“Unnerving” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Los Angeles
“Unnerving”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Well, I booked for an impromptu trip to Northern California, and arrived for a 9 PM check in with my Expedia print out in hand. Simple I thought.
The manager scoffed "There is no registration for you". He appeared puzzled to see the confirmation number I had in hand, staring first at it for what seemed like 5 minutes and then at my ID for another 5, then back again. He then asked me repeatedly if I smoked, then yelled "No smoking here!" Eventually his confusion led to him giving me a room key, and reminding me again not to smoke. He murmured something about his daughter fixing the credit card. I had to ask for a room number, and where I could find the room
So....I grabbed my bag from the car, and realized the stair case emptied out into the street. Travelling alone, I did make note of the pedestrian activity. I would suggest walking past your room if you are watched like I was. When the pedestrian traffic moved on, I went back to my room and realized I could block the door with the chair and suitcase.
Maybe this helped me feel a little better since the outside of the door seemed to be ....umm.....fragile.
I nodded off , and the phone rang after 11PM, and some woman was asking for my credit card. She then identified herself as the managers daughter, and asked again. After I encouraged her to confirm the number she had on my reservation ( that Dad couldn't find ), she told me she needed the actual card to charge it and asked me to come downstairs. I asked her to come upstairs.....Ha.....She wouldn't even go outside at that hour in that neighborhood. She agreed to have me bring it down in the morning.
Morning comes, the heavy trucks begin rattling by, and the phone rings again at 7 AM. It's Dad. He wants the credit card, and to know exactly what time I'll be checking out. Really? 2 calls while I try to sleep, just because they can't retrieve a reservation from on-line?
I packed up, and he ran the charge, as I remember if you book online, the hotel never charges you directly. I'll be contacting my bank to check for double charges

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Families
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

We stayed 1 night, neighborhood was very bad. We saw 1 patron get robbed when going to the vending machines. The ice machine cost $.25 cents and it was dirty and stinky. We heard arguing and police sirens all night. Once the sun goes downs it's safer to stay inside. Horrible place to stay we will never go there again. We found it on Priceline and we are very disgusted.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Lubbock,TX.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

i stayed here while i was on Business in Bay Area. Rooms were Clean. Looked Niced. and the price was right. hotel is close to FWY 580 and where i have to go. the staff was very friendly and gave us information on resturant in area and even gave us proper direction.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

Located in a very seedy section of Oakland, not close to much of anything and with no amenities of any kind in the vicinity. Want food? Be prepared to order pizza from the one establishment that delivers here (and be leery of the soda machine, which had mislabeled selections when I stayed). Want to sleep? Bring your earplugs, as illicit commerce goes on loudly in the parking lot all night, punctuated by occasional screams and gunshots. Room was a bit rundown but otherwise nice enough. I fell in love there but doubt I'll be back.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
nagod, Manager at Crown Lodge Motel, responded to this review, September 3, 2009
We are sorry to hear you had an unfortunate experience. However, I do wish to clarify some things you noted in your review. There are actually several activities and attractions close by, including the Oakland Zoo, the Mormon Temple and the Oakland Coliseum. Also, San Francisco is across the bay, a mere 20 minutes away, and full of things to do and see. There are several nearby restaurants including Thai Satay, Blossom Chinese Restaurant, and Planet Coffee. Additionally, Romano Pizza does deliver. We have been living here for over 20 years and have had only a handful of problems. The excessive noise and gunshots heard are an exaggeration.
oakland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

The Crown Lodge Motel is a great place to stay at. With reasonable prices, superb cleanliness, HBO, Internet access to wifi and sweet managers, this place is definitely worth it. They even have bathtub sized jacuzzis in some of their rooms!

• Liked — Reasonable prices
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Crown Lodge Motel? Share your experiences!