“Great music, average food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
California
“Great music, average food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I've been going to Yoshi’s for shows for about 12 years now, and I must say it has changed (or shall I saw evolved) with the times.

The sound system in the venue is fantastic! Much better than the one in San Francisco. It is intimate and there is no bad seat in the house (well, maybe the seats right in front of the stage, but I don't like looking up at someone for an hour and a half).

The food is just OK. I've learned how to eat there without putting a huge dent in my wallet (hint, stick with the appetizers, which aren't half bad).

My only negative comment about Yoshi’s is the change in how one gets a seat. I used to not have a difficult time finding a seat when it was first come, first served; however, since they switched to the either: pay $13 more to select your seat or pay $23 more to dine at the restaurant to guarantee a seat, I find it more of a challenge.

But, like I said in the beginning, Yoshi’s had to evolve in this economic climate, so I will have to suck it up and either pay the extra money or be stuck looking for a seat the night of the show!

One last thing, I've suggested they bring in two artists -- and they have! I appreciate them listening to customers suggestions.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars

San Ramon, California
“Great restaurant and music”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I've been going to Yoshi's Oakland for years! The Japanese restaurant is always fabulous and the jazz is very good in a nice atmosphere.

Visited October 2012
Oakland, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Entertainment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

It is a little pricey. Japanese food is always a little pricey. We always eat dinner here before the concert. The concert seating is first come first serve. Every seat in the house is a great seat. It is a very intimate setting. Every show is fantastic. We have seen Ledisi, Chris Botti, Hiroshima, Michael Franks, etc...

Visited September 2012
Germantown, Maryland
“Great sushi, fabulous atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The miso soup was delicious, as was the Yoshi roll and the Rock & Roll. The jazz was a relaxing way to relax and enjoy my meal. Finally, try the special drinks (the Pumpkin vodka martini was fabulous!)

• Visited October 2012
“Yoshis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Great food and great jazz. The venue is small and intimate, and the sushi is excellent. Ive been for work and pleasure; consistently satisfied.

Visited November 2011