“Rough location, great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Save up to 20%
Ranked #1 of 47 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Salem, United States
“Rough location, great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Lovely hotel and a great value! Just be prepared for 1/2 hour or more commute over Bay Bridge to SF if that's where you're headed. If you're traveling north from Oakland, no worries and worth the stay.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Absolutely loved this hotel! Our room was huge and tastefully furnished. It included amenities such as a whirlpool bathtub, microwave, flatscreen TV, refrigerator, and a bay view, with a sliding glass door and a patio area with chairs. We had a king bed as well as couch and upholstered chair and coffee table. The lobby and breakfast area were open and airy with a nice view of the water. There was a coffee machine available in the lobby 24 hours a day that dispensed good espresso, cappuccino, coffee, hot chocolate etc. with an option for decaf. The front desk clerks were very friendly and helpful. Everything was updated. I enjoyed walking along the water in the morning. It was close to the freeway, but was quiet. Great location in Oakland

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Highly recommend this hotel. Rooms are spacious (3 of us were very comfortable with king bed and sofabed), everything was spotless, and staff were all friendly and helpful. Breakfast has lots of choices--not gourmet but just fine to start the day. Room had an enormous bathtub, which was welcome after long days of sightseeing. We were on top floor, facing the estuary and room was very quiet and the view from the balcony was lovely.

Access to Oakland and Alameda and SF was easy--drove to Lake Merritt BART station and got to Embarcadero in SF in about 15 minutes--and free parking on weekend at the BART stop. We didn't take the ferry but that would have been simple as well. And don't miss Alameda--we ate at a fabuous Burmese restaurant and had wonderful ice cream at Tudker's.

All in all, this hotel is terrific and provides great access to lots of fun things to see and do. We would definitely come back (and we might on our way back from Oregon later this week).

A special shout-out to Samantha at the front desk, who put up with our request to view several rooms before deciding on one with great patience and kindness. Thank you, Samantha!

Room Tip: Room facing estuary would be quieter than rooms facing the highway.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Excellent alternative to SF and easy access to all the city offers. Take the ferry. The hotel will drop u at the dock. BART back and they'll pick you up! Great staff, clean spacious rooms and a deli pus breakfast. Try Oakland specifically this hotel. Ill be back!

• Stayed August 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We came to visit San Francisco but the hotel prices were too high. Oakland was a good alternative. We were supposed to have been Given a room at the executive Inn but for some reason they gave us a room in bayside best Western. I don't know what the rooms in the executive Inn looked like but this one was great!

• Stayed August 2013
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times but as The Executive Inn, before Best Western took it over. It used to be one hotel but for some reason The Executive Inn decided to sell one building to Best Western. And the building they sold is the newer building with much nicer rooms than the original building. My last stay there was late in '12, when I called to book a room and inquired about a room in the newer building, I was told I would be transferred to the Best Western, I didn't understand, the agent assumed I knew that building was now a Best Western. So I was transferred and asked about the rates and I was surprised that the rates were much higher than I have ever paid while this hotel was the Executive Inn and it has nothing to do with occupancy, time of year etc. as I was told. I've stayed at the Executive Inn in that building on holiday weekends, during the summer, winter and fall. I've never paid anything near the $230/nt I was quoted and I've always stayed in the Waterview deluxe king room, their nicest and biggest rooms. I've never paid more than $160/nt. I love the hotel but it is in Oakland, just on the other side of the Executive Inn building is a nasty Motel 6, known as a hooker spot. I actually saw that hotel featured on a MSNBC documentary on prostitution and right across the bridge from the hotel is the worst part of Oakland! Like I said, I love that hotel but considering my previous statement, there is no way I'm paying that amount when I can get a room on the water in Oakland, SF or anywhere in the Bay Area for cheaper. I'm looking online and see several properties....Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt and Sheraton hotels with cheaper rates. The Oakland Marriott, just about 5 minutes from this hotel currently has a 129/nt special going on for the same weekend I want to book, I guess I'll stay there, if I get lucky I'll have an unobstructed view of SF too and will probably be able to upgrade to a suite and still come out paying less. I always thought about staying there but the rates at the Executive Inn kept me coming back there, oh well.......

Room Tip: Look at other properties before booking this hotel.
Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MHochstatter, General Manager at Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Dac007
Thank you for your patronage over the past years. We hope that you will reconsider and stay with us again. Please look closely and you'll see that not only do we provide a superior room accomodation and an unmatched view of the water, we work very hard to provide excellent service. Furthermore, our value is unmatched in the area. Our rates include Free Parking, Free Internet, Free Breakfast and our much talked about Shuttle Service. These extra costs can rapidly add up.
And now as a Best Western we can offer you Reward Points. Also, if you carry another hotel's reward program we can match your status immediately at our Front Desk.
We hope to see you again real soon.
Port Byron, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We chose this hotel based on the reviews and the cost. We were not disappointed! We arrived a bit early and Cameron made sure we were able to check in and was able to upgrade us to a beautiful King size room, and they mean king size! Our room was also on the water, which we were able to enjoy in the morning with our coffee.
The breakfast was very good. They had a hot item everyday, pastries, waffles, and plenty of cereal, toast, etc.
Doris was our shuttle driver, and she was great! She made you happy with her fun personality and laughter. On our day of departure we were lucky enough to get Doris again, and she took us to a closer Bart location which made it so we did not have to transfer since we were flying out of SFO. That was so helpful to these two rookies!
Great hotel, great staff means great vacation!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel? Share your experiences!