“YUMMERS” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 19 activities in Oakland
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Savor Oakland Food Tours, LLC provides walking food and culture tours of The City of Oakland. We are the first Oakland tour business to combine food, culture, and history in one walking tour. We give an amazing snapshot of Oakland food culture and history. Come join us and savor a taste of Oakland soul!
San Ramon
“YUMMERS”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Just spent a delightful morning with our delightful guide Geneva. She was very knowledgeable about the Oakland area and we learned a lot of its history. The food samples were outstanding and to learn that Oakland had a winery was a pleasant surprise. The servers and owners at all of the places we visited were all so friendly, we will be back.

Visited January 2013

Bonn, Germany
“Local love!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Although I've been an Oakland/Berkeley resident for over a decade, I'm really glad to see Savor Oakland bring some local culinary love to The Town, and share it with in-towners and out-of-towners alike.

Carlo is very personable and enthusiastic, and presents a great walking tour of the Warehouse and Waterfront districts. I especially enjoyed the iPad photos of intersections where we were standing at the time. The food and drink at all the spots is nothing short of fantastic and hopefully will present—to Oakland newcomers—that the 510 has a lot to offer.

My favorite parts on the tour were interacting with the local artisans that made their craft, like at Baia Pasta and Urban Cellar Winery. Seeing pasta being made, and understanding the economics of flour production was fascinating. That said, it was a little disappointing to walk into Chop Bar, Bocanova and Miette and not interact with the folks making their (admittedly crazy-delicious) product. I understand that they're working businesses, but it was almost as if they didn't care that we were there. Just even saying hi would have been nice.

Given the rain and some changes to our tour, Carlo was also nice enough to end our day at Cerruti Winery (where he bought us a delicious bottle of sauvignon blanc)—but honestly, I was still hungry after I left, and bought a crazy-good pork shwarma from a truck parked at Webster and 3rd St.

Over three hours we ate: a two-inch slice of bahn mi, a little salad, a small portion of chicken-and-waffles, a golf ball-sized pão de queijo, a handful of bacon-maple syrup popcorn, a French-style macaron, wrapped up at the end with some plantains, a spoonful of ceviche and a pair of small churros. And a little wine and Blue Bottle New Orleans-style coffee.

Ok, as I write all that, maybe it was mostly just my lack-of-breakfast talking there! Still, I was definitely expecting more bites, or at least one larger menu item for a ticket price of $45. (I got a Groupon and only paid $22, but still.)

In the future, I hope that Savor Oakland expands to other neighborhoods and presents folks with not only the $8.50 bahn mi, but the $3 alternative that many Oaklanders enjoy too.

As much as I really did love Bocanova's $12 (locally-sourced, organic, yadda yadda—and insanely good!) ceviche, I'm more likely to go down to Tacos Sinaloa in East Oakland and get some $3 ceviche.

Hipster Oakland gets a lot of attention—I'd love to seen some of the even more hidden sides of Oakland (Korean restaurants on Telegraph, Eritrean/Ethiopian restaurants on Telegraph/Grave, Mexican restaurants on Intl Blvd.) shared with the masses.

Come check these guys out!

Visited December 2012
Livermore, California
“Beyond Expectations!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Such a yummy tour. Thursday Nov 29, I took my 3 sister from the east coast on this amazing tour. We learned interesting information about Oakland and the Jack London Sq area. I was surprised how well we were treated at the eating places, even cloth napkins at one place. There were restaurants I will come back to.

Visited November 2012
Pasadena, California
“A taste of Oakland food and history!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

As a Los Angeles resident I have visited the bay area many times, but Savor Oakland Food Tour shows a really cool area that I have not explored. It's a great experience for non-residents like me to really see the beauty of Oakland, and disregard many negative connotations that the public sees about this great city. There were locals on my tour that even stated that they have not seen this part of their area, and found it a wonderful hidden treasure in their own backyard.

The restaurants we checked out on our tour had great food and great service. Each restaurant we visited had their own unique style and put a lot of heart into the food on their menu. Our tour guide Geneva had such an extensive knowledge about Oakland and the Jack London area. This tour is labeled as a Food Tour, but it also is a great way to understand the background and history of this cool area. I definitely recommend it to everyone to check out this tour!

Visited November 2012
Oakland, California
“more than just a food tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This was so much more than just a tour of the restaurant and local establishments! the tour guides really did their homework and was able to share a lot about local Oakland history as well as a bit about food history (like where ceviche came from, and a bit of background of fried chicken's prominence in the south), and also stories about the restaurant owners and what they did before, how they ended up where they are now... i like stories those kinds of stories, it's almost like an inside scoop into the food scene... i can't wait until they expand and do the other neighborhoods of Oakland!

Visited October 2012