“Making me look good...” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Cambodian, Contemporary
San Leandro, California
“Making me look good...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

So, when some friends from out of town asked where we should eat near Jack London Square, my mind went immediately to Battambang. It was a tough sell, because there were other restaurants closer, one gentleman is a "steak and potatoes guy" and neither of the other two have ever tried Cambodian food. With a little negotiating, I convinced them to try it, and I looked like the hero! Even Mr. Steak and Potatoes was excited when we left. We ordered the green papaya salad, the imperial rolls, the lamb chops (better than in New Zealand according to one friend), the fish in lemongrass sauce, the spinach noodles, the fried banana w/ice cream and the sticky rice. We cleaned every plate and even ordered a second lamb dish! No, the service isn't speedy, but it shouldn't be for food with this much flavor. I was glad when my friends said they will definitely want to come here next time they are in town, because that means I get to go again! (Okay, I can go any time, but it's fun to introduce others to this delicious restaurant) The restaurant is small and homey, the service was unrushed and friendly, every dish was presented beautifully, and most importantly....every dish was delicious!

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Real authenic cambodian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012 via mobile

Must have is their chicken kabobs over rice,green papaya salad and their country land beer. Place is a little dim but its ok no one will attack you. Its located on broadway between 8th/9th st you might miss it if you're not paying attention.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Best Cambodian EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

Excuse the old carpet and stereotypical Asian restaurant decor and dig in to a wonderful meal. We grazed through most of the menu on three separate visits over 5 days and were thrilled with a papaya salad, fresh coconut water, tasty curries, and a jack-fruit/coconut milk custard that was the best desert ever to grace my tongue. The staff was prompt and helpful. A great experience and I highly recommend.

Visited January 2012
Los Osos, California
“Amazing food, inexpensive prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Batta Bong offers the best value in south Asian food I know. The streetside appearance is unassuming, but this small Cambodian restaurant is clean, pretty, and welcoming once you enter. Extensive menu and excellent service when the restaurant isn't too busy. Almost everything on the menu is priced between $8—15. Don't make the mistake of ordering more than one dish per person. Portions are very large. My calamari with mushrooms, peppers, spring onions and basil in a brown curry sauce would easily have served two people and was perfectly cooked. It came with a tub of steamed rice that might have served four. Total cost: $12.25.

• Visited October 2011
California
“Delicious food, great service, casual, fun and dependable Cambodian cuisine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Battambang is one of my dependable stand-by Oakland restaurants. I can always depend on a great meal, friendly service, and, did I say fantastic food?! It is a favorite place with nice but nothing-fancy decor, warm atmosphere, and stellar performance on all other accounts. I love places that are not fancy but deliver what really matters - great food. The flavors of the Cambodian food are wonderful. Battambang has earned a Michelin recommendation for the last two years (2010, 2011, maybe more) too, which is quite a feat! The owner is a very friendly woman that remembers me all the time and I have brought many friends there too. The dishes I get that are "to die for" are 1) Crab fried rice, 2) a flash fried head-on prawn dish and 3) grilled chicken or pork. I've enjoyed other dishes too, and leave room for the mango/sticky rice in the summer. You cannot go wrong with Battambang! A gem in downtown Oakland.

• Visited August 2011