. This was my third show at Yoshi's Oakand, having seen Earl Klugh and David Sanborn here last November. Yoshi's does bring the best of the best in contemporary jazz to Oakland and San Francisco and I'll keep coming up for Fresno for this reason, thus the "Excellent" rating. However, this was my first time having dinner at the restaurant before the show. I had made reservations for 8:00 p.m. and arrived there just before that time and was seated right away. We were even asked if we'd like a window table for the view and of course, we did. We ordered the brussels sprouts appetizer, which were good and the miso soup as a stater before the entree. The miso was very flavorful. For the entrees, I had the pork chop with fingerling potatoes and veggies and my daughter had the lobster tail with kale and it was suggested by the server that she might want to order a starch to help round out her meal as her portions might not be enough. She ordered a side of brown rice and shared it with me. The food tasted okay-- it wasn't bad nor was it something to rave about. I was surprised that both entrees were the same price. I've never known a pork chop to cost the same as a lobster tail and for the price, I expected my pork chop to be something spectacular and it wasn't. But the restaurant was an experience to try at least once. The service was great I might add.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Pacifica, California
“Good Food, Nice Venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We ate here before the show. We had the spicy, crunchy Hamachi roll, excellent! The rainbow roll was good. I had the pomegranate martini and my husband had the pineapple rum specialty drink, both were great. My husbands lobster tail was OK - the portion was a bit small and it was a little chewy. The toffee cake was awesome. The waitress was attentive and friendly and everything was served promptly. Yoshi's determines where you sit to view the show on a first come first serve basis. Your waitress brings you your seating info as you are eating dinner. They also validate parking (10% off). Our seating was OK (not a bad seat in the house) and our dinner reservations were an hour before the show.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Great Venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I saw Doctor John here recentley, it was a great venue, with great food, excellent location, can get close to there on BART, and take cab or walk several blocks. Oaklands not as bad as one thinks as far as safety and security. Id you get off the BART at 12th street, you can walk to 11th street where there's a Hotel, and there's a line of cabs there, also there a free shuttle from downtown Oakland to Jack London Square as well

Have fun!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jemez Springs, New Mexico
“Nice Japanese on Jack London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Very fine service and quite good food. The sake list was top notch. Fish very fresh. Bad neighborhood just a block away though, so be careful

Visited January 2013
Yuba City
“phenomenal food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This restaurant if fantastic. We had the most amazing dinner. I'm kind of a picky eater and I haven't had food this good in a long time. Everything we ordered was amazing - I wouldn't have changed a single thing. And, our waitress was the best. She was friend, attentive and knowledgeable about the food. I highly recommend eating at Yoshi's if you are in the area. You will be doing yourself a disservice by not trying this restaurant. Just writing about it makes me want to go back for dinner again.

• Visited December 2012