“Horrible and Disgusting” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 48 Hotels in Oakland
Bedford, Indiana
“Horrible and Disgusting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed here last week for business and felt like I was in an episode of the Twilight Zone. First of all, this place reeks of cigarettes and other foul odors and is filthy from the lobby, to the hallways, to the rooms. Upon check-in, the toilet in my room had been used and not flushed. I was told that someone would "re-clean" the room which never happened. There was a sign indicating the "free wireless" was down and suggested that guests go to Starbucks for Internet access. The shower would instantly change from warm to scalding hot and the drain was clogged. During two nights of my stay, most of the TV channels were not working. The front desk is not staffed from 11:00pm - 7:00am, so if you need assistance during this time you are flat out of luck. There is a lady that does laundry in the back room that will leave a note for the person that comes in at 7:00. Upon my check-out at 5:30am, I left a note describing the issues that I endured and requested a discount off of my bill, but of course have not heard a word. While writing my note, someone had lost their room key and the laundry lady gave her a new one without ever asking for ID. If you happen to have a tent in the back of your car, I would use it before I would stay at this disgusting place again. The absolute worst hotel that I have ever encountered and grossly overpriced.

Room Tip: Run as fast as you can to another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, September 24, 2012

The experiences you described is truly regrettable. I strive to ensure that my guests have an exceptional stay. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have brought each of the issues you expressed to the attention of my staff. Regardless I assume full responsibility for you experiences.

Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at my hotel, and I promise that I will focus on total guest satisfaction every day. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate my redoubled efforts to have you back in the future here or at any of Extended Stay Hotels(sm)' other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Portland, Oregon, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The front desk guy asked me if I was familiar with extended stay hotels, I told him I am (I stay in Homewood Suites and Residence Inns frequently). He proceeded to explain how Extended Stay America works, and I'm glad he did, because I wouldn't have guessed that my room would only be cleaned once a week, I never would have assumed that I would be locked out of my room once a week and forced to get a new key.
Then I get to the room, it reeks of cigarette smoke, burn stains are present on the furniture and fixtures, food stains are on the cabinets in the kitchen. The silverware hadn't been washed and smelled funny. The two desks looked like they were purchased at IKEA and then assembled by a blind person with the wrong size allen wrench. Someone else's hair was left for me in the bathroom, I couldn't check for bed bugs because the fabric mattress cover was zippered on and the zipper was then zip-tied down.
I took advantage of the Target across the street, which was nice, but on my way back into the hotel I saw a rat run under some bushes.
I wasn't even a little bit shocked or surprised.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Jeremy - Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

The experiences you described is truly regrettable. We strive to ensure that our guests have an exceptional stay. Please know that we have very high standards when it comes to cleanliness and upkeep to the property; however, it seems that we were unable to reach these in your case. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have brought each of the issues you expressed to the attention of our staff.

Fresno, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We were in SF for two nights to watch a baseball game with our kids and grandbabies. Our original reservation was lost which had been for (2) King rooms. After my son had issue with the reservation desk we were booked into (2) NON-Smoking Queen rooms. Oh my goodness...the room the babies were supposed to be in smelled so strong of smoke we had to ask for them to be moved. Our room was stale as well, but we asked the desk for air sanitizer and delt with it since they were heavily booked for the weekend. The hotel's website advertises that the hotel was recently renovated which was not truthful. The outside of the hotel looks impressive, but once inside, the dingy carpets, clutter of boxes in the hallway, the stale smoke, and the uncleanliness of the rooms leave a negative impression. This was my first experiece with an extended stay type of hotel. I was not prepared for having to physically take my dirty towels and exchange them for clean at the reservation desk, or to check out a hairdryer in the same way. The location of the hotel was exceptional, with Target, a grocery store, Ikea and a mall with many restaurants in close proximity. The price with our corporate discount was good for the bay area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cheri - Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why we strive so hard to accommodate them with clean, comfortable rooms at an exceptional price. In order to meet the needs of our guests, we designate certain rooms for smokers and the rest for non-smokers. Guests who request non-smoking rooms should always be placed in one. Clearly there was a regrettable error, of which I have made all of our staff aware, during your stay. I have also spoken with them about the cleanliness issues you remarked on and the amenities. We should have communicated our policies to you in a more efficient manner.

Inglewood, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I just stayed here with my family this past week. This place is the WORST!!! The rooms are musty and smell of smoke. The carpet is dirty and the blankets had cigarette holes in them. They still use old school bed spreads that were old and had lent beads on them. Only the 4th floor is renovated not the whole hotel as advertised. The only plus is free wi-fi and the Target right across the street!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, September 4, 2012

Pleasant Hill, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I recently completed a three-week stay while traveling on business. The property was okay for what it is. The room was dated, but reasonably clean. It's definitely a no frills property. Noise can be an issue at times, housekeeping was not consistent in the service provided each week, and quality of service from the desk staff varied greatly. However, it was very conveniently located with a lot of shopping within short walking distance, easy to commute into SF with a transbay bus route at a nearby corner, and free shuttle bus nearby for access to BART other Emeryville locations.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ChristopherTM, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
We take great pride in offering a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price, so I was happy to read your comments about your accommodations and convenient location. However, I was disappointed to read the rest of your remarks. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why our mission is to provide clean and comfortable stays ensuring guests will want to return to our property. The room condition you describe and the inconsistent customer service the staff showed is totally unacceptable to me and not at all representative of our quality standards. In response to your post, I have met with our hotel staff and used your review to help coach them on room cleaning and inspection policy as well as guest relations.

From the staff and I, we hope you will give us another chance and stay with us again or another one of our brand locations sometime in the future.
Murrieta, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

My husband has an office around the corner from this hotel and the Hilton and Marriott were booked for this particular night so he made reservations at the extended Stay. We have stayed in them before and they have been acceptable. This hotel is Dirty. The Beds linens are not clean. We left through the side door and went to a Mariott courtyard 8 miles away. It is reasonable to expect a clean bed no matter where you stay or what you pay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ChristopherTM, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other brand locations in the future.
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I was in Berkley to do some work for Lawerence Berkley Labs. I had to bring equipment with me so I had tow a trailer.Therefore I had to park in the back of the property.Big mistake,not only my truck but several others had their windows shattered and vehicles broken into.Not that mgmt could do anything about it, but it seemed to a common thing.The security cameras were not working on that side of the building nice.I also had left my hanging clothes and a nice leather jacket in the closet of my room. When I called they gave me the runaround for 2 days. Nothing not even sorry.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our property.   I’m very sorry that your truck window was broken while at our hotel. The safety and security of our guests is very important to us, we are continuously looking for ways to improve.

Our security cameras are monitored by a security company in a remote location. With our support, they continually monitor and rectify any issues with our cameras or monitoring system. We apologize that the cameras were not operable during your time of need and have made sure they were fixed immediately following the incident.

We work very hard to keep our guests safe and ensure they leave 100% satisfied. I apologize again that you did not experience the best of stays at our hotel. However, I am working with our staff to rectify the problems highlighted in your post and hope you will give us a chance to show you our great strides towards improvement by staying at the hotel again in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakland
Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge
HYATT house Emeryville/San Francisco Bay Area
Courtyard by Marriott Oakland Emeryville
Four Points by Sheraton San Francisco Bay Bridge
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bayside Hotel
Executive Inn and Suites

Been to Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville? Share your experiences!