“It was adequate” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 47 hotels in Oakland
Pleasant Hill, California
“It was adequate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I recently completed a three-week stay while traveling on business. The property was okay for what it is. The room was dated, but reasonably clean. It's definitely a no frills property. Noise can be an issue at times, housekeeping was not consistent in the service provided each week, and quality of service from the desk staff varied greatly. However, it was very conveniently located with a lot of shopping within short walking distance, easy to commute into SF with a transbay bus route at a nearby corner, and free shuttle bus nearby for access to BART other Emeryville locations.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ChristopherTM, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
We take great pride in offering a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price, so I was happy to read your comments about your accommodations and convenient location. However, I was disappointed to read the rest of your remarks. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why our mission is to provide clean and comfortable stays ensuring guests will want to return to our property. The room condition you describe and the inconsistent customer service the staff showed is totally unacceptable to me and not at all representative of our quality standards. In response to your post, I have met with our hotel staff and used your review to help coach them on room cleaning and inspection policy as well as guest relations.

From the staff and I, we hope you will give us another chance and stay with us again or another one of our brand locations sometime in the future.

66 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Murrieta, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

My husband has an office around the corner from this hotel and the Hilton and Marriott were booked for this particular night so he made reservations at the extended Stay. We have stayed in them before and they have been acceptable. This hotel is Dirty. The Beds linens are not clean. We left through the side door and went to a Mariott courtyard 8 miles away. It is reasonable to expect a clean bed no matter where you stay or what you pay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ChristopherTM, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other brand locations in the future.
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I was in Berkley to do some work for Lawerence Berkley Labs. I had to bring equipment with me so I had tow a trailer.Therefore I had to park in the back of the property.Big mistake,not only my truck but several others had their windows shattered and vehicles broken into.Not that mgmt could do anything about it, but it seemed to a common thing.The security cameras were not working on that side of the building nice.I also had left my hanging clothes and a nice leather jacket in the closet of my room. When I called they gave me the runaround for 2 days. Nothing not even sorry.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our property.   I’m very sorry that your truck window was broken while at our hotel. The safety and security of our guests is very important to us, we are continuously looking for ways to improve.

Our security cameras are monitored by a security company in a remote location. With our support, they continually monitor and rectify any issues with our cameras or monitoring system. We apologize that the cameras were not operable during your time of need and have made sure they were fixed immediately following the incident.

We work very hard to keep our guests safe and ensure they leave 100% satisfied. I apologize again that you did not experience the best of stays at our hotel. However, I am working with our staff to rectify the problems highlighted in your post and hope you will give us a chance to show you our great strides towards improvement by staying at the hotel again in the near future.
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

i booked this hotel thinking it was going to be run down and very sketchy from the reviews.
when i got off on the exit and followed the google map directions i was worried seemed like a very ghetto neighborhood . but as i approached i was put at ease to see this hotel was in very good condition and right next to a main upscale looking shopping center target and panera bread in walking distance and almost walking distance to ikea. rthe hotel was right n the middle of probably the only nice part of that area then it gets sorta beat down as you get blocks away.very close to bart tho you have to take a free shuttle from almost right across the street of extended stay to get there nd back . but it saves you walking through any "danger". and i stayed for two nights and was impressed by the room size and all i chose a smoking queen studio and even tho it was a smoking room it wasnt bad nd didnt even smell like smoke when i walked in . and the room was only $100 a night mind you it was a huge event weekend in sf so thats truly not bad . and i left my car parked in front of the lobby which it remained safe i could see a car getting broken into if you parked behing the building cause it so secluded . but all in all it was great!

Room Tip: if you park in the back try and get a room over looking the back parking lot
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We have worked hard to keep it in great condition, acting as a "home away from home" for guests like yourself. It is our goal to not only present a premier product to our guests, but for it to be located in an area which would allow you to easily commute to and from different places and to readily have access to different shopping centers. By the sound of your review, we have been able to do all of this, which is so wonderful to hear.

