“Surprisingly good food!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Cheval is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 999 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Eureka, California
“Surprisingly good food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Le Cheval is a huge, noisy, busy restaurant, so we were concerned that they cared more about quantity than quality. But it turned out that the food was very good, and we enjoyed our dinner. The noise level was quite high and there were several large parties, so it was hard to talk to each other. I had the noodles with curried vegetables and it was a very good but a very different curry than I am used to, but that's probably because I've never had Vietnamese curries before.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Placentia, CA
“Large, friendly,good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Visiting our son in Oakland. He took us here and we were pleasantly surprised to find this large, friendly restaurant with a varied menu. Asian foods tasting just a little different than any other Chinese, Thai etc we have tasted..Tofu salad and hot /sour soup excellent. Rub the Buddha's belly...

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
KY
“My favorite Asian restaurant in the USA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

I've been coming to Le Cheval for many years. Of all the Asian food I've eaten around the country, this is my favorite Vietnamese / Thai restaurant, period.

The Claypot Rice is delicious, the curries are amazing, shrimp rolls are great too. I've never had a meal less than a 9 out of 10.

Wish I could eat there again tonight but I'm not in Oakland.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Scottsdale, Arizona
“The Royal Treatment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

I had lunch. I ordered the lemongrass chicken with lots of vegetables(carrots, celery, green beans and broccoli) in a light curry sauce with steamed rice. Generous portion for $8.50. This also included a cup of carrot chowder. The surprise came when I used the restroom. The "throne" was heated! Plus it had all the bells and whistles to wash up front to back! I guess you could call it value added!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Francisco, California
“A Local Favorite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

used to go to Le Cheval every week. I also called in a to go order whenever I flew in from out of town and paid for the taxi to stop along the way.

I have never eaten anything I did not love. I highly recommend the broccoli with chicken, salty prawns, imperial rolls, and french rice. That is what I get every time I go.

They were forced from their large location to a smaller one down the street. But they are back in their old location. All the police and longshoremen eat there; that is a testament to how popular they are.

Reasonably priced and you can get many of the same items with rice if you order during lunch. Make reservations or be prepared to wait. They also do take out and I have never been disappointed.

• Visited May 2012