“Great Neighborhood Spot!” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children
Oakland, CA
“Great Neighborhood Spot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I LOVE Phnom Penh! They have two locations in Oakland, and this review is for the one on 3912 MacArthur Blvd., in the Laurel District. My wife and I have eaten here many times and it's consistently good. It's a family run, Cambodian restaurant, and the owner always welcomes me by name. We love the poached salmon with roasted garlic, basil, and black mushrooms. Have the Cha Kathiw their version of pad thai. We also like the charbroiled pork with lemongrass and house
sauce. Prices are very reasonable, you'll keep coming back...

• Visited December 2012

81% Recommend
Upper Left Coast
“If you find yourself in Oakland, try Cambodian!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Came here with a group of friends getting ready for Springsteen at the Oracle Arena. I think we made it a louder place than it usually must be.

The menu list is staggering - categories organized into three-digit numbers for each dish. Lots of curries, mint and pineapple choices. The service was attentive and efficient - which was nice when we were already late for the scheduled start of the show (we made it). I would go again in a heartbeat if, 1. I found myself in downtown Oakland, and 2. I had a larger group to share the menu with!

• Visited November 2012
Pennsauken, New Jersey
“Best Little Restaurant in Oakland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The first time that I ever went there was in 1993, and I never miss a chance to eat there whenever I am in Oakland (which fortunately is several times a year). The family who runs it is tremendously nice. Even though I live in the Philly area, whenever I walk into Phnom Penh House, I feel like I'm one of the regulars. The owners know my colleague and I so well that they even remember our favorite dishes after a few months absence. Speaking of which, the food is simply delicious. The pan-fried noodles with chili sauce (Cha Kathiw) are to die for; the eggplant stuffed with pork (Traop Ang) is a wonderful blend of sweet and savory flavors; and last but not least, the charbroiled chicken (Moarn Ang Kreun) is magnificent! My colleague always insists on getting these three dishes to share, and I never complain, although when I've gone there alone, I always try something new -- stuffed chicken wings (Slaap Moarn Borg) were excellent!

The original on 8th Street is on the edge of Chinatown in a sketchy neighborhood, but I've gone there many times for lunch and dinner and have even walked from the Convention Center at night without incident (Disclosure: I'm a 6-foot, 190 lb. man). They also have a relatively new location in Alameda that is a bit nicer in decor, but has the same menu. I can't vouch whether it is authentic, but I love this place! The prices are right, too! My three favorite dishes (mentioned above) are plenty enough to feed two adults for dinner, and all for less than $30 (not including tip, or beverages). Hands down, one of my favorite restaurants in the U.S.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oakland, California
“My favorite restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We had a good time at this restaurant ,.... everything are perfect ..me and my friends always think about sour soup at that restaurant when we have free time..

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oakland CA
“Our All-Time Favorite Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

If you come to Oakland, you have to fit in a visit to Phnom Penh. We've been coming here for easily 20 years and the food is consistently wonderful. We've taken all of our friends here at one time or another and they all agree. We don't know the Cambodian names for the food or the numbers on the menu, but we ask for "noodle prawn," "beef on a stick," "barbecued chicken" and "red snapper." Or just ask for what John and Virginia always order.

• Visited May 2012