“The Good with the Not-So-Good” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #26 of 47 Hotels in Oakland
“The Good with the Not-So-Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Stayed here for a week while I searched for an apartment in SF. Chose this place because of the lower price and it allows pets.
Good: Location - across the street from Target, short walk to the bus which will take you across the bay, or the Emery-Go-Round (FREE shuttle) to get to Bay St shops, IKEA, etc. Near the freeway but it didn't bother me much with the windows closed. There are grassy areas for your dog. The staff is nice enough, though I can't speak to their response to requests/problems, as I didn't contact them for anything.

Not-so-Good: Room wasn't the cleanest (dusty bathroom, smudges on counters and door) but nothing totally grossed me out. You can do laundry, but as someone mentioned, there are no hangers to line-dry your things/hang your clothes for a longer stay. Towels feel like sandpaper (no fabric softener?). Breakfast offerings were fruit, granola bars, oatmeal, muffins, and coffee/tea - grab-n-go - don't expect a full spread. Grass looks like it hadn't been cut in weeks. And they charge a pet fee - to clean the carpet, they say - but I don't think it does much good, as I suspect my dog got fleas from there.

In short, if you want a higher-end experience, be prepared to pay the higher price for it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, 6 days ago
I appreciate you taking the time to write such a helpful review. We appreciate you letting us know that you found our towels rough. Our procurement department is working on upgrades. As well, I do apologize that your room cleanliness did not meet standards. I will be working with my housekeeping staff to review our cleanliness procedures to ensure that this experience is not repeated. I do also appreciate you alerting us to the possible pest issue with your carpet. I will call our pest company to resolve this issue. Thank you again for your review. It would be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Where to begin with this place..so much to say! Horrible experience checking in, and it just goes downhill from there! After I paid (they require payment in full upon checking in, I understand why now), received my key, and then went to my room. After sticking the key in, and going to open the door, the latch was on. I tried it a second time, thinking maybe it was just stuck, and it was still there. It was pretty awful when someone actually opened the door from the inside. I guess he was checked into the room as well. Good thing he had his latch on. I travel for work 100% of the time, and I have NEVER had this happen at any hotel before! After going back to the desk to inform the front desk person (I think I may have woken her up, it was 7 pm after all), she just said "oh", and gave me another room and key, not even an apology and didn't seem too concerned. I go to this room, and its a smoking floor/room. I'm a non smoker, so it smells pretty disgusting. I was exhausted from my travel day so I just stayed in that room for the night even though it smelled absolutely disgusting. I emailed the hotel management that night, and never received a response back. The next day I stopped at the front desk to see if I could get a non smoking room after I explained my reservations was for a non-smoking room and I still had another 3 nights left, and it seemed like a big inconvenience to the desk person but she finally gave me a non smoking room. When I moved my stuff over to the new room and went to put my stuff in the fridge, it was filthy and had old food still sitting in there. This would also explain why the room stunk of stale food. The bathroom wasn't the cleanest, and didn't appear that someone took much time when they cleaned it. Someone compared this hotel to a shelter. This is absolutely not true! People that work in shelters take much more pride in their work. Below budget quality, and way overpriced. This is my first stay in this brand of hotel and really quite a bad experience. Doesn't seem like anyone is too concerned at this hotel, even at the corporate level. Would not stay at this hotel, or even this brand for that matter, again. Definitely worst hotel experience ever.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. The experiences you described with room cleanliness the service you received from my staff are unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have met with my staff to review guest check-in procedures and customer service standards to ensure that we are providing our guests with helpful service. As well, I have met with my housekeeping staff to review our cleanliness standards to ensure that your experience is not repeated. The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. I would be happy to speak with you further. If you would like, please contact me directly, at EMY@extendedstay.com. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Problems are a normal occurrence in life. Businesses have problems. I judge a business not by the number of problems they have, but by how they're handled. When I arrived, there was a terrible noise in the water pipes. That was resolved by morning. Good news. We did discover that two electric plugs were inoperable. They happened to be the ones we needed most. The one in the bathroom and the one in the kitchen where you would plug in the coffee maker. I called the front desk and got the GM. I will say the GM is a nice guy. However, even though a work order was created, the work order was not executed. It's a ten minute job to replace faulty electric outlets. I've done this at home. There is simply no excuse that the work was not done. Epic failure. I am rethinking whether or not I will stay here again.

Room Tip: When (IF) you book a room here ask for one that does NOT face the freeway.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We are sorry to hear that your maintenance issues were not addressed. In response to your feedback, we have revamped our maintenance program, allowing our maintenance staff more time to address issues, such as yours.

We are grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. We invite you to contact us, at EMY@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.
new jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

The hotel was one step up from a shelter...When i arrived there were people sleeping in the lobby..The elevator to my floor was filthy...i was so tired from my long flight in that i tried to overlook this but when i opened the door to my room ...I was devastated...The rug smelled musty and the kitchen unit was not cleaned...food left on top of refrigerator and the knobs on the sink had food smudges all over them...sink was grimmy...the bathroom sink had a black ring underneath it...wasnt sure what that was with cigarette burn stains on the counter...shower needed cleaning also...i proceeded to hang my clothes up in a make shift closet that had a curtiain for a door...paint stains on the curtain...no hangers in the closet only shelves...left the next day...

Room Tip: Dont go there...find someplace else
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Staff was very nice and upgraded our room for free when they saw they had a two bed available. Room was decent and clean. Quiet even though it was next to the freeway. Close to freeway and other popular stores. The breakfast wasn't the best very very sweet but the coffee was good.

• Stayed June 2014
Folsom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Extremely unclean rooms. Bad beds with springs. Foul odors. Broken fixtures. Don't believe me??? Well then, waste your money, fool. I stay in hotels on a regular basis for business, and honestly, this one is by far the worst I've run across. What makes it insulting is the indifference given my "gripes" by the staff.

• Stayed June 2014
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I made a reservation for a non-smoking king bedroom weeks in advance through the SWA site, and naturally I received a confirmation. When our flight was delayed I called to confirm that we would be there and the person behind the desk reassured me that she would hold our room and guaranteed late arrival. When we finally arrived at the hotel around 10 PM we were informed that our room had been given away and that none were available. When I objected and told them that not only had we booked a long time ago, but that the front desk had guaranteed our late arrival had been confirmed many hours ago, the desk person said, in effect, that that was just too damn bad, but they were full.
No apology, no effort to help us find a room, no empathy, no acknowledgement of our inconvenience on a heavily booked Friday night.
I will never consider this hotel or this chain of hotels again. Not ever! I would rather sleep in my car!

Room Tip: Run away! A good room can be found in other nearby hotels.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville? Share your experiences!