“Yum, yum, yum” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 39 Activities in Oakland
More attraction details
Owner description: Savor Oakland Food Tours, LLC provides walking food and culture tours of The City of Oakland. We are the first Oakland tour business to combine food, culture, and history in one walking tour. We give an amazing snapshot of Oakland food culture and history. Come join us and savor a taste of Oakland soul!
Oakland, California, United States
“Yum, yum, yum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Savor Oakland has something for everyone to enjoy. Structured as a stroll through the neighborhood around Jack London Square, it is a tour of the sites, a history lesson, a gift-idea counseling session, and a complete meal all rolled into one.

I wasn't expecting large servings at the various local restaurants they bring you to, but by the end of the walk (along the waterfront), I was full! And we hadn't even concluded with a stop at the bonbon shop! Luckily, I could keep the candy for later ;).

This was fun and introduced us to more than one local establishment we'll be visiting again.

prophecy288
“Savor the experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Even though I'm a Bay Area native, it was such a refreshing and frequently tasty treat to get acquainted with an overview of the history of the Oakland port and its current culinary and artistic offerings. I enjoyed everything from churros in chocolate sauce at Bocanova, artwork at the pop up Spoke Art gallery, and perhaps the most delicious macaroons I've ever had at Miette.

Our friendly neighborhood guide, Carlo is clearly not only enthusiastic about the city he lives and loves, but imparts various anecdotes about the citizens, upstart spirit, and delicious cuisine that is alive and well in a city that absolutely deserves its #5 spot on the NY Times List of Places to Visit for 2012.

Visited November 2012
California
6 attraction reviews
“Savor Oakland Food Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Ceviche, Macaroons, Chicken and Waffles that's just a few of the foods we tasted on our Savor Oakland Food Tour yesterday. You opened my eyes to the magic of Oakland, the food, the shops, the history, the people and of course the wine. I want to go back and try more of the menu at each place we stopped. I loved that you took care of the vegetarian in the group and treated the under 21 foodie special at the wine tasting.

It was nice to meet other foodies and hear about their food experiences in Oakland and surrounding neighborhoods. I enjoyed our tour guide/owner Carlo's love and knowledge of Oakland and his sense of humor. This tour would make a lovely gift or holiday outing. Can't wait to share your tour with all my friends and out of town visitors!!

My friends and I are always looking for something different to do and this was it! I was so busy having fun I forgot to get any pictures. Next time!

Super easy to buy your tickets online at http://www.savoroaklandfoodtours.com

Visited November 2012
San Jose, CA
7 attraction reviews
“A must-do tour for anybody hungry in Oakland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This food tour was well-organized, informational and delicious!
There were clear directions sent before the tour started. What did we eat you ask? Chicken & waffles, churros con chocolate, ceviche, macarons, banh mi sandwich and more... And we definitely SAVORED each bite. =P
What else is important besides the sites and the food is the guide. Geneva had a great attitude, loves her city and made our time in the 'O' a real pleasure to enjoy.

My girlfriend & I are from San Jose and we didn't realize Oakland has so much history and how underrated Oakland is. Without a doubt, we would highly recommend this activity to anyone who is new to this Oakland... or even not new!

Mountain View, California
“Delicious and Fun Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

A delicious day in Oakland. I've known that there was a food and art renaissance occurring in Oakland, and that Oakland has been selected as one of the top places to visit, but as a resident of the south bay and peninsula I've had little personal exposure until now. It was incredible to tour the area with Savor Oakland. They really gave us a taste of not just the incredible food and drinks available there, but the vibrant culture that is springing up throughout their city.

The diverse flavors that were highlighted in this tour where very thoughtfully selected, and really gave us a great sample of the different culinary experiences available. Each dish was delicious, and definitely made my wife and I want to return - we actually went back to two of the places right after the tour.

Our tour guide was also excellent. Right from the start, she was informative about the food, culture, and historic elements of the area. Being given the back-story for each destination was great, and she also took the time to find out what we were interested in. The entire tour had a great mix of humor, information, and delicious experiences.

The spacing of the different stops was also well planned. I really enjoyed the mixture of sitting for a nice dish and then walking. For anyone who maybe concerned about the walking, I'm actually disabled and have some trouble walking, but found this tour to be led at comfortable pace with plenty of stops to rest, and eat or drink something yummy!