“Great hotel - not great location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 20%
Ranked #9 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Kansas City, Missouri
“Great hotel - not great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

No complaints on the hotel at all. Great beds, great staff and breakfast was awesome. Biscuits and gravy were the best! Wide variety of options. We stayed one night after an A's game. I would not leave anything valuable in your car - someone had just had a break-in when we were returning from the game. The hotel is back in an industrial area. The Wal-Mart close to there has a constant patrol car going around, so they must have issues in this area. Price was reasonable, and value was good - just be careful!

Room Tip: Get something higher than 1st floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
bwplusoaklandca, Webmaster at BEST WESTERN PLUS Airport Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m glad you have no complaints about your stay with us. For many, our location is our biggest asset because of our proximity to the airport. We also find the neighborhood to be safe and provide security as well to make sure our property always remains safe and peaceful. I apologize if we fell short of your expectations in any way and hope we will have you with us again soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Niagara
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

The stay at the Airport Inn & Suites in Oakland was somewhat disappointing due to its' location. The hotel was clean, quite and staff were very helpful. The location was the only issue, somewhat remote and would not feel comfortable walking outside the hotel property. The price was very reasonable. I would recommend this hotel for a short stay. Its' only draw back was its' location.

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your kind comments about our clean, quite and well-staffed hotel, and I’m pleased that you would recommend it to others. Our convenient location near the airport is an asset for us, and most guests feel completely safe. We also have on-site security and take other actions to make sure guests like you feel safe and secure. We look forward to having you with us again soon.

sarasota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

we stayed for a week to be in a family wedding near berkely ca. this hotel is a great value for your money. the staff goes over and above to make your stay perfect. just be carful not to wander out at night by yourself around the hotel... you need a car to be self sufficient staying here. otherwise you travel by shuttle to a public transit near by. the staff are absolutely the most professional and helpful. they are what makes this hotel great! we had no issues staying here and someone always helped us with anything we needed during our stay. great people make this hotel great!

Dear Guest,

I’m so pleased that our staff impressed you so much. Thanks for being an extended stay guest. While having a car in this area is advisable, we take pride in our convenient location and find our neighborhood to be safe and quiet. I’m sorry if you felt unsafe at any time. In any case, I hope to have you with us again soon. We look forward to serving you again.

Sherman Oaks, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Will not stay at this location again. Terrible neighborhood. While the premises were clean, the surrounding areas were strewn with broken glass and trash. Don't walk anywhere in this neighborhood. Staff led me to believe it would be safe to walk 2 blocks from a nearby restaurant; very irresponsible of them. It was not safe. I had an encounter that could have turned out very bad. For the money, I will stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thanks for you comments. I’m glad you were impressed with our nice, clean and comfortable hotel. We take pride in this neighborhood, as do our neighbors. We find it to be safe and a great place to do business. I hope you will indeed stay with us again and take a look at the neighborhood through new eyes. We also provide security and take other actions to make sure our property is always nice for guests like you.

Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights and it wrecked our holiday. Between the barbed wire at the back of the lot in a terrible neighbourhood or the spikes on the fence to keep people out of the lot I was very afraid. Yet the entrance is fully open??? 2nd night had a pot smell so strong my husband went out to complain and accused a bunch of young guys in our hallway that called him a racist b/c they were black. Front staff sprayed the hall and took 1/2 hr to call security. I would've left but was too scared it was after midnight. Front desk offered me 40% off my 2nd night but couldn't do the paperwork correctly and overcharged me instead. So we did a double credit to make up the difference on the overcharge and to get me the credit but I see my credit card has been charged more $$ b/c front staff can't add apparently & I'm not calling long distance to try and get the 60$ 40% off I was promised. I paid good $$ and was afraid of dopers and my husbands life in dangerous circumstance. Front desk said I could call the cops but they wouldn't. If they find cigarette butts they will double charge that room. Great for them but what about us?

Room Tip: Don't go there
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m sorry you felt unsafe here despite our strong safety record and on-site security measures. I also apologize that actions beyond our control by other guests detracted from your stay. We satisfy hundreds of people every month and are disappointed that we could not satisfy you. If you there are any outstanding payment issues, please contact me directly for quick resolution.

Hotel Manager.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

One star is being nice, this hotel deserves no stars. By far the worse hotel I've ever stayed at, save you're money and time and go somewhere else. I wish I did! It's in a terrible neighbourhood, and terrible security, not a family hotel. Stay here to ruin you're family vacation! You've been warned!

Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying with us. I’m sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay when so many others are. We have many families as well as many business people who stay here for our clean, comfortable rooms, safety, security and amenities. Still, I apologize that we failed to meet your needs and wish you well in finding other accommodations next time you’re in the area.

Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed at this hotel recently whilst going to baseball at the Oakland A's. The rooms are good, clean, well furnished, the A/C was quiet. The swimming pool was disappointing as the photos on the web site are taken with a wide angle and it is nowhere near the size it looks like. I love to swim but only went in once as I found the pool to be dirty. There was dirty scum all around the water level of the pool and the pool towels were very old, small and super thin.
We stayed over the 4th July weekend and were surprised when they closed the breakfast room to refurbish it over a very busy weekend. Breakfast was a challenge in the lobby area.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. The shuttle driver was excellent. They only have one shuttle which runs to the Bart station on 15 and 45 past the hour and to the airport on the hour and half hour.
The location of this hotel is very poor. It is on a back street, next to industrial units. There are no restaurants anywhere near the hotel. We tried walking to another hotel on the main street towards the airport and were approached for money. In summary, not a bad hotel but in a really bad location.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, but I apologize if we fell short of your expectations in any way. Our location near the airport is an asset in many ways, although there are some downsides. Still, most guests are completely satisfied and I sincerely apologize that you were not.

Hotel Manager

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Airport Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!