“Very noisy room” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Carpinteria, California
“Very noisy room”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Called and made reservation and asked for a quiet bedroom with water view on the top floor. We did not arrive till late in the evening due to busy schedule. We were given room 397. My younger daughter fell asleep due to exhaustion, otherwise I would have requested to change to another room. This room was basically facing the Freeway, extremely noisy, every time a large truck drove by, the entire room would shook. I wish I had brought ear-plugs. During check out, I told the attendant Jay Consuelo that the room was very noisy, it kept my husband, my older daughter and myself awake all night. I asked why they did not honor my request by giving us a quiet room, they did give us a bedroom on the third floor with a peek of the water view. Mr. Consuelo did not answer my question, he asked if my window was left opened?! I did not want to be rude , therefore I answered it did not make any difference, the room was noisy due to the location, and No I did not leave the window opened. He then gave me his business card and told me to contact him directly to make any future reservation. I recommend the management team of this hotel to spend a night in this room, they would then have a better understanding of what it feels like to be kept awake all night by freeway noises. Also, this hotel does not have enough parking spaces, the hotel was only 80% occupied when we check in and still it did not have enough parking spaces.

Room Tip: Not 397, choose a room somewhere in the middle to avoid freeway noises.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
DanielSalesManager, Manager at Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
I am sorry to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations. We work very hard to keep the highest possible possible customer service and to exceed our guests expectations.

When you made your reservations we only had one double room left in the entire hotel. We always try to accommodate our guests every need. However, when you checked in at 12.30am we only had one double room left. We have never received a complaint about noise in this room before, so I was very surprised to read your review. We take noise complaints very seriously, since the most important aspect of a hotel room is to get a good night sleep. I will look into this and make sure to bring it up in our next staff meeting.

I am so sorry to hear that you had a hard time finding parking. Since we share a parking lot with our sister hotel Executive Inn & Suites, our guests can park in their parking lot as well, which is just an extension of our parking lot. This prevents us from having any troubles with parking spots, even if we are sold out. I apologize if we did not communicate this to you.

I hope you will give us a second chance to prove to you why we are the number 1 hotel in Oakland. We would love to welcome you back and meet all your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed one night in Oakland to be near the airport for a morning flight. For whatever reason, we could not find a room in an airport hotel - all the ones with half-decent Tripadvisor reviews were sold out. We finally decided to just go with an Oakland hotel and we were so lucky to find this Best Western Bayside.

For 2/3 the price of a rather crummy airport hotel, we got a huge double queen room with 2 comfortable beds, sitting area with nice couch, very large coffee table, comfy armchair and ottoman, executive desk, flatscreen tv with dresser, balcony overlooking the water (with a bonus side view of the highway), coffee/tea prep station with fridge, full-size safe, lots of closet space and a gorgeous bathroom of Fairmont quality with a separate shower stall, soaking tub and stone floors!

They covered many of the small details that I care about and that many hotels don't bother with - lighted magnifying mirror (that you can use as a night light in the bathroom), separate room for the toilet with a fan, accessible plugs to charge our myriad devices, clock that actually had the correct time and the alarm NOT turned on. They also had a small fitness room, 24 hour tea/coffee available, and a beautiful space for eating breakfast. And again, at a third less than the airport hotels. We were able to drive to the car rental drop-off in about 15 minutes at 7 am, so no problem with the location.

There were a few drawbacks although not enough to take off more than .5 star. The room we were first given turned out to still have an occupant (who was luckily not there when we walked in)! Not as big a deal for us as it would have been if it had been our room being walked into. The woman at the front desk couldn't figure out why there was someone in the room and was somewhat but not overly concerned about the situation. Also, when we first arrived, we were accosted by someone in the parking lot with a sob story who extracted $17 from my husband - perhaps not totally the hotel's issue but not the nicest intro to the property.

Still, I was very impressed by the quality of the room and the hotel facility itself, even more so for the price, and would stay here again.

Room Tip: The front desk suggested a room on the 3rd floor but we didn't hear anyone walking on top of us...
Santa Cruz, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Nice hotel, good sized room, nice bathroom. Staff is very friendly. Sound proofing could be a bit better -- you can hear your neighbor's pipes as they take a shower. Not terrible though. There's a nice view from the balconies of the rooms on the backside of the building.

Room Tip: The rooms on the back of the property are probably quieter and they have a nice view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
DanielSalesManager, Manager at Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for leaving us some feedback on your stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay.
I am sorry if you could hear your neighbor's pipes when they took a shower. I will look into it, since I have not heard about this before. We want to make sure your experience with us is as relaxing and carefree as possible.

Thank you for the feedback!
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I came to bay area for a business trip and the company booked this hotel for me. The hotel provides free airport shuttle and routinely free shuttle to key places nearby, which is very convenience. the view of my room is fantastic. It's right on the beach and I enjoyed a full set of beautiful beach sunset.

BUT, the best of the experience is from the staff. Before my meeting, I found that I need to quickly print out something and the front desk girl, whose name is Chennel, helped with me immediately. This actually saved my meeting. I feel she cared about me and my needs, not just for politeness or service, but more caring. She really volunteered to help me even before I asked. It is so sweet. I appreciate a lot!!

Also on my way back to the airport, the hotel provided me special free ride to airport to match my flight time. Overall, the whole experience is very personal, very caring. I feel they took such a great care of me and I will recommend the hotel to everyone who go to Oakland.

Room Tip: Ask for a bay view room, it's so good.
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We found this hotel and read reviews about it... We were glad that we made a reservation almost a month before we get here because the week we were here, it was fully book. They had a special going on, so got the great deal. The hotel was just renovated & we got the chance to stay in one of their executive suites!:) It was so nice and my husband was very pleased... We even have the view of the marina in our balcony! The complimentary breakfast was very good too & they always have coffee & tea available for guests ti enjoy. Free wi-fi and parking are plus! Thanks Tripadvisor & for the people who take time to write a review... It helps a lot!!!:):):)

Woodland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

My family and I visited the hotel in early May. We really enjoyed this fully renovated and excellent hotel! The staff is exceptional from management to housekeeping. We loved the 24/7, fully equipped coffee bar, complimentary full breakfast, free wifi, heated pool and spa, We also enjoyed our spacious room with comfortable beds and beautiful furnishings. Our room was upgraded with a bayview for no extra cost. We have a special needs child and the staff was very accomodating towards him even when he tried to climb on their chairs behind the reception desk. The staff made every effort to insure all of our needs were satisfied and believe me, they were. I highly recomment this hotel and plan to visit again this summer. I am very thankful to the entire staff for our wonderful visit. Paul from Woodland Ca

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed there for only 1 night last week but if I am ever in the area again...I would certainly go there. The staff is really friendly and helpful (Jay, Chennel, Jessica--on phone). Had a beautiful room, thank you. They made our stay pleasurable and relaxing, that I didn't want to leave.

Jay knew that I didn't want to drive our rental car into SF for the evening, so he suggested we take the complimentary shuttle and then to SF ferry across to Pier 41 and 39 (Fisherman's wharf etc). Sorry I didn't get to meet Jessica in person but she assured me that my stay would be nice and it was. Highly recommend this hotel! Thanks again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words. I will make sure to mention your review to Jay, Chennel and Jessika. I am glad they made your stay with us relaxing.

Our complimentary shuttle is a very good alternative to taking your own car to SF. You do not have to pay for parking and you will avoid all the traffic.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope to see you back at our hotel next time you are in Oakland.

Been to Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel? Share your experiences!