“Great food and great view” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Oakland, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food and great view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've been to Zza's twice recently - drawn back by the Linguine Soffrito and the Pork and Beef Ragu. Both excellent -- although you should believe the waiter when he tells you that the linguine is spicy. The ragu is excellent, served with wide soft noodles and junks of shredded meat. The bread is chewy and tasty. I've gone at night and sat by the window -- lovely view of the necklace of lights around Lake Merritt.

• Visited January 2013

Oakland, California
“Excellent food & a great view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We hadn't been to Zza's in a while, and we're very pleased that it's just as good as ever. I had pasta carbonara and it was luscious. My friend had Linguine Soffrito (tiger prawns, roasted garlic, calabrian chiles, parsley lemon zest) and loved it. Service was friendly and fast. You can eat outside and enjoy a beautiful view of Lake Merritt, a crown jewel of Oakland. We are members of the Oakland Museum of California, so they gave us a 10% discount.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank OakJohn94602
“Excellent place by the lake”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We visited on a saturday when they were having an oyster brunch. The sangria was excellent, as were the oysters. My wife had the shrimp and pancetta pizza and it was top notch. Every wine suggested paired perfectly with our food. Definitely would come back.

• Visited July 2011
SF Bay area
“ok but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

food was ok but not really good. bruschetta was too bready. wine list was ok. decor but somewhat dingy

• Visited June 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars
San Francisco
“Food is uneven”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

I was considering using Zza's Trattoria as a meeting place for dinner with a group of friends from high school days and decided to preview it by having dinner with a friend as I hadn't been there in quite some time. The first thing I noticed is the ambience is looking a bit shabby. Many of the chairs have ripped uphostery and the walls are painted a drab, dark color. I ordered a shrimp pizza which was divine. Thin crust ,tasty sauce and fresh shrimp. However, my friend ordered the roasted chicken and left most of it on her
plate. I tasted a bite and it was dry and tasteless. Two other restaurants in the neighborhood were packed with people while Zza's only had a smattering of folks. It is too bad that I had to decide not to use Zza's for our get-together as I have good memories of the restaurant from the past.

• Visited August 2011