“HOME AWAY FROM HOME” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Berkeley, California
“HOME AWAY FROM HOME”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Professional and caring staff, great location, I highly recommend this hotel to anyone coming to the bay area. I have been at this hotel for over a year (job related) and have nothing but good thing to say about it. My needs have always been met in a timely manner. The staff have been very kind, professional and thoughtful. It is truly a "home away from home" atmosphere. The manager and assistant manager are always visible at the facility, and willing to address any requests that I might have. I keep coming back mainly because of the staff. They care about my comfort as well as my safety. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the highest, I give them a 10. ESA Emeryville, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms facing the front parking lot because I like the scenary of the buildings and g...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at our hotel. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Bedford, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed here last week for business and felt like I was in an episode of the Twilight Zone. First of all, this place reeks of cigarettes and other foul odors and is filthy from the lobby, to the hallways, to the rooms. Upon check-in, the toilet in my room had been used and not flushed. I was told that someone would "re-clean" the room which never happened. There was a sign indicating the "free wireless" was down and suggested that guests go to Starbucks for Internet access. The shower would instantly change from warm to scalding hot and the drain was clogged. During two nights of my stay, most of the TV channels were not working. The front desk is not staffed from 11:00pm - 7:00am, so if you need assistance during this time you are flat out of luck. There is a lady that does laundry in the back room that will leave a note for the person that comes in at 7:00. Upon my check-out at 5:30am, I left a note describing the issues that I endured and requested a discount off of my bill, but of course have not heard a word. While writing my note, someone had lost their room key and the laundry lady gave her a new one without ever asking for ID. If you happen to have a tent in the back of your car, I would use it before I would stay at this disgusting place again. The absolute worst hotel that I have ever encountered and grossly overpriced.

Room Tip: Run as fast as you can to another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, September 24, 2012

The experiences you described is truly regrettable. I strive to ensure that my guests have an exceptional stay. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have brought each of the issues you expressed to the attention of my staff. Regardless I assume full responsibility for you experiences.

Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at my hotel, and I promise that I will focus on total guest satisfaction every day. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate my redoubled efforts to have you back in the future here or at any of Extended Stay Hotels(sm)' other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.
Portland, Oregon, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The front desk guy asked me if I was familiar with extended stay hotels, I told him I am (I stay in Homewood Suites and Residence Inns frequently). He proceeded to explain how Extended Stay America works, and I'm glad he did, because I wouldn't have guessed that my room would only be cleaned once a week, I never would have assumed that I would be locked out of my room once a week and forced to get a new key.
Then I get to the room, it reeks of cigarette smoke, burn stains are present on the furniture and fixtures, food stains are on the cabinets in the kitchen. The silverware hadn't been washed and smelled funny. The two desks looked like they were purchased at IKEA and then assembled by a blind person with the wrong size allen wrench. Someone else's hair was left for me in the bathroom, I couldn't check for bed bugs because the fabric mattress cover was zippered on and the zipper was then zip-tied down.
I took advantage of the Target across the street, which was nice, but on my way back into the hotel I saw a rat run under some bushes.
I wasn't even a little bit shocked or surprised.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Jeremy - Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

The experiences you described is truly regrettable. We strive to ensure that our guests have an exceptional stay. Please know that we have very high standards when it comes to cleanliness and upkeep to the property; however, it seems that we were unable to reach these in your case. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have brought each of the issues you expressed to the attention of our staff.

Fresno, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We were in SF for two nights to watch a baseball game with our kids and grandbabies. Our original reservation was lost which had been for (2) King rooms. After my son had issue with the reservation desk we were booked into (2) NON-Smoking Queen rooms. Oh my goodness...the room the babies were supposed to be in smelled so strong of smoke we had to ask for them to be moved. Our room was stale as well, but we asked the desk for air sanitizer and delt with it since they were heavily booked for the weekend. The hotel's website advertises that the hotel was recently renovated which was not truthful. The outside of the hotel looks impressive, but once inside, the dingy carpets, clutter of boxes in the hallway, the stale smoke, and the uncleanliness of the rooms leave a negative impression. This was my first experiece with an extended stay type of hotel. I was not prepared for having to physically take my dirty towels and exchange them for clean at the reservation desk, or to check out a hairdryer in the same way. The location of the hotel was exceptional, with Target, a grocery store, Ikea and a mall with many restaurants in close proximity. The price with our corporate discount was good for the bay area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cheri - Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why we strive so hard to accommodate them with clean, comfortable rooms at an exceptional price. In order to meet the needs of our guests, we designate certain rooms for smokers and the rest for non-smokers. Guests who request non-smoking rooms should always be placed in one. Clearly there was a regrettable error, of which I have made all of our staff aware, during your stay. I have also spoken with them about the cleanliness issues you remarked on and the amenities. We should have communicated our policies to you in a more efficient manner.

Inglewood, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I just stayed here with my family this past week. This place is the WORST!!! The rooms are musty and smell of smoke. The carpet is dirty and the blankets had cigarette holes in them. They still use old school bed spreads that were old and had lent beads on them. Only the 4th floor is renovated not the whole hotel as advertised. The only plus is free wi-fi and the Target right across the street!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, September 4, 2012

Pleasant Hill, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I recently completed a three-week stay while traveling on business. The property was okay for what it is. The room was dated, but reasonably clean. It's definitely a no frills property. Noise can be an issue at times, housekeeping was not consistent in the service provided each week, and quality of service from the desk staff varied greatly. However, it was very conveniently located with a lot of shopping within short walking distance, easy to commute into SF with a transbay bus route at a nearby corner, and free shuttle bus nearby for access to BART other Emeryville locations.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ChristopherTM, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
We take great pride in offering a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price, so I was happy to read your comments about your accommodations and convenient location. However, I was disappointed to read the rest of your remarks. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why our mission is to provide clean and comfortable stays ensuring guests will want to return to our property. The room condition you describe and the inconsistent customer service the staff showed is totally unacceptable to me and not at all representative of our quality standards. In response to your post, I have met with our hotel staff and used your review to help coach them on room cleaning and inspection policy as well as guest relations.

From the staff and I, we hope you will give us another chance and stay with us again or another one of our brand locations sometime in the future.
Murrieta, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

My husband has an office around the corner from this hotel and the Hilton and Marriott were booked for this particular night so he made reservations at the extended Stay. We have stayed in them before and they have been acceptable. This hotel is Dirty. The Beds linens are not clean. We left through the side door and went to a Mariott courtyard 8 miles away. It is reasonable to expect a clean bed no matter where you stay or what you pay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ChristopherTM, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other brand locations in the future.

Been to Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville? Share your experiences!