“Everything great” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 47 hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Everything great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

The only reason I paused at all before rating this hotel 5 stars (which I eventually did) was the location. On the plus side, it's situated right on the bay, great view of the sunset. On the minus the front is on the hwy in an industrial district.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

265 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

So i had to be in San Francisco for a conference at Moscone center and didn't want to shill out $300 plus for a hotel and looked for a place on the Bart line (train) within reasonable distance and i have done this before many times so after reading the reviews that raved for this hotel and its ease of transportation to the city, decided to give it and a try and am verry sorry about it......

The Good:
very nice property, rooms are spacious, bed is comfy, nice big bathroom, there is a nice restaurant/pub within walking distance (Quinn's lighthouse), there is a small fridge and micro in the room and they have an average breakfast for these types of hotels and a shuttle that will drop you off and pick you up from the train station and other local places you need to go in oakland (if you need..)

The BAD and this is really bad...

Location is horrible, I did not feel safe the whole time, the area is an industrial area, right off the freeway, the train station is frightening, with tons of homeless people lurking around and bugging you, and there is always a very unpleasant wait of about 10 - 15 minutes for the shuttle to show up and it feels very unsafe, a friend got spit on by one of the beggars when he refused to give him money. The train ride which is another 15 minutes of unpleasant ride from the city for the same reasons especially if you need to travel early or late (like i did for meetings in the city) i ended up taking a taxi twice which is an extra $60 ride from the city and the taxi driver looked at me and said to oakland? what are you doing there and filled me in that it is a high crime rate city...

I really cant understand the people who stayed here with their children and travelled into the city as a cheaper alternative. I would never have brought my children here! True it was cheaper by about $120 - 150 from downtown hotels but not worth it, pay the extra money for a downtown hotel.

my bottom line, is give this place a pass, i will never stay here again even though it is a nice property, if you are a martial arts expert or feel extremely brave go ahead, its simply not for me.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MHochstatter, General Manager at Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Eagle 132
Thank you for your review and your good comments about the hotel. Our staff work very hard to meet and exceed your expectations. It sounds like your experience with BART and the Lake Merritt station was not good and we apologize for that. Just want to separate the two because our hotel is just off the freeway on the Embarcadero and we have an incredible water view. As the other reviews have said, most guests forget they're in the city.
Urban environments all have their challenges. SF, Berkeley and all major city are can have similar issues.
Your initial premise is correct and you can receive significant value from our property compared to SF hotels. Another way to get into SF is the Ferry and it’s a wonderful experience. Don't give up on us quite yet
Wailuku
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We could not get a hotel in SF due to America's Cup and had to get a hotel in the East Bay. I sure am glad we picked Best Western Plus Bayside. It was a girls trip to celebrate a birthday. The front desk was accommodating and very courteous. Charles was helpful at check out and got 2 vans to take us back to the airport all at the same time. Our shuttle drivers Ian and Julio was tooo cute and very knowledge and personable. Paid for an upgrade to get the bay view.
Breakfast was great. Great 1st trip to the East Bay, took the BART, the shuttle picked us up at the station, we were also dropped off at Jack London Square and took a ferry into the city.
check this place out, the reviews are accurate! you won't be disappointed! The rooms were HUGE:-) I have always stayed in the city, after this trip I may consider going back to OAK.

Room Tip: take a bay view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed here when we were attending a football game at Cal -Berkeley . Ease of travel to the Berkeley campus was of prime importance . The staff were very informative about getting to and from Berkeley using BART and provided transportation to and from a nearby BART station . It would be equally easy to take BART to San Francisco..Parking was free ,of course , which would not be the case in many closer hotels .
The rooms and bath were spacious with nice furniture , comfy beds and a small refrigerator .A complimentary bottle of water was provided each day . Breakfast was included and offered eggs , fruit , juice , waffles , etc. The breakfast /lobby area looked out on a scenic waterway with Alameda on the other side . There was seating outside as well.
It was a real value and met our needs for our purpose .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was going to San Francisco for a wedding and looked up hotels on Trip Advisor and this hotel came up with great reviews and was rated number 1. It was really worth it and we got a great price to. Definitely agree with some reviews in that the bayside is quieter (my brother got a room upgrade to that side) I had the freeway side and it was a bit noisy but nothing too extreme however we went during Sept 4 -Sept 11 and they are working on the freeway at night so the construction is a bit noisy. The breakfast was perfect for us nothing fancy but a great variety and always offered something hot which hit the spot before we ventured out for the day. The complimentary expresso machine is also available for coffee or tea at any time in the lobby. Very clean room and great front desk staff, I did'nt realize that I had to book quite in advance for the Alcatraz tour but luckily Ricky at the front dest was able to find me tickets on the last day of our trip. Our room had a microwave and a refrigerator which was very handy.We rented a car and the hotel had free parking, the hotel is also close to the BART station. Definitely would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Recommend staying on the Bayside of the hotel we were on the 3rd floor and it had a laundry on that...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Gilroy, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I am was able to get partially compensated for some of my two nights stay in this hotel as a per diem cost for presenting at a conference. As an educator, I don't usually stay at places as fabulous as this hotel was but figured with the extra funds I would see what it's like to live in style. My husband and I loved it here.

However, even more wonderful time and our good night's sleep was the help I received from their reservation desk. U needed to file an expense account nine months after we stayed and I needed to provide receipt to show I actually stayed in a hotel. This is when I realized I did not have an electronic or any copy of the receipt. Thank goodness that Roberto helped me, he quickly located and emailed me a copy of my old receipt--even though my name had been misspelled and the hotel had changed hands. So glad we stayed at this first class hotel, They are so good they even take care of you long after living in the lap of luxury is just a memory. While the stay was worth every penny we paid, it's nice to be able to prove I used funds I was given so I may get a portion back.

Room Tip: ask at the desk, I recall the clerk letting us know some rooms were quieter than others.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed here for 4 days and 3 nights. We loved every minute of it! The staff was beyond helpful. We used the hotel's van to travel around the city several times. The drivers were all amazing. We have no complaints about our stay at the Hotel. The room was HUGE and clean! The food was delicious. And the breakfasts were switched up, so we never had the same breakfast two days in a row. I loved the fact that there was FRESH coffee (and hot cocoa) available throughout the day. My son LOVED the pool - although we did have to walk to the sister hotel next door. We definitely would stay here again. It felt like home!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel? Share your experiences!