“Pleasantly surprised!” 4 of 5 stars

Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #30 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
“Pleasantly surprised!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I think the previous reviews have been a little harsh! As a female on her own, relocating from Europe for work and having a number of things go wrong with my arrival into East Bay for various reasons, The Extended Stay America at Emeryville/Oakland is the only thing that so far has gone right.

Appreciate this is not the Ritz or Four Seasons, but they do not claim to be within that bracket. This is a great, affordable place to have as a home base until you move onto somewhere permanent or if you are visiting friends/relatives and you want to keep costs low (so you can spend on your actual vacation) and need somewhere to crash for a few nights etc.

In hotel terms, you have a large double room and they have made really good use of the space by providing a good sized kitchen with large fridge freezer, counter top space, plenty of cupboards, cooking hobs and microwave. You also get basic utensils, pans and crockery which is everything you need. And there's a toaster!

The bedroom area is good sized, enough room to open a big suitcase on the floor at the end of the bed and on either side which I've found in some hotel rooms I've stayed in, there isn't much room to move at all. The Tv is large and have a good number of channels. I'm staying for a little while until my permanent accommodation Is sorted so wouldn't mind to have the E channel or comedy Chanel but its really no big deal as there is a good variety to choose from.

Great space for me to do admin etc when I come back from work and additional space for all my cosmetics and girly stuff. The wardrobe area is good too and even had some clothes hangers which I was grateful for. Fully working iron and ironing board too with a laundry room downstairs which is great.

The bathroom is also a good size with a good sized bath tub and good shower above the bath.

The staff here are so friendly and accommodating and they are the reason I feel safe staying here on my own. There are parts of emeryville/Oakland you need to be more cautious in especially at night, but isn't that the case anywhere you go? I don't think this Extended Stay should be blamed for the way some people behave and from what I've seen, the staff would happily try to sort out a situation if it made other guests uncomfortable.

If you look to stay here, be mindful that it is not a 5star hotel as I eluded to earlier but it is a cosy place you can relax and unwind after a long day at work or out sightseeing that doesn't break the bank.

My only suggestions for the hotel would be that they think about offering a croissant option for the grab and go breakfast (just my personal preference over muffins/granola bars - although I know others prefer the latter) and that if they could provide a basic mini gym (treadmill, rowing machine, free weights etc) I think a few more business travellers may find the package appealing.

Room Tip: I'd suggest top floor, just because I like to have a view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I'm so glad that you are enjoying your visit from across the pond and that you find our rooms cozy and a good place to relax and unwind.

It’s great to hear that the staff was the reason that you felt so safe; it is our goal to ensure that every guest feels that this is there “home away from home.”

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Bangalore City, Karnataka, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for about half a month on business. It's a decent place with very friendly and helpful staff. David helped with the check-in formalities and it was pretty quick. The room was nice and clean. They clean the rooms once every week but replenish the toiletries upon request. They have a grab and go breakfast (included in the price), a decent laundry room and a lot of parking space.

The location is very nice - Target, Best Buy, Toys R Us, Pets Mart, (Pizza Hut and Starbucks are inside the Target store) etc right in front of the hotel. A 25-30 minutes drive to downtown San Francisco from over the Bay Bridge and about 40-45 minutes to the San Fran Airport. I did not explore the train connectivity or the boat connectivity but I know there's a train from Oakland to downtown SFO and also boat connectivity from the Oakland pier to Fisherman's wharf.

They do not have a running restaurant or pantry but you can order food from outside. I used to order Pizza late at night (they deliver till 3am).

The only issue was a nasty neighbour in the next room. He would start banging the common room wall even if I and my business partners were talking inside our room at an acceptable volume at 6pm. Slightly late in the evening we had to whisper to make sure we weren't disturbing him. So, I guess the walls are really thin there. And yes, they do not have a gym or a pool, so health enthusiasts might find it a li'l discomforting. The housecleaning lady was very polite. We had some issue with the shower and it was rectified immediately by their plumber.

Another thing to note is that we saw a party of 4-5 guys having beer (standing next to their truck) in the parking lot of the hotel in the evening. They weren't causing any ruckus but I'm not sure if that's a safe practice to be allowed by the hotel.

Overall it was a very good experience staying at this hotel. I'd definitely recommend the place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and found everything in the area to be convenient.

I’m sorry to hear that you felt the need to whisper during your meetings, always feel free to contact the front desk for any issues that you encounter with other guests and we would be happy to resolve them for you!

Laguna Niguel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Forced to stay here,by my company.Would not send a friend to stay here,maybe my boss though.Have stayed in these before,but never had this issue.I mark my bedding,just to make sure that they get changed !!! Well after being here over 30 days,they made the bed (once a week)took my tip,but used the sheets with the mark.The nerve of this lady,to take the tip :( Im pretty sure,she wont get another one from me.
The guy's at the front desk are FIRST CLASS,but they dont have the hard task of making the beds up,with CLEAN sheets,but the maids dont eather.
If i ran this place,there would be 1 job opening Monday,for house keeping.
Still got another 30 days here,so wish me luck.

Room Tip: Check the room,before paying
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ESA G, Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The housekeeping issue you described is not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. I am working with the team to ensure that this does not happen again in the future. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I invite you to contact me at emy@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments.
Orlando, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

They forced me to wait in the lobby, with a dog, for hours, because I lost my key and they wouldn't give me another. Despite claiming pet friendliness, and paying extra for the privilege, they called us back from the train because our dog was barking during the day. This place is the worst hotel I've stayed in.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that you had lost your key and had to wait for another. In response to your feedback about your dog barking in the room while being away, I will make sure my staff is fully communicating hotel’s pet policy to guests upon arrival. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at arahimi@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Says newly renovated, NOT! Questionable people hanging around parking lot and in lobby. Room smelled of smoke, carpet dirty and soiled. Mattresses hard as rocks, sheets didn't even fit, mattress cover soiled and dirty. Pillows had no filling. Bathroom had rodent droppings as well as drain pulled out and laying on floor. Kitchen dirty. and also had insect droppings. Free to go breakfast, if any, gone by sunup. My worst experience in 55 years of travel.

Room Tip: I have a tip, do not book this hotel. Stay in your rental car.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am very disappointed that your stay was less then exceptional. Please accept my apology. To prevent this from happening again, my team is conducting a complete sweep of the rooms to insure smell of smoke, carpets being dirty and soiled, Mattresses being hard as a rock, sheets not properly fitting to mattress covers, soiled and or dirty, Pillows not having any fillings, Bathrooms with rodent dropping, drains pulled out and laying on floors and Kitchens being dirty with insect droppings isn't repeated. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at arahimi@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Seems like they have tried to cut every corner possible.

problems:

1) The room needs painting
2) the kitchen is not stocked with utensils
3) only get housekeeping once per week
4) no hot breakfast
5) no gym (even though they say they do in their promo material in the room)
6) No dishwasher
7) no cleaning supplies for dishes

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am so disappointed that your stay was less then exceptional. Please accept my apology. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am doing a complete sweep of the rooms to insure the rooms needing paint, missing ample utensils and dishware are properly addressed. In regards to not providing Hot Breakfast or a Gym, please note that we specialize in providing clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price. Operating in this way allows us to continue to provide you our great rooms at exceptional rates. I take seriously your concern, however, and assure you that we work very hard to explain exactly what we offer to our guests before they arrive. I am, of course, very sorry that we were unable to make our offerings more clear to you before you checked in, and hope that you will keep our hotel in mind when your future needs are for an accommodation like ours. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at arahimi@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Professional and caring staff, great location, I highly recommend this hotel to anyone coming to the bay area. I have been at this hotel for over a year (job related) and have nothing but good thing to say about it. My needs have always been met in a timely manner. The staff have been very kind, professional and thoughtful. It is truly a "home away from home" atmosphere. The manager and assistant manager are always visible at the facility, and willing to address any requests that I might have. I keep coming back mainly because of the staff. They care about my comfort as well as my safety. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the highest, I give them a 10. ESA Emeryville, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms facing the front parking lot because I like the scenary of the buildings and g...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at our hotel. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!

Been to Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville? Share your experiences!