“Love this hotel but will never stay there again” 4 of 5 stars

Earn a $50 Gift Card
Ranked #1 of 48 hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Love this hotel but will never stay there again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times but as The Executive Inn, before Best Western took it over. It used to be one hotel but for some reason The Executive Inn decided to sell one building to Best Western. And the building they sold is the newer building with much nicer rooms than the original building. My last stay there was late in '12, when I called to book a room and inquired about a room in the newer building, I was told I would be transferred to the Best Western, I didn't understand, the agent assumed I knew that building was now a Best Western. So I was transferred and asked about the rates and I was surprised that the rates were much higher than I have ever paid while this hotel was the Executive Inn and it has nothing to do with occupancy, time of year etc. as I was told. I've stayed at the Executive Inn in that building on holiday weekends, during the summer, winter and fall. I've never paid anything near the $230/nt I was quoted and I've always stayed in the Waterview deluxe king room, their nicest and biggest rooms. I've never paid more than $160/nt. I love the hotel but it is in Oakland, just on the other side of the Executive Inn building is a nasty Motel 6, known as a hooker spot. I actually saw that hotel featured on a MSNBC documentary on prostitution and right across the bridge from the hotel is the worst part of Oakland! Like I said, I love that hotel but considering my previous statement, there is no way I'm paying that amount when I can get a room on the water in Oakland, SF or anywhere in the Bay Area for cheaper. I'm looking online and see several properties....Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt and Sheraton hotels with cheaper rates. The Oakland Marriott, just about 5 minutes from this hotel currently has a 129/nt special going on for the same weekend I want to book, I guess I'll stay there, if I get lucky I'll have an unobstructed view of SF too and will probably be able to upgrade to a suite and still come out paying less. I always thought about staying there but the rates at the Executive Inn kept me coming back there, oh well.......

Room Tip: Look at other properties before booking this hotel.
Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MHochstatter, General Manager at Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Dac007
Thank you for your patronage over the past years. We hope that you will reconsider and stay with us again. Please look closely and you'll see that not only do we provide a superior room accomodation and an unmatched view of the water, we work very hard to provide excellent service. Furthermore, our value is unmatched in the area. Our rates include Free Parking, Free Internet, Free Breakfast and our much talked about Shuttle Service. These extra costs can rapidly add up.
And now as a Best Western we can offer you Reward Points. Also, if you carry another hotel's reward program we can match your status immediately at our Front Desk.
We hope to see you again real soon.

205 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Port Byron, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We chose this hotel based on the reviews and the cost. We were not disappointed! We arrived a bit early and Cameron made sure we were able to check in and was able to upgrade us to a beautiful King size room, and they mean king size! Our room was also on the water, which we were able to enjoy in the morning with our coffee.
The breakfast was very good. They had a hot item everyday, pastries, waffles, and plenty of cereal, toast, etc.
Doris was our shuttle driver, and she was great! She made you happy with her fun personality and laughter. On our day of departure we were lucky enough to get Doris again, and she took us to a closer Bart location which made it so we did not have to transfer since we were flying out of SFO. That was so helpful to these two rookies!
Great hotel, great staff means great vacation!

Port Byron, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

It was such a surprise to check and find such a beautiful hotel on arrival. The shuttle service is a big plus! We were lucky enough to stay here for several days, and I am glad we did so we could enjoy our room. Also Doris our shuttle driver was just great! She was so cheerful, both times she drove us. You could not start off in a bad mood with Doris driving you in the morning to start your day! Then on our way out of town, she took us to a better location to get on the Bart to fly to SFO. By doing this we did have to make a transfer.....big help for these rookies! Would stay again for sure, good job Best Western!

Murrieta, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

pros:
View, included breakfast, room size, free parking, free wi-fi, fitness center, coffee machine, and customer service.

con:
No security in parking lot which allowed occasional panhandlers to accost

Stayed here with family for 4 days. During our stay we really enjoyed the view, breakfasts, and the fitness center.

Special shout out to Jessika at the front desk. She was very kind, accommodating, and her customer service was top notch.

We really enjoyed and appreciated our breakfasts every morning. As a family with 2 and a 4 year old, it really was convenient to wake up, eat, then enjoy the rest of the day doing what you want to do. Plus, breakfast was more than decent, and you get to enjoy it with a great view.

My only gripe is the occasional panhandling in the parking lot... I definitely would not want my wife to go out at night to get something from the car... But overall, this hotel is a great deal, and we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: ask to stay on the top floor with a view - fantastic view of the Oakland Estuary.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Presto,
Thank you very much for your kind review and comments about our staff. Jesika and the entire team really enjoy hearing that they were able to make a difference with your time here in Oakland.
Regarding security we DO have security every night. They patrol both buildings and walk our parking lot. Next visit say hello to Victoria and Charles. We have also recently install cameras to help discourage any unwanted visitors. Additionally, we have an excellent relationship with our Police and Sheriffs of the area. As you know, panhandlers are an issue in nearly every majoy city. We are working closely with law enforcement and our political leaders. Thankfully we don't have many in our area.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

When you walk through the front door, you know you are in a special place. It is spacious, comfortable and has a fantastic view of the Oakland Estuary. We had King size bed in a beautifully appointed room on the second floor with a balcony overlooking the water. The complimentary breakfast included a hot entree and all of the staff were welcoming and friendly. We were close to Jack London Square, a Bart stop and the airport.

Atascadero, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I had a most enjoyable stay at this wonderful property. Sam was very kind and Jay the Front Office Manager was amazing! He was friendly and very willing to help me with my plans for the day I was there. The hotel itself is beautiful! It's only been a Best Western for 5 months and they have done such a great job with it. It's clean and the location is great and safe. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

DanielSalesManager, Manager at Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you Robin for complimenting the service of two of our team member. Jay and Sam are always there to make your stay an unforgettable experience, and we are very proud to have people like them working for the hotel. Customer service is our main priority and I am glad our hard work is showing.
Overton, Hampshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for the first 3 nights of our trip to California (we're going to drive the PCH to San Diego)... We flew in from England on Friday & are just having our last night here now! Although we had thought we'd stay in central San Francisco we chose this hotel on the basis of the large rooms (perfectly adequate for our family of 5.... 4 who are adult sized!!!) & the use of the swimming pool! The hotel perfectly met our needs, nice & quiet; a good restaurant within easy walking distance ( the lighthouse one, I forget its proper name), great views over the estuary. It's easy to travel to SF - we took the ferry which was great. The hotel provided shuttle service was also handy; allowing us to try a restaurant further away without driving!
We also enjoyed the swimming pool which was surprisingly warm :-)
All in all a great start to our holiday.......

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you Paula for staying with us during your trip to the California! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I wish you all good luck with the rest of your trip.

By the way, the restaurant within walking distance of our hotel is called Quinn's Lighthouse. Many of our guests enjoy the restaurant and the short walk over there.

You are more than welcome back to our hotel, next time you are in the San Francisco area.

Been to Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel? Share your experiences!