“Hard to find” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Tehachapi, California
“Hard to find”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

OK rooms, back alley location, Hegenberger Loop, off Hegenberger Road. Made reservation 1 week ago. Most people get a hotel, because they are not from the particular area. This place is tucked away where you can't see it. Dark, high speed traffic 45MPH, you can't slow down and look for it. Marriott Courtyard, Hilton, are about the same price. Will not walk THIS neighborhood to look for a restaurant. People smoking right outside the entrance- move it away 20-30 feet. CLASS, that's it- it's about class. Sorry there ain't none. When I checked in, someone talking to the desk clerk wanted to check out and get a refund because the soda machine didn't work. There's two sides to every story. What about telling the guy I'll make a note of it for the manager? Or- something. Put up a sign you can see.
Not the best customer service, tacky neighborhood, pass this one by unless the rest are full.

Room Tip: Choose a good room at Courtyard, Hilton, at least a hotel on a main drag with restaurants
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Crescent City, California, Usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I have stayed and many Best Western hotels throughout the years and this one certainly would not qualify as a B/W Plus in my opinion. I booked two rooms for my adult children, and my boyfriend and I. I called several times to make sure it was a park and fly and when checking in, was told that there was no more room for parking. Then they jacked up the price $75 for each room and said we could leave our cars. Terrible service and the manager should be replaced.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Bestwestern05603, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Airport Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

First off let me apologize that we did not have the Park and Fly option open on the date of your arrival. Please understand that our hotel has a limit on the number of Park and Fly reservations we can accept, due to our limited parking. As a courtesy we let you keep your vehicles at our property, and charged you the normal price per day for each vehicle. We did not "Jack up the price", as stated. We have various options when our Park and Fly package is not available as well. Our 24 hour complimentary shuttle service, can take you to, and pick you up from any offsite Airport parking location. Our Park and Fly option is not always available, please understand that there are limitations to this option due to circumstances beyond our control.
Ashland, OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My 83 year old dad and I stayed here the night before our flight out of Oakland. The room they gave us on the second floor was 81 degrees in April at 7 PM. And the A/C unit DID NOT WORK. I asked for another room. The room on the third floor they gave us, the AC unit DID NOT WORK, but it was only 76 degrees. I called and they came and kind of fixed the unit. Disconnected it from the wall thermostat.

It's hard to change rooms with an older person who walks slowly.

The positive was that the front desk clerk let us into the breakfast room for a quick snack before it's normally open.

I probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bestwestern05603, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Airport Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that you had trouble with your A/C unit in both rooms you were given. I would like to point out that because of your review; we have thoroughly inspected each and every single room to make sure this does not occur again. I can understand that this may have been frustrating for you during your stay, but I can assure you that we are being proactive with any complaints we are given. Please contact me at the property directly, as I would love to talk with you personally. Thank you,

Jay Patel
Best Western Plus Oakland Airport
510-633-0500
Salt Lake City, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We were on our way back from visiting family in San Jose and I wanted to go see an Oakland A's game. This was the closest hotel I could find to the stadium (and it is close, only a five-minute drive) and the reviews were good and the price was a little high, but within our typical budget.

There's nothing wrong with the hotel itself. The room was clean, the service was good and probably because it's an airport hotel, things were pretty quiet at night.

The location is horrible. I get that it's near an airport and all, but it's tucked back into an industrial area that has seen better days, about two blocks off the main road. The hotel's parking lot is surrounded by a fence and the parking lot is signed with notices about 24 hour security (which is probably necessary). There are no restaurants within walking distance.

As I was unloading the car, I got hit up for cash by a guy on a bicycle who just rode casually into the parking lot. I didn't have anything on me, but even if I did, I'm not that kind of person. The fact that I'm getting asked with two suitcases and numerous other bags full of baby-related stuff certainly doesn't help. He wasn't aggressive, but very skeptical, I guess, and he kind of nodded and said, "Alright, man." Then he just rode off. I think that's the sort of thing that makes people uncomfortable and I would think that security or hotel staff would keep an eye out for that.

The other bad thing is the parking lot: the spaces are very small. So there's a chance that if someone with a ridiculously large truck or SUV parks beside you, it'll either be very hard to get into your car or your car might get dinged by their door. Additionally, when I came back from the game around 10:00, multiple spots were occupied by two cars, so there were only three spots left.

It was a convenient, clean hotel but the location is not ideal in my opinion and I think the management needs to address a couple of things with security and the parking lot.

cody
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Spent night there before leaving to hawaii. The shuttle was excellent, room was nice, comfortable quiet. Breakfast had lots of choices thought it was tacky for the breakfast attendant to put a tip jar out for a complimentary breakfast . Wish employees of hotel would let the guests get there breakfast before they help themselves. Staff at front desk were pleasant and driver.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Airport Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!