Once again, from myself and the rest of the staff, thank you for your post about our hotel. Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area.
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I've been here almost 3 weeks. no hot water, warm at best. Vending machine was out of soda for 4 days. Requested to have my room cleaned Twice!! didnt happen. And the topper! I had mail forwarded to me. Later in the week i asked about this mail. The front desk person started looking through cabinets, drawers, etc. They found it, IT HAD BEEN THERE 3 DAYS!!! no call!!! no message!! Lucky i asked about it. this property is also on the fringe of the WORST AREA OF OAKLAND! The property is very well kept and the hotel itself is very clean. Cars were broken into while i stayed there.

Room Tip: find somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
I recently received a copy of your review for our hotel. Our company prides itself on providing each of our guests a hotel that is clean, displays top notch staff & service and offers all of the basic amenities during your stay. Because of this, I am so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

It is not the norm for our hotel to receive the sort of feedback you provided. Although it is discouraging to hear that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we are taking the comment to heart and will be working to ensure it does not happen again. Let me apologize once more, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope you will stay at this hotel or any other brand locations in the future.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We (myself and my Mom) had planned to stay at the Oakland-Emeryville location on Wed., June 13 through Sunday, June 17, 2012. Unexpectedly, we ended up checking out Friday morning because our requests to management for assistance were completely ignored.

The water in our bathtub wasn't draining. After we tried to get the water to drain, we asked the front desk-attendant to please have someone try and fix the issue. She said no problem and wrote down the request for maintenance. Upon our return to the hotel five hours later, the water was still in the tub, rendering us unable to shower again to prepare for our nighttime events.

We went back to the front desk and spoke to another attendant who said it was unlikely that anyone came to look at the bathtub (!) while we were gone. She said she would ask the night manager, who was due to soon arrive, to try and drain the tub. We also asked that if the tub couldn't be fixed to please move us to another room if one was available.

We left again and returned to the hotel at midnight. There was no one at the front desk other than a very nice cleaning lady (we realized later the front desk closed at 11pm). There's still water in our tub and there's no note from management telling us whether an attempt was made to fix the tub, or if we would be given another room. No communication at all. I called the 800-number to complain and asked about the hotel's policy related to charges for earlier-than-planned checkouts.

Friday morning at the front desk: I believe I was clear with the manager and the attendant (to whom I initially spoke about the tub) that we were checking out early, why, and that I didn't expect to be charged for Friday-Sunday. The manager claimed that I was seeking a refund for the days we had stayed. No, I just didn't want to be charged for the upcoming days. I decided to then call the corporate office to advise them of my problem, and it was then that the regional sales director stood up and said that we would not be charged for the Friday-Sunday days, and that we would receive a discount for the time we had already stayed.

I do appreciate that we were given a discount, as I hadn't sought that. Still, all of this didn't need to happen if the management had just communicated to us that they were addressing the tub issue and how it would be resolved. We don't ask for perfection, just decent communication and respect.

We ended up moving to the downtown Oakland Marriott for only $20 more a night. Great hotel.

Another thing that I should pass along: Upon our arrival, we were told that because of the length of our stay that no clean-up service for the room would be provided. If I had known that beforehand, that would've been a red flag for me.

(By the way, the Friday-morning front-desk manager did go to our room and said that he was able to drain the tub. While that was good, I asked him why couldn't anyone have done that earlier.)

Our first time at ExtendedStay will also mark our last visit there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
ChristopherTM, Regional Director of Operations at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel.  Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory.  Please know how truly sorry I am. The experience you described is regrettable.

We strive to ensure that our guests have an exceptional stay. As the Regional Director of Operations, I can assure you that I have brought each of the issues you expressed to the attention of our staff and management. As we know that a totally satisfied customer is one who will come back and stay with us again, we are sad to think that you might not return to our property due to your tumultuous stay. That is why we take your review so seriously. It reminds us that we still have room to improve.

Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of our other brand locations.

Been to Extended Stay America - Oakland - Emeryville? Share your experiences